Goodbye 'GB'

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MCYorks
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Goodbye 'GB'

Post by MCYorks »

I'm sure some members will already have seen this announcement, but for the benefit of those who haven't.
After 111 years, the old 'GB' oval and 'GB' stickers/numberplates are now, no longer valid when travelling outside the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... dentifiers
So we'll all have to fit a 'UK' oval if travelling abroad. Though, I suspect most classic owners will be keeping the period 'GB' version fitted while in the UK.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Goodbye 'GB'

Post by jagnut66 »

Though, I suspect most classic owners will be keeping the period 'GB' version fitted while in the UK.
I will be! God bless Great Britain! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Rule Britannia I say! :lol:
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

what a ridiculous waste of time and resources. another one of those brexit dividends i suppose...
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

As I mentioned in a different thread, it was done because they thought it long overdue since GB doesn't include Northern Ireland and the UK does.

The cynical side of me noticed this change was introduced during all the problems at the ports...
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Ironic really, considering how disunited the country has become with little governments popping up everywhere.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

What will they use if Scotland is persuaded to leave by the fish? :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Given the grimness of Irish history and the deeply entrenched animosities there this does seem like an absurdly small sticking plaster.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Why do some people post their comments in bold?
Maybe a younger person hasn't told them that doing so so can be interpreted as offensive & bullying, whether or not an individual reader perceives it as OK or PC or not?
Internet etiquette... now there's an off-Topic topic for discussion.........
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

woodiesenfrance wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:10 pm Why do some people post their comments in bold?
Maybe a younger person hasn't told them that doing so so can be interpreted as offensive & bullying, whether or not an individual reader perceives it as OK or PC or not?
Why do some people post rhetorical questions that invalidate or cancel another posters opinion, simply because they choose to express themselves differently to our own choices? I'd very humbly suggest that that is just as, if not more, potentially offensive and bullying as Mike using bold type in his answers. But hey, as you say, there's an off-topic topic, eh? 8)
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I don't find bold posting to be in the least bit offensive, and have never heard of it being interpreted thus. Ever since we had upper and lower case characters available (I can remember when we had only upper case as the code set wasn't able to handle two cases) then UPPER case has been regarded as SHOUTING, but so far as I know, bold, underline, and italic are used for emphasis or headings. However, there are plenty of people who find it easier to read bold text, and we want to be as inclusive as possible. I prefer serif text, others prefer sans serif. It's personal choice, so I will not criticise anyone for their preferred style.

Edit: I also won't criticise anyone for asking questions that have been answered in previous topics, there are so many posts on the board, it's impossible to remember all of them.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Edit: I see simmitc got ahead of me.
woodiesenfrance wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:10 pm Why do some people post their comments in bold?
MUST BE A NEW THING. BACK WHEN I STARTED ON THE INTERNET (1999) THE ONLY REAL RULE WAS NOT TO USE ALL CAPS AS IT WAS CONSIDERED OFFENSIVE AS IT'S LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING. MIND YOU, THE FORUMS AND CHAT ROOMS I USED HAD NO BOLD, ITALICS, ETC. TO USE BACK THEN. THAT AND DID YOU KNOW THAT ALL CAPS IS HARDER TO READ?

ALSO THIS IS WHY WHEN THE UK WERE PLANNING TO INTRODUCE ROAD SIGNS THEY LOOKED INTO HOW TO CLEARLY PASS INFORMATION TO DRIVERS AND DISCOVERED THAT AN UPPER CASE START AND ALL THE REST AS LOWER CASE WAS EASIER TO Read. :wink:

Actually online from time to time you used to get people using all caps, and apologising because their keyboards had broken. In fact thanks to our home computers keyboard going faulty I had to submit an entire English essay where the wORDS wERE lIKE tHIS. :lol:

I've met a few people online who write in all caps, and bold due to eyesight issues, and in terms of etiquette even the most strict moderators out there don't tend to enforce their own rules against such things.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

“People get addicted to feeling offended all the time because it gives them a high; being self-righteous and morally superior feels good.”
Mark Manson, from a book who's title I won't print here, but which feels entirely apposite

