'Q' reg, no free tax, and £450 for an MOT!

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jonathon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 'Q' reg, no free tax, and £450 for an MOT!

Post by jonathon »

This seems to be a reissue of the existing rules to MOT stations. The issue of post production convertibles was resolved years ago as the Minor is not a true monocoque.

This statement was made by Jon on the other thread re MOT tax etc

theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

leyther8008 wrote:I can't see anybody claiming it not to be a monocoque anywhere except my minor van reference which of course has a seperate chassis as you know.
Yes, there's some confusion over threads - the question Jonathon raised was posted in the 'other' thread on this in the General Discussion forum. I wonder if a Moderator could help a little here and transfer the posts from this thread to the 'main' forum one, since after posting here I realised it might well be of interest to the wider fraternity of Minor owners rather than us petrolhead modifiers :)
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
wclayton

Post by wclayton »

quick question, would a traveller be classed as monocoque
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

:D dunno, we seem to have issues in getting a monocoque being accepted as being so. :D

theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

wclayton wrote:quick question, would a traveller be classed as monocoque
Have to say I don't know, until I'm informed different I'm going with the view that Morris Minor = monocoque, full stop. Just out of interest, why do you think it might not be (as opposed to a saloon, I mean)?
Mike
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Where does my Traveller fit in to this, do you rekon, Jono ?? :roll:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

No idea mate :( , it does have a chassis, and may well have been a factory modification ? Even so you have yet to fit that Zetec so don't worry. :D

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Sounds good to me :lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - we are not allowed to change our own engines any more ? Where on earth is that legislation layed down ??

And - where exactly will these modifications be picked up, assuming a car that has been running happily, and is simply presented for it's repeat annual MOT ? Is the MOT place to refuse to test the car - and refer it to DVLA ?
ImageImage
romfordian
Minor Friendly

Post by romfordian »

bmcecosse wrote:So - we are not allowed to change our own engines any more ? Where on earth is that legislation layed down ??
No you're still allowed to do what you want - just that you don't necessarily get the right to use it on a public road.
bmcecosse wrote:And - where exactly will these modifications be picked up, assuming a car that has been running happily, and is simply presented for it's repeat annual MOT ? Is the MOT place to refuse to test the car - and refer it to DVLA ?
That's ONE way, yes. But see all those VOSA guys running round the motorway in yellow jackets playing cop? They can refer you too. The police and VOSA corralled a bunch of Land Rovers on the way out of a show and referred nearly the lot.
Wal
Minor Fan

Post by Wal »

Dear all,
been reading this thread with some interest as I have a modified Minor.

When I first made the changes to my Minor my insurance company insisted that I provide a certificate from an independent engineer certify that the car was "safe". Having moved on to other insurance companies they have never requested such a certificate and perhaps they should.

I also submitted my car for an MOT last week and it passed, no comments, no issues. Well apart from an advisory on some wiring which will be sorted. Maybe I was lucky.

Regards,
Wal
richy246
Minor Friendly

Post by richy246 »

As I see it there seems to be "some confusion" on this subject as there has been a glut of postings on most car forums on it.The rules have been in force for I believe 27? years,but have only recently reared their ugly head again.As regards to a car passing the MOT this does not mean it meets the construction and use regulations,it only means that at the time it was presented for test it reached the standard set by VOSA whether it is modified or not. The tester is not interested in the fact that your car isnt standard (at the moment )but it doesn,t take a genius to work out that with the new computerised forms they only have to add another box that says " is this vehicle modified from standard" and a tick in the yes box will result in a visit and inspection from VOSA and possible removal of the registration if all is not well. Go to the ACE website and all will be revealed!!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

richy246 wrote: Go to the ACE website and all will be revealed!!
Any chance of the link as I sure wnat my search gave was not what you were reffering to
The Advisory Centre for Education (ACE)
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

It was given earlier on by twincamman

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/
I'll see you on the otherside'!
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

I would advise anyone worried about this to contact the Association of Car Enthusiasts (www.the-ace.org.uk) to get the full facts on this.
There seems to be two schools of thought that are distorting things:-
1. PANIC!!!!! 'They' won't let us change anything on our cars, and we'll all be forced into euroblobs.
2. Bury your head in the sand, hoping the regs will go away.
Yes, OK the regs do make things more complicated, but as long as you keep within the 8 points needed to keep the vehicle's original identity, then they don't apply.
ACE have now managed to get some clarification as to what constitutes a 'modified' monocoque, and the upshot is that if it's a bolt on panel it doesn't count as the monocoque.
As for LCVs, they do have a separate chassis, but the front suspension is mounted to both the body and chassis. This is an identical situation to the McPherson strut equipped VW Beetle (1302,1302S,1303,1303S), so there is an example to compare them to.
However, I do recommend a bit of common sense & discretion. If you're modifying a car which you intend