wiring a Fiat

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
callyspoy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

wiring a Fiat

Post by callyspoy »

hi folks, just wondering if anyone could help me, who has done the conversion. BMCecosse got the ball rolling, and much appreciated info, but i was wondering if anyone can help who has done the conversion, their experiences with it etc.
so it was the pull switch issue for the starter motor. solonoid attached to the motor, but how to wire it in?
alternator, anything special i need to know about this?
and the funny electrical sensor on the carb, what is that funny job?

all help appreciated, and any other info/tips greatly appreciated.
cheers
Callum
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Starter solenoid needs power (thick wire) from the pull switch and earth (thick wire again) to the chassis or body. Alternator is nothing special. Just follow the alternator wiring conversion sticky in "Electrical" The connection on casb will be for auto choke and just needs 12v or convert to manual choke.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Auto choke (if fitted) should be connected to the water system, the 'electrical sensor' is an anti run on valve which should be connected to the ignition. When you turn it off, it allows air into the carb to stop the engine running on (sometimes called an anti dieseling valve). I had major fun with this on my son's Minor on the way up from Bournemouth when I picked it up. The previous owner had connected it along with the electric fan and when I turned it off, I wondered why the car died on tickover, then came to life when I turned fan back on.

Hope this helps.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Julesgti
Minor Friendly

Post by Julesgti »

HI Callum,
In addition to what has been said previously. The way to do the solenoid part of the starter motor is to run a normal wire from the main (thick +ve) wire to the "male" spade connector (solenoid).
Usually this is supplied by the ignition switch, but for a moggi this is supplied by the pull switch.

So when you pull the stater knob is supplies voltage to both the solenoid and the motor section of the starter.

Hope that makes sence.

Jules 8) :D
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

Pete...is it okay to just attach the now vacant fuel electric fuel pump wire? it's obviously connected to the ignition so should be fine yes?
Jules...i will have a little look at the engine and try to get my feeble mind around the bits and pieces!
oh...incidently...have you managed to sort anything with Jonathon yet about using your downpipe as a template?
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Yes, that should be fine. You'll hear the solenoid clicking when you turn the power off and on. I presume the car is now negative earth?
Make sure you have an earth lead to the engine.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

If you go into the members section I am sure there is Fiat into Minor technical article which has a step by step wiring diagram.

I put together a really simple guide and am sure its there.

We used to remove the fuel cut off solenoid from thr carb and fit a blanking plug. Alternatively just wire up an ignition controlled live.

Starter is easy. Big live to the motor and actuator to the solenoid.

Ignition is harder and depends on what you have. 3 differnet systems fitted to the Fiat, points, Magnetti marelli and Bosch. I am sure all the diagtams are in the tech article.

Alternator is easy. It has 2 wires. A big one that goes to the battery and a small one that goes to the ign warning light. Removing the Minor voltage regulator is a bit more invloved again step by step guide in in the tech article.
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

okay, Innovator, i've had a look on the page a million times(has been very useful in fact! thanks!) but i have not seen anything on it regarding wiring up.
right, what i am having trouble getting my mind round is this...the pull start on the Minor attaches itself to the solenoid. which in turn runs wire to the starter(on a standard minor.) correct?
so...when you pull the knob does it pull something In the solenoid to make the connection, or is it something in the switch/knob that causes the the connection? i am finding it hard to see how you isolate the original solenoid you see...but if the electric connections are made in the switch then it makes way more sense...
to be honest, it would make more sense to get it out and have a look, i would make it easier for myself that way, but i am busy at work until thursday!
but...there is a cable behind the starter pull switch, which would mean it must pull something on the solenoid, which means i am confused again as to how you isolate it. god, this is why i am a functions manager not a bloody mechanic!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

The pull start cars don't have a solenoid, it's just a very big momentary pull-switch. Why would you need to isolate it? The arrangement that Jules described should work fine.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

okay, that explains it fine then, no need to isolate it as its not a solenoid. why is it called a solenoid on ESM? how odd. what Jules said made sense, but as i thought that the solenoid like thing was a solenoid, it would not make sense to wire up both solenoids. thanks for your comment though Mr Holden.
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

pssst...as i have 3 wires for my alternator at the moment, do i just disconnect the third one?
Julesgti
Minor Friendly

Post by Julesgti »

HI Callum,
I only have / use two wire for my Fiat alternator. Brown Yellow and Brown Green. going to B+ and D+ on the alternator. I believe (I will confirm) that the Brown yellow (big male connector) goes to the B+ and the Brown Green goes (small connector goes to the D+ terminal. I presume the car is -ve earth?
Also on another point. I have removed my exhaust from my car ( No driving for a while!!) and will be giving it to JHL tomorrow.
Regards,
Jules
Julesgti
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Or even JLH :roll: :lol:

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »