HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Post by simmitc »

It is with great sadness that I hear of the death of Prince Philip, and I hope that all will join me in expressing our deepest sympathy to Her Majesty The Queen for the loss of her husband of over 70 years.

Regardless of one's political views or sense of humour, one must surely acknowledge Prince Philip's outstanding sense of duty and his service to his adopted country, his family, and the many charities and other organisations with which he has been associated. There must be thousands of people whose lives have been enriched by his influence.

It is a great shame that he was not able to celebrate his 100th birthday, and that current restrictions will limit any public celebration of his life; but he has done his duty, and may he rest in peace.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Post by geoberni »

Sad news indeed.
The first person after the Bishops to pledge his allegiance to the Queen at the Coronation and he performed his duties well to the end.
As the Queen herself has said on occasions, he was her strength, let's hope she remains strong for some years yet.
A quite remarkable chap, very down to earth and honest. A difficult back story that few these days know of or would understand.
The DofE Award Scheme he established in 1956 is now active in over 130 countries.

My RAF Ensign, flying in the garden to commemorate the RAF's Birthday on 1st April, has been at half mast since the news broke.
20210409_121934.jpg
20210409_121934.jpg (982.72 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Very, very sad news indeed.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

"Thousands of lives being enriched?"

Think the Grouse population would disagree!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

POMMReg wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:49 am "Thousands of lives being enriched?"

Think the Grouse population would disagree!
'Game Birds' are bred for shooting and get eaten afterwards.
Circle of life and all that.
Not a relevant comment.
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The difficult part for me is the want to kill and enjoyment some people get from blasting a bird out of the sky. I’m not happy killing anything unless something is in pain. There’s other food to eat. Btw Tigers aren’t killed to eat.
However I respect his support in later years, of the WWF and other environmental stuff.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 am However I respect his support in later years, of the WWF and other environmental stuff.
No so 'latter years', in 1961 the Prince was one of the original 7 founders of the international WWF organisation based in Switzerland and the first president of WWF-UK, from its establishment in 1961 through 1982.
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

——— ironically the same year he shot a Tiger !

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:59 pm ——— ironically the same year he shot a Tiger !
I believe Tigers in India in the early 60s were not considered endangered, in fact they were numerous enough that they were still considered a pest for destruction if anywhere near a village. That was the only one he shot, as a guest of the Maharaja of Jaipur; shortly after that supporting Tiger conservation.
Even today, the WWF is often linked with controversy, often over it's links to multinational corporations and some very dubious links with paramilitary groups in places like the Congo where deforestation is taking place..... :o
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

simmitc wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:05 pm It is with great sadness that I hear of the death of Prince Philip, and I hope that all will join me in expressing our deepest sympathy to Her Majesty The Queen for the loss of her husband of over 70 years.
Sadly, there is no depth too low for some in their efforts to be noticed. A delightful young lady named Karen Geier gave us the benefit of her wisdom with "sadness that he died peacefully"

I don't have the vocabulary to express the depth of my contempt for this sort of view
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

At the risk of prolonging the controversy, I’ve heard the one about not being endangered at that point, so let’s get a few heads on a wall. The thing is, it’s that sort of thinking that’s made them endangered, plus of course deforestation. Which Incidentally is the work of the same species as the hunter ! There are billions of the human animal, hardly endangered but still unacceptable to reduce their numbers. I know that’s rather ridiculous but sometimes an exaggerated example can start us thinking.

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

My son has been incubating some duck eggs and one hatched about the time of his passing. Someone pointed out that to buddhists, who believe in reincarnation, this could be the next life of the late duke.

I’m afraid the newcomer has become known as Philip, Duck of Edinburgh. :-?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

:D

POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

I have reservations with the monachy's support of charities, a big fat cheque from them would go FAR further than a speech.

NO respect for anyone killing wildlife, whether it's blasting some poor creature out of the sky OR chasing one around the countryside......

Cat amongst the Pigeons time....although MY Cat is just lazy.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!