Sport Modified Class Q & A Section

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Sport Modified Class Q & A Section

Post by Kevin »

Sport Modified Class
This is for all you questions and answers about this class.

Lee Wells

Custom and Modified Registrar - Website - custommod.mmoc.org.uk - Under Construction

www.MorrisMinors.UK.com

As requested by Lee
Last edited by Kevin on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Thanks Kevin & Onne :D
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Is there any differentiation in this class between cars that use just BMC/BL/Rover parts and those that don't?

Just curious.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Yes Jim, if you use period parts from general BMC/BL/Rover production during the manufacture period 1948 to 1971 then it is Heritage Class. Use of a type 9 5 speed box will make it non period parts used hence this Class. I plan to do a crossflow/5 speed and ford discs so that would be in this class too. Hope this helps.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

What about Marina parts? The Marina and Minor overlapped by about 6 months...

I was planning to keep to BMC/BL/Rover from any/all periods but I haven't heard about a usable 5-speed gearbox from them, hence the Ford box.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I will double check on that one for you Jim, but there really isn't a suitable BMC/BL 5 speed sadly.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

I'm not particularly bothered, it's just interesting to know what class the Trav might end up in when I transfer the saloon's brakes over.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

What brakes are the saloon on that you will be transfering over?
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Right Jim, I've sat and read the rules for the 2 Modified classes and I think I've got it sussed! If you were using Marina drum brakes then it would be questionable! This is because although the Marina crossed over production dates of the Minor, disc brakes were not introduced until 1978 on the Marina so they would be classed as non-period and move your car into the Sport Modified Class.

I hope thats answered your question.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

disc brakes were not introduced until 1978 on the Marina so they would be classed as non-period and move your car into the Sport Modified Class.
Hi Lee I dont think that date is correct, I know the original 1.3 started on drums which didnt last for long but I though the 1.8 has discs from the outset.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Well spotted Kevin, in my defence it was late and I wasn't wearing my glasses. It should read 1971! The first disc brakes were fitted to the 1.3 models after 3 months from first production date in April 1971 at the same time as the 1.8 models were introduced.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

So do the marina disks and the 1.3 a+ block take mine in to this category?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Yes Matt on the A+ engine alone.
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Re: Sport Modified Class Q & A Section

Post by lowride stepside »

what about a pick up where the cab is now one piece wth a narrowed bed wheel arches and steps, 1275 A+engine ford disc convesion , servo,Lcb, musical horns, pedal box under the bonnet ,hydraulic clutch (marina) but the best bit spitfire gearbox with overdrive , next turbo or NOS decisions decisions
Last edited by lowride stepside on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speed not tweed
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i think with the body mods you are verging towards the customised as opposed to modified.

how are you doing the overdrive bit? I have a copy of an article i wrote on the modification for minor matters a few years back which I am more than happy to share with you..
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Post by lowride stepside »

Its done , bought a spit geabox thinking it would bolt straight on to my morris ital bellhouse ahh but no, the first rotation shaft was too short and so i thought i could just change that for the longer marina one but no, had to change first and reverse. Bolted the box and engine together and swung it in as one piece dropping it onto the engine mounts, jacked up the back only to find that it fouled the trans tunnel because of the cast ally box lid and inhibitor switch so out came the grinder cut a nice big square hole perfect ,forming an access panel to the box and switch , nice and handy .Using the spitfire gearbox mount and a length of rectangular box section fabricated a new cross member welding it to the chassis (gearbox is still removable) , sraightend the spitty gearstick and popped it in , prop went to dyno prop to be rebuilt and shortend.
Compared to my old shagged out box wich jumped out of reverse and ran out of steam at a little over 70 its lovely with OD in 3rd and 4th its like having a six speed
Cost £600 ish .Worth it ? well a type 9 conversion would of been something near that as a kit , and loads of people have got them , having longer legs at the flick of a switch , love it
speed not tweed