Caravaning with a Traveller

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Caravaning with a Traveller

Post by Bowie69 »

....and another link:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

...and a quote:
What you can tow
The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.

View your driving licence information to see if you’re allowed to tow.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences issued before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Bowie69 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:26 pm
Licences issued before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
[/quote]

One aspect I wasn't aware of until I had to apply for my 70+ licence recently is that you lose the right to tow trailers above 750kg, if you had it previously, unless you submit a medical report. I didn't, as it's only theoretical for me, so I can't comment on how much a medical report would cost. My licence came back with licence category B restricted as though I hadn't passed my test until after 1 Jan 1997, although this is only found by using the DVLA online checker, the licence itself staying the same. Categories C1, C1E and D1E have been removed from my licence.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Mark Wilson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:12 am
One aspect I wasn't aware of until I had to apply for my 70+ licence recently is that you lose the right to tow trailers above 750kg, if you had it previously, unless you submit a medical report. I didn't, as it's only theoretical for me, so I can't comment on how much a medical report would cost. My licence came back with licence category B restricted as though I hadn't passed my test until after 1 Jan 1997, although this is only found by using the DVLA online checker, the licence itself staying the same. Categories C1, C1E and D1E have been removed from my licence.
Sound's like you've been BS'd by the DVLA.

You should have retained your B+E as you qualified for it before 1997.

All reputable online resources, including Caravan Club, Camping & Caravan Club and numerous commercial websites such as Insurance companies, towbar companies and auto magazines basically say :
On reaching the age of 70, drivers will retain their driving entitlement for Category B and Category B+E (provided Category B+E was held prior to the expiry date of their driving licence).
What you may have fallen foul of is the inability of DVLA to do anything correctly; there was a big stink a few years back with people loosing their Motorbike entitlement when they renewed at 70 all because 'Computer Said No'....
Basil the 1955 series II

Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

To round this off, the government have decided to rationalise things a little, and removed the need for the B+E test, now everyone even with a post-1997 licence will be able to tow 3500Kg:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-f ... utumn-2021

The relevant piece of copy:
What will change later in 2021
If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’ll be allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM when the law changes.

DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers. You’ll get category BE added to your driving licence when you get a new photocard driving licence.

You do not need to contact DVLA for this to happen. It will be done automatically.

The date the law will change has not yet been confirmed. Sign up for email alerts to be told when the law changes.
Cue everyone moaning about it will affect safety....personally I doubt it will, but there we are.

Part of the reason for doing this is to fast-track people into HGV testing, where you would have to take this B+E test before the HGV test. They are also amalgamating the rigid body and articulated tests.so really streamlining things.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Why have i had to put three people who work for me through a test .I have to supply a pass certificate to DVLA before i can get them insured otherwise all they can tow is a tiny trailer :roll:
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Well, one of the benefits of Brexit.... the original laws came into harmonise with european cousins...

For all the new people you employ you now won't have to! :)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Bowie69 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 am Cue everyone moaning about it will affect safety....personally I doubt it will, but there we are.

Part of the reason for doing this is to fast-track people into HGV testing, where you would have to take this B+E test before the HGV test. They are also amalgamating the rigid body and articulated tests.so really streamlining things.
You did not have to have passed B+E before going for an HGV test, but the test is conducted by the same people at the same place as the HGV tests - hence freeing up the resource.

To get full artic entitlement, you had to have done rigid first, thats now not the case freeing up more capacity...
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

when i passed my HGV Class 1 (artic) test in 1979,you didn't even have to have a full car licence to take your test! just ordinary 'L' plates as well as the HGV learner plates. apart from that,i love to see classic cars towing a caravan :)
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Somewhat off-topic, but then we are in the 'off-topic' section, here are some pics of a retro-camping AGM weekend we went to recently, on the banks of the river Isle near Perigueux.
Lovely campsite.
P9250001.jpeg
P9250001.jpeg (254.58 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
P9250003.jpeg
P9250003.jpeg (273.68 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
P9250005.jpeg
P9250005.jpeg (249.26 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
P9250006.jpeg
P9250006.jpeg (239.86 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
P9250007.jpeg
P9250007.jpeg (244.54 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

And one of our old trailer tent at the meet:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (160.56 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Nice photos, looks like you had the weather for it.

Out of interest what trailer tent do you have? Looks a very 60s/70s colour scheme.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

It's a Camp-Let GT made in 1979.
We bought it second-hand mid '80s and used it at MMOC rallies, on MOT and for our main holidays.
We used it much less after moving to France, and from 2001 it was just stored in a dry garage.
We dug it out in September 2019 to see if renovation and re-use was viable: all it needed was reproofing the canvas, a mega clean, new mattrresses, new tyres and some general TLC. We finally tested it in September last year to see if it worked and if we still enjoyed it.
Covid of course interrupted plans for early this year but we have still managed three trips with it.
It will be on the road again next year!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Nice Commer Maidstone. I recognise it from another internet group 8)
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

panky wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:37 am Nice Commer Maidstone. I recognise it from another internet group 8)
if you're looking for a winter project,panky..there's a Commer motorhome on ebay that needs saving! £2,995 buy it now :)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yes I've seen that one and I have one the same in slightly better condition :D
I think I'll be concentrating on Ted the traveller for a little while yet, just in the process of deciding which timber sections can be salvaged :roll:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Having owned one or two over the years, I reckon there is only one way to properly, satisfactorily deal with poor timber on a Traveller and that is to replace ALL of it. I know it is a big expense and we all look to keep costs down as much as possible but having done as much work as you already have to your Traveller it would be a shame to "spoil the ship". I haven't seen your car of course, but for what it's worth, that is what I'd be looking to do :wink:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I agree. I made the mistake of buying a load of woodwork before I had the car stripped down and now I've found the the cant rails one cab pillar and the foot sections forward of the wheel arches also need replacing. I'm doing very small repairs to one cab pillar and the end of a wheel arch section, it's only the wheel arches and the pillar I'm not replacing so I may look again at the costs. I know it will all add up to more than buying the complete kit but you live and learn :cry:
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

I found this about ‘housecars’

https://mariothemultipla.wordpress.com/ ... iscovered/

Reminds me of a toy I had when very young which was a fire engine shaped like an egg.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Reminds me in a way of the Willerby Vogue styling, here's a video showing one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl81goxshKk