In large font for no other reason than that, well, I can
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

woodiesenfrance wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:10 pm can be interpreted as offensive & bullying
Just so long as woodiesenfrance doesn't think our replies are intended to offend/bully her of course...
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Chief wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 am In fact thanks to our home computers keyboard going faulty I had to submit an entire English essay where the wORDS wERE lIKE tHIS. :lol:
You've reminded me of an exchange between myself and Comet in Lincoln from more than a decade ago:
Mr M J D an
xxxxxx

Th Manag r
Unit 1 Tritton R tail Park
Tritton Road
Lincoln LN6 7AN

D ar ir/Madam

I am writing with r f r nc to a ony Vaio laptop comput r which I purcha d from your tor in Nov mb r 2007. R c ntly two of th k y b cam d tach d from th k yboard and hav d f at d all att mpt at r patriation. Unfortunat ly th rrant k y , b ing th l tt r aft r D, and th l tt r aft r R in th alphab t, ar rath r critical charact r in th ngli h languag , and th m b ing mi ing in action t nd to mak l tt r writing a not ntir ly ati factory xp ri nc .

I rang Com t Cu tom r Car numb r to nquir about a r pair and wa told that a my comput r wa now out of warranty, I would hav to pay £60 ' xamination f ' for a fault diagno i , and th n an additional charg for any part and labour to r pair. I r adily acc pt that my comput r i out id of th 12 month warranty, but f l that a lightly-u d laptop hould c tainly la t four or fiv y ar , p cially a pr mium pric product uch a a ony Vaio, and I don't think my laptop i of ati factory quality a d fin d in th OGA.

Having mad my own nquiri about k yboard r plac m nt , I'm told that thi i a r a onably straightforward r pair and I am writing to r qu t that Com t p rform that r pair a a matt r of goodwill, or off r a uitabl r duction in th pric of a n w mod l. Alt nativ ly you might off r a di count off th pric of om tran lation oftwar in a languag which do 'nt plac uch a h avy r lianc on th l tt r ' ' and ' '.

Int r tingly, th Oxford ngli h Dictionary ugg t that th long t ngli h word that do n't contain ith r mi ing charact r i 'floccinaucinihilipilification', which ironically r f r to om thing a 'without worth' – a p rf ct d cription of a laptop that' mi ing a coupl of k y .

kind r gard ,

Mik D an.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

How Mike posts is up to him, however as he is the only one who prefers posting in bold text, I can understand someone asking why. Which is what Mary has now done :D. The question may have been asked before, I can’t remember.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:25 am How Mike posts is up to him, however as he is the only one who prefers posting in bold text, I can understand someone asking why. Which is what Mary has now done :D. The question may have been asked before, I can’t remember.
I seem to recall that I asked Mike the question some years ago, either in a PM or openly, why he posted in Bold Italic, and he explained why. I can't remember what it was.
I found it a bit hard to read initially, but I guess I've got used to it just being him now. But I've also adjusted my screen size to get a balance between different size posts.

The bigger problem is when some newbie posts a huge block of text, 10, 20, 30 or more lines without breaks.
That's so hard to read I usually just ignore them.
They might as well have allowed their cat to sit on the keyboard :evil: :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The question may have been asked before, I can’t remember.
It has Les.
As you say, my choices are my right just as Mary's are hers, I would not ask her to justify them to me any more than I intend to justify my right in a free society to express myself, to her.
I will say that I think she is getting confused, as others have said, it is the use of capital letters which are interpreted as shouting and therefore possibly offensive.
Hopefully this is the end of the matter.
Best wishes,
Mike.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Now, about those GB plates...
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Admin wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 am You've reminded me of an exchange between myself and Comet in Lincoln from more than a decade ago:
https://dilbert.com/strip/1997-09-08
simmitc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm Now, about those GB plates...
We went on holiday many years ago, travelled on North Sea Ferries (an all you could eat buffet, and huge stacks of mini icecreams, I don't recall what I had for my main course :D). I guess I should say I was 10~ at the time but I'm pretty sure all these years later I'd have the same meal given the chance. 8)

Children got a free gift bag, and by bag I mean a proper zipped, small hold-all with pencil case containing a rubber and ruler in addition to a sliding puzzle, etc. etc.

Also included was a genuine North Sea Ferries GB sticker. I kept it safe for years (many, many years), figuring I'd use it on my own car one day (after all, it would be quite rare to see as they've been P&O for years now) only for it to go missing likely when we moved house.

And now it would be useless anyway ! :x