Falling standards

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Falling standards

Post by philthehill »

Flairs - large bottomed trousers much like sailors bellbottom trousers and adopted as de-rigor by Northern Soul aficionados 8)

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

philthehill wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:04 pm Flairs - large bottomed trousers much like sailors bellbottom trousers and adopted as de-rigor by Northern Soul aficionados 8)
Oh..... Flares!
Lak der fings ah yoos ta ware!
Purple crushed velvet with 18" leg ends... Legends?..... I'll get me coat, goat whatever! 😂

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I can’t believe that needed an explanation! I must be getting old, so with that in mind, and not veering too much off topic, (don’t want to upset our poster ‘classiccars’,) I found a load of conkers on the ground yesterday, kids probably don’t know what they are now, once they’d actively search for them. Remember bin men who collected the bin from wherever it was kept. The early morning milkman, two pints of silver top.
Oh, one more thing, where I worked there was a crèche, the asphalt In the playground was soft and would ‘give’ if a child fell, no more grazed knees now. There’s too many people in the world for the old niceties. Opps better not go there. Next please ! :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Life was so much better in Victorian England, when we ruled the waves and a good chunk of the world itself to boot. The rest knew it's place! :D
Bring back the British Empire, that's the answer.
Throw in a little extra democracy and some social / racial tolerance for good measure (although I still don't think we were ever as bad as the American deep south) and we'll put the world to rights by teatime.
Talking of which, afternoon tea anyone..................... :D
National Service in the Colonies will sort out our errant youth, that and allowing our teachers some disciplinary powers once more.
Guess I'm just an Imperialist idealist and not apologising............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well there were some horrible things done to certain people going back that far, so maybe we’ll agree to differ there.
Disrespect for humans and animals was widespread. Although far from perfect, I would suggest in that respect, we’ve moved on a bit, well at least here.
Last edited by les on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Talking of which, afternoon tea anyone..................... :D
Surely you mean 'Tiffin', Mike. :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Surely you mean 'Tiffin', Mike. :D
Of course....... Would you be Sir Sidney Ruffdiamond by chance?.............
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

‘Life was better’ ?

Irish famine

Highland clearances

Bloody code

Poor law and workhouses

Child labour

Transportation

Navy press gangs

Peterloo

Tolpuddle

You are joking aren’t you?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Oh Ian, you're making me all misty eyed with nostalgia :(
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

And things are so good now in GB according to Boris & co., and if they are not good it's not their fault, it's everyone else's fault :roll:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

And things are so good now in GB according to Boris & co., and if they are not good it's not their fault, it's everyone else's fault :roll:
When the alternative is virtual communism under Labour (even with Sir Kier at the helm -- and the left are agitating for his replacement) I think you'll find they may be re-elected.
That is so long as they get their act together properly between now and the next election, as they have been saying, 'they can't fatten the calf on market day'.
However, a significant contributing factor is the chaos left in the aftermath of this global pandemic we are just beginning to emerge from.
Best wishes,
Mike.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

I was merely commenting on what was said by various people in the UK government yesterday and today, before the Pandora Papers began to dominate the news reports.
And as for the pandemic, the Uk's current reported rates of Covid infection are scarily high compared to those of the country I live in.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

‘Life was better’ ?

Irish famine 1845 to 1852

Highland clearances Started in the 1750's and went on through to the 1860's.

Bloody code Instigated with the 'Waltham Black Act of 1723' -- pre Victorian era.

Poor law and workhouses 1601 and 1834 -- so instigated before the start of Victoria's reign.

Child labour Been going on for centuries (still going on in some parts of the world), initially legislated
against in the UK in 1933.

Transportation Started about 1788. Ceased in 1868 -- 30 years into her 64 year reign.

Navy press gangs Effectively ceased in 1815 with the end of the Napoleonic wars -- pre Victoria.

Peterloo 16th August 1819 -- pre Victorian era.

Tolpuddle 24th February 1834 -- pre Victorian era.

You are joking aren’t you?
Victoria came to the throne on 20th June 1837 (died 22nd January 1901). So allot of the above can't be linked to her reign.
No the world wasn't perfect back then (but then neither is it now), however we were rightly proud to be British and patriotic.
While I'm at it, I would like to state that I am not going to apologise for my country's history to anyone.
Every country has a history and every country has dark deeds and injustice in it's past.
The world was a very different place, governed by the attitudes and politics of the time.
Yes, we have moved on since then, however no-one has the right to judge their forefathers by today's standards, as they lived by a different set of rules and standards to what we do today.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I think that we may be drifting a little off topic now.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

But this is the off-topic section... :lol:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You certainly get a glimpse of contributors character when some of these threads drift ! :D
——- and yes, this is the Off Topic section !
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

And their ages, Les!
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Societies do not change overnight with the accession of a new monarch so I don’t think Victoria’s dates alter the validity of my comment about the good old days. I drew up that list a while ago in response to a young relation who had been learning about the slave trade. Listening to some of the slave trade activists you might get the impression that during that era the British all lived like characters from a Jane Austen novel which of course was far from the case.

It is a sorry comment on modern politics that debate runs along the lines of which party is the least appalling.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

jagnut66 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am
When the alternative is virtual communism under Labour (even with Sir Kier at the helm -- and the left are agitating for his replacement) I think you'll find they may be re-elected.
That is so long as they get their act together properly between now and the next election, as they have been saying, 'they can't fatten the calf on market day'.
However, a significant contributing factor is the chaos left in the aftermath of this global pandemic we are just beginning to emerge from.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Incredible. :lol:

Mild social democracy not even going as far as many Scandinavian countries is communism, and genocidal imperial regimes were a good thing?

Starting to think you're just taking the mickey to get us riled up.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Over 40yrs of Tory/Quasy Tory rule and no-one complains that much.

Who wrote about "continual revolution"(?) Chairman (Red Book) Mao?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!