Falling standards

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Falling standards

Post by POMMReg »

Anyone else irritated by ppl ONLY using forks when eating?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Falling standards

Post by les »

Maybe they’ve just moved on from using fingers. Give them time !
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I get irritated by people who shorten words into text speak so that we have to translate it :wink:
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

POMMReg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 pm Anyone else irritated by ppl ONLY using forks when eating?
My old man used to tell us " Use your knife - you're not a bloody Yank"!
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

People who spell Bought as Brought - it's rife
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

And they should OF known better... :evil:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

"OF" in so may places where it's not needed! Something is outside, not outside of.

Another example of low standards: my local MP who is also Home Secretary, writing to me and spelling "centre" in the American way, and also using a plural to describe a single item :roll:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

"comprising of" when it should just be "comprising"...... :roll:
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

So, what gets my goat is the use of 'your' when the writer mean 'you're'. So, another thing - people's inability to differentiate between 'where', 'we're' and 'were' & 'they're', 'there' and 'their'.

So, also while we're at it - the random use of apostrophes for simple plural words. So I must have been off school that day when more than one table becomes several 'table's' and we learned about a field of cow's etc. So, that's another one - 'ect' instead of 'etc'.

So, the last one, for now, is the insistence on separating single words into their component parts eg: 'super intendant' for 'superintendent', 'over rider' for 'overider', 'all be it' for 'albeit', etc. So, there is also the opposite phenomenon - 'allot' instead of 'a lot', 'icecream' for 'ice cream', 'thankyou' for 'thank you' etc.

So, I have got one final one......and you've probably guessed it. It's the current trend of starting every b****y sentence with 'so'. Why?

Oh, I feel so much better now! :D :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Is it just the relative age of the people posting here, or our higher standard of literacy, irrespective of age? :-?

Our local ice cream van is operated by Pete and is branded to say it is the local Town's favourite, but nay an apostrophe in sight....
So it is Petes Ices Granthams Finest...

Meanwhile, there is a New & Used Static Caravan dealership on the A52 approaching Grantham that depending on which of their many signs you read is either Lincolnshire Statics Ltd or Lincolnshire Static's Ltd
Static.JPG
Static.JPG (153.83 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

I get irritated when people tell me Wagon Wheels have not shrank in diameter.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

So :D What about———— Sorry officer, ‘I don’t know nothing‘
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Whst about dodgy new moggie parts.That will get your goat.TTFN
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Was Jagger/Richards with "....get off of my cloud.."

Severe weather warning, surely, warning of severe weather?
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

I'm not sure it could be described as 'falling standards' but the increasingly widespread use of 'snuck' as the past tense of 'sneak' irritates me more than perhaps it should. Also, before I descend from my high horse, the mistaken use of the Americanism 'curb' when people are referring to the kerb (clearly, this is an American-based site/host/whatever as that word attracted the wavy red line of admonishment) and finally (for now, but as I do enjoy a good moan, probably not for long) the widespread misuse of 'concourse' ("a large open area inside or in front of a public building") when what they actually mean is the French 'Concours d'Elegance' ("Concours d'Elegance (French: concours d'élégance) is a term of French origin that means a "competition of elegance" and refers to an event where prestigious vehicles are displayed and judged"), known colloquially in this country as 'concours'. And breathe... 8)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Myrtles Man wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:57 pm I'm not sure it could be described as 'falling standards' but the increasingly widespread use of 'snuck' as the past tense of 'sneak' irritates me more than perhaps it should. Also, before I descend from my high horse, the mistaken use of the Americanism 'curb' when people are referring to the kerb (clearly, this is an American-based site/host/whatever as that word attracted the wavy red line of admonishment) and finally (for now, but as I do enjoy a good moan, probably not for long) the widespread misuse of 'concourse' ("a large open area inside or in front of a public building") when what they actually mean is the French 'Concours d'Elegance' ("Concours d'Elegance (French: concours d'élégance) is a term of French origin that means a "competition of elegance" and refers to an event where prestigious vehicles are displayed and judged"), known colloquially in this country as 'concours'. And breathe... 8)
Actually, the nationality of the forum hosting has nothing to do with the wiggly red line appearing under 'curb' or 'kerb' .
It's purely down to the device you are using to enter your comments....
If you're on a computer, then a right click in the text 'box' should bring up the option to set the language.
You will note that mine is set to English UK and neither has been given a red line, unlike the 'snuck' that you entered.

So perhaps you should check your settings. :wink:
MMOC Standards.JPG
MMOC Standards.JPG (163.94 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

The falling standards of being able to cope with a little bit of snow.
Anyone who grew up in the 70s or earlier will understand my exasperation with how people cope with a dusting of the white stuff. Sadly predictable...

The temperature drops to -2 degrees C, half an inch of snow falls: People ring up and say they can’t get to work before buying a cheap made in China plastic sledge and spent 10 minutes shuffling 3 inches forward at a time on cold mud before the sledge breaks and they go home and watch daytime TV.

The temperature drops to -2.6 degrees C and the half inch of snow lasts for more than three days: Tabloids have headlines like ‘Snowmageddon” or “The Beast from the East” and compare the total volume of snow that fell to ‘X’ number of Olympic swimming pools or if all piled up to heights of ‘X’ Nelsons columns.

The temperature in now 0 degrees C and the half an inch of snow has lasted for more than a week: Parliament anoints a ‘Minister for Snow’ or a ‘Snow Tsar’ to get the country running again.

Common sense seems to be correlated to the temperature for some people!
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

geoberni wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 pm
Actually, the nationality of the forum hosting has nothing to do with the wiggly red line appearing under 'curb' or 'kerb' .
It's purely down to the device you are using to enter your comments....

So perhaps you should check your settings. :wink:

MMOC Standards.JPG

Ah, I see. Still, in defence of my admitted ignorance in such matters, I did include the catch-all 'whatever'. :wink:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

The proverbial fly on top of Fido's hidden offering behind the settee, is..DOVE!!

Olympic Diving Gold Medalist, Dove from the highest board!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A Dove can dive from a good height and at great speed. Their close relative, the pigeon received medals post ww2, not an Olympic medal but one just as important :D