Falling standards

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Falling standards

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:29 pm A Dove can dive from a good height and at great speed. Their close relative, the pigeon received medals post ww2, not an Olympic medal but one just as important :D
American term for submarine personnel, "Submarinina's",
THEY must of DOVE too, thank heavens "Das Boot" was German!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Enough of this stultiloquence Chris.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:58 am Enough of this stultiloquence Chris.
T'was a break from numbering activities....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Oh no the spelling and grammar police are out :o
Clayton James
Minor Friendly

Post by Clayton James »

POMMReg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 pm Anyone else irritated by ppl ONLY using forks when eating?
No, I think it's normal. Some food doesn't require other utensils to eat, like pasta.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Some people would say, "This turkey cost me six pound."
No it didn't, It cost you six poundS."

If someone says "This turkey cost me six euros." they are wrong.
It cost you six EURO.

"I got this turkey for free."
No you didn't, you got that turkey 'free' or 'free of charge'.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'FOR FREE'!!!!!!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Five
stuffedpike20 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:13 am THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'FOR FREE'!!!!!!
Five For Free Too Won.... :lol:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[/quote
No, I think it's normal. Some food doesn't require other utensils to eat, like pasta.
[/quote]

Normal is a knife in the right hand and fork in the left, what ever you eat from a plate. However you can put the knife down to drink. :D
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As to whether that is "normal" depends upon whether one is right handed or left handed!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Out of interest, apparently the majority of left handed people use the accepted ‘right handed’ way. So my term normal, in this case, should still apply :D
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I can confirm I am one of those left handed people that eat the right handed way :D
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Things like ppl identifing themselves as "gender neutral", "Yoofs" who adopt some form of Jamaican accent, "Train" station - heard recently on R4 - in fact, EVERYTHING tends to irritate me.

University educated ppl thorougly absorbed by reality shows, modern "music" - gone are the days of Roxy Music & Pink Floyd - melodic songs played using proper instruments.

Go further....proper Comedy, not this childish nonsence where a rude word will have the audience fallling about in raucious laughter...

Moan, moan, moan....
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

‘Init’
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Have you oldies not considered that you might have just stopped actively seeking out new culture, and the old media organisations you follow operate on a business model of blethering on about how awful everything is to get web traffic?

:wink:
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It’s not all bad but if you’re young you don’t know what things were like in the past to make the comparison, however there were issues then of course but there were limits, unlike now.
‘You’ve got to be older to appreciate blackbirds’
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Memory has a funny habit of being selective, over-rehearsing positive memories, making one more comfortable as the past is by definition more certain than the present or future, and confirming the biases one has at the time of recollection. As such it can basically become myth. Even the ancient Athenians moaned that they were in decline after a purported previous golden age!

There is quite a bit of interesting research literature around the subject.

That said, I agree that some things have gotten worse, but I don't think they're the things others in the thread might think. The exception being the diminishing ability to be able to and to be allowed to repair ones own cars and appliances, I'd expect consensus here there! :lol:
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m sorry you think I might have imagined it all. :D
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Monty-4 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:25 pm Memory has a funny habit of being selective, over-rehearsing positive memories, making one more comfortable as the past is by definition more certain than the present or future, and confirming the biases one has at the time of recollection. As such it can basically become myth. Even the ancient Athenians moaned that they were in decline after a purported previous golden age!

There is quite a bit of interesting research literature around the subject.

That said, I agree that some things have gotten worse, but I don't think they're the things others in the thread might think. The exception being the diminishing ability to be able to and to be allowed to repair ones own cars and appliances, I'd expect consensus here there! :lol:
"GOTTEN" is yet ANOTHER Americanism I hate!

Invading distant lands, causing untold mayhem & suffering to the inhabitants they're quite good at, language, not so good!
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

"The English decline of gotten

The huge list of example sentences in the OED suggests that gotten reigned supreme until the late 1500s, when got increasingly appeared in its place. Shakespeare and Hobbes used both. Got seems to have overtaken gotten around 1700.

Geoffrey Chaucer (Legend of Good Women, c1386): Ffor he woste wel she wolde nat ben geten

John Paston (letter, 1477): The Frenshe Kynge hathe gothen many off the townys off the Dukys off Borgoyne

Myles Coverdale (Bible translation, 1535): Treasures that are wickedly gotten, profit nothinge

William Shakespeare (Henry VI pt 2, c1591): Jack Cade hath gotten London Bridge

Shakespeare (Henry VI pt 3, c1591): The Army of the Queene hath got the field

Walter Raleigh (letter, 1618): I had gotten my libertye

Richard Whitlock (Zootomia, 1654): they should have got a whipping

John Evelyn (letter, 1690): I have now gotten me a pair of new horses

George Berkeley (Alciphron, 1732): Some old Ideas may be lost, and some new ones got

John Stepple (testimony at the Old Bailey, 1742): I would go and fetch a Constable, for he had got the Thief

Usage commentators eventually noticed the change, but too late to do anything about it. Robert Lowth’s popular Short Introduction to English Grammar (1762) complained about “a very great Corruption, by which the Form of the Past Time is confounded with that of the Participle” – including the use of got instead of gotten. Lowth said: “This confusion prevails greatly in common discourse, and is too much authorised by the example of some of our best Writers.”

Maybe Lowth was thinking of Samuel Johnson, whose dictionary, seven years earlier, had uncritically listed both got and gotten as options for the past participle of get. Neither Johnson nor Lowth commented on the difference between static and dynamic situations.

And then in 1795, Lindley Murray’s blockbuster English Grammar declared that gotten was “obsolete”. That’s an overstatement, but by then it was uncommon, at least in standard usage. It partly survived in some nonstandard dialects (such as in Scotland and Ireland), as well as in the fossilised phrase ill-gotten gains. And there British English stayed for the best part of two centuries."
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

How can you do that, first thing in the morning? :o