Period Fire extinguisher

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Period Fire extinguisher

Post by geoberni »

So Basil is a SII, 1955, and he doesn't get out much, but I try and keep him true to period.
So, in a moment of lockdown boredom, I thought what about a period Fire Extinguisher?

Searching Fleabay, the old 'Pyrene' Pump action type that were around from about the 1910s to the 1960s and were seen everywhere, quite prominent on buses as I recall from my youth, tend to command a quite hefty price; especially if they have a mounting bracket. which few do.
But I noticed there is a Nu-Swift extinguisher that is of the 50s/60s, unlike the Pyrene model it is pressurised, not hand pumped.
They're still filled with Carbon Tetrachloride, which is Montreal Protocol 2010 prohibited chemical :roll: but there's still a lot of it around. I'd rather keep this filled than add to the Ozone depletion by emptying it. It used to be used widely in Dry Cleaning Establishments...
So I managed to get one for £30 and it arrived looking like this:
NuSwift 1.jpg
NuSwift 1.jpg (224.99 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Nuswift 2.jpg
Nuswift 2.jpg (220.4 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
This particular model has the pressurised container inside an external body, because the original model was a simple 'Strike Top' and it discharged until empty, but then the brought out this lever action model.
It's now cleaned up and ready to go in the car, with or without it's 70 year old innards.
I'm thinking I might mount it on the floor beside the drivers seat, I'm not sure yet.
20210314_115711.jpg
20210314_115711.jpg (519.91 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
20210314_163301.jpg
20210314_163301.jpg (812.2 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
20210314_115823.jpg
20210314_115823.jpg (572.91 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Period Fire extinguisher

Post by alanworland »

Looks great! Can't say I've seen that model before?
I have a brass bodied Pyrene one I carry in the Morris but don't suppose it would work if needed!
(It's not the only one I carry)

Alan
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
An interesting point, I wonder how many of us carry one.
On the practical side would you need CO2 or foam?

A period one, like the one shown here, is a nice touch aesthetically though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

There were about 4 or 5 on Fleabay last month. It's a little slimmer than the Pyrene Pumps, but slightly taller. It's about the right height to be floor mounted beside the Driver's seat, whereas the Pyrene pump would perhaps be a bit fat for there.
The Pyrene pump, if full of actual CTC, should work. I'd be tempted to try a small pump and see if it weeps out the nozzle, or try the filler cap. Just get a little liquid and see if it smells like the Dry Cleaners used to.... :lol:
Fumes are quite potent so you'll soon know.

Just don't take a big sniff in case you pass out! :o
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:42 pm Hi,

A period one, like the one shown here, is a nice touch aesthetically though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Most of those sold as 'vehicle' size are Dry Powder. A good extinguishing agent, just a beggar if you use it on a small fire inside somewhere as the powder is corrosive to electronics circuit boards etc and a devil to clean up. Dust gets everywhere.
There a very few foam ones on the market in smaller sizes, but not CO2 and the smallest you can get in CO2 is the standard 2Kg one.
Basil the 1955 series II

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:42 pm
I'm sure we'd be amazed how many people don't carry one. Especially when you consider how many flammable materials and sources of ignition there are in an average vehicle!

Most of the small, single use extinguishers seem to be the 'Dry Power' type these days. CO2 and Foam extinguishers tend to be larger, so it depends if you have space in the vehicle to store and secure them. I wouldn't want a 6 litre Foam extinguisher flying about in a crash :o
On the practical side I suppose you may have a better chance of putting out a fire with a larger extinguisher.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I always thought that when heated, Carbon Tetrachloride created phosgene gas?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

paul 300358 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 pm I always thought that when heated, Carbon Tetrachloride created phosgene gas?
Yes, but only to very high temperatures, you basically have to be incinerating the CTC, hence why incineration is not a recommended means of disposal. So not recommended to use it on a magnesium fire for example.
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

I still have a Halon extinguisher, super effective and leaves no mess but unfortunately not very environmentally friendly and were banned.
They work by swamping the area in the gas and eliminating the oxygen/air.

Alan
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You can get the extinguishers refilled and serviced as they all have limited service life
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Our previous car (1953 Series 2 Jethro) had a Minimax extinguisher mounted under the bonnet as the screen wash bottle and I believe one or two other members used the same idea to great effect.
Guess what the latest car Willum is going to be wearing soon?
:wink:
Attachments
IMG_20210321_182637.jpg
IMG_20210321_182637.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1933 times

Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

bmc.jpeg
bmc.jpeg (70.19 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
From my Morris Minor 1000 BMC Approved Accessories pamphlet (from1968), you had a choice of two fire extinguishers to buy!

The big one, 9.5 x 1.5 inches in size, would have cost £3 0s 0d
The small one, 5.5 x 1.5 inches, would have cost the princely sum of £2 5s 0d

Interestingly, you could also have a choice of two different types of reversing light, and the choice of three different wing mirror designs!