Surveillance and Google Earth

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Surveillance and Google Earth

Post by geoberni »

Coming here from this Tangent
posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=73781#pr670643

There's a T Junction in a village not far from me, where the image jumps between 2009 / 2011.
The <> markings get confused and don't travel across the top of the T junction, suddenly changing from 3 arrows to 2.
The Image suddenly changes between these images... :lol:
snip1.JPG
snip1.JPG (177.34 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
snip2.JPG
snip2.JPG (148.83 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
All this is something unknown to forum members such as Nickol, as German privacy Laws don't allow them to provide Streetview.
Basil the 1955 series II

Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Surveillance and Google Earth

Post by Nickol »

Famous at last!

The last time I looked, which was perhaps 2 or 3 years ago Street view was available but you can opt out as a property owner so as not to have your frontage shown.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nickol wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 pm Famous at last!

The last time I looked, which was perhaps 2 or 3 years ago Street view was available but you can opt out as a property owner so as not to have your frontage shown.
:lol: :lol:
Check out https://www.iamexpat.de/lifestyle/lifes ... ew-germany
Basil the 1955 series II

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Nickol is correct and you can opt out of ariel views of your property online :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Looking at the two images, it's the owner's choice, and I can understand the installation of the driveway; but much prefer the rural aspect of the earlier hedge.

Google earth and streetview can be incredibly useful. but unfortunately, not only to law=abiding citizens, and I wish that we had to option to suppress images in the

UK.

As for showing one's frontage, I suppose it's OK in warm weather :-?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:02 am Looking at the two images, it's the owner's choice, and I can understand the installation of the driveway; but much prefer the rural aspect of the earlier hedge.
In that particular case, the modifications to the building and change to the perimeter are a result of conversion of ''The Olde Forge' private residence to include a Tea Rooms.
Basil the 1955 series II

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

geoberni wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:20 pm
Nickol wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 pm Famous at last!

:lol: :lol:
Check out https://www.iamexpat.de/lifestyle/lifes ... ew-germany
Wahnsinnig! Just had a look in Frankfurt-am-Main - Street view seems to work ok......
Clayton James
Minor Friendly

Post by Clayton James »

That's cool, I always use Google Earth to find out a certain location to avoid getting lost.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I avoid Goggle as much as I can. The least support for US American multis the better.

Thus use "Startpage.com" for searching - as you are not tracked and "openstreetmap.org" for your maps. and routing. ...

oh, and do not forget to alter your computer language settings so it defaults to british english as opposed to USA.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nickol wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:38 am
oh, and do not forget to alter your computer language settings so it defaults to british english as opposed to USA.
On that subject, in computer browsers it is often the case that although the browser settings are in for example, British English, when you are posting/typing in a 'Text Box', such as I am doing with this reply, it can often be that the language has to be separately changed.
This is done by Right Click in the text box and select Language in the 'box'.

"openstreetmap.org" for your maps. and routing. ...
I've found that Open Street Map isn't 100% reliable. It has 2 options when selecting, for example, CAR (OSRM) which I assume is On Street Road Map or similar, and something called CAR (GraphHopper).
From my house, for most routes, OSRM tries to take me through the High School Grounds, and along a single track unadopted* road....
The GraphHopper option does at least keep to the public highway.... :lol:

*For those that don't know, an unadopted road is one that the local authorities have never taken responsibility for, so there's no street lights, footpath, and no proper road surface. Possibly not even any drains. It has to be maintained by the residents.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Nickol wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:38 am Thus use "Startpage.com" for searching - as you are not tracked
I've not tried it specifically, but I've tried other such search engines that use Google Search without the tracking, the trouble was that I noticed that if I was searching for something, say a website I visited once years ago after losing almost all my bookmarks a few of weeks ago :evil: then such sites didn't find it.

Same search query on Google and usually the site came up in the first few resullts.

As to streetview, there's a petrol station near here that switches names, branding etc. and a whole building that switches between partial demolition from a Littl e Chef and turning into a Burger King.