public information

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

public information

Post by stuffedpike20 »

What is the point of the public information film currently on TV that advises drivers that break down to 'go left' on the motorway?

Even if your stricken car, and other drivers will allow you to go left; what is the point on a 'smart' motorway? You will not find a hard shoulder, and would be very lucky to be near a layby.

I can think of better public information films to spend money on.

What public information film would you make?
Last edited by stuffedpike20 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: public information

Post by Sleeper »

It is in place to ease the Goverments conscience over any motorway deaths...

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
The insanity behind so called 'smart motorways' has been discussed quite recently on here, see link below.
I think they're hoping they could prove to be a very efficient way of reducing the population, especially when the elctronic warning boards fail and there's a multiple pile up ahead with no possibility of avoiding or even attempting to avoid it.......
Plus peoples lives are expendable, better that than loosing face by admitting their mistake and putting the hard shoulder back. :evil:
Best wishes,
Mike.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73351
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

D'oh! Sorry everyone; I did not see that.

Might have known that you lot would have been on the ball! :oops:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree entirely about the motorway business - in the film, there just happens to be a layby AND a convenient exit slip road. In reality, one often has to drive for miles on a trunk road / motorway before finding either. However, to avoid re-running that debate...

How about a film to explain why they have a census and what they do with it. I found some of the questions to be subjective (with no clue as to how to evaluate the answer), and the rest utterly pointless. The best must have been the one that said "this question is blank". It's supposed to inform Government about what is needed, but at no point was there a question that asked me what I wanted or needed - and if there had been, then "they" would not have taken any notice anyway. Let's see a film selling the benefits f that pointless exercise, and just how awful the film will be.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Census is essentially a Numbers Game for statisticians, plus a record of names for people to look at in 101 years to see where their ancestors lived.
It's a one-stop-shop for those government departments that track population, but with 10 years between each one, it's not long before it gets out of date.
For example, this time around, for the first time, the online questionnaire (i understand it was added after the paper forms had gone to print) had a question 'Are you a Forces Veteran', because the Veterans Agency does not actually know how many there are. They can make 'educated guesses' but since many that only serve a short time did not serve a pensionable engagement, they can't rely on pension records. So they have a 'Veteran's Covenant' but no accurate record of how many are affected.
Another example, Census also gives them a snapshot of how many children are still living at home, even though they are perhaps in their 30s or 40s. :roll:
How many might be 'Carers' even though not on official records because they don't claim a Carer's Allowance.

The data is factored into construction of public buildings and transport, so hospitals, bus routes, even some of the train line restorations that are being planned to reverse some of the Beeching Cuts.

ONS did release a short film, but it's pretty Naff to be honest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qcMa9yUS4
Basil the 1955 series II

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

My dad was born in 1910, and it was interesting to view the 1911 census and see his name there.

I am a bit suspicious of some of the new questions now though.

If I was going to make a public information film, it would be telling people to stop cycling and E-scooting on the pavements.
No surprise there then. :evil:
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Smart motorways are pathetic like the people who designed them :evil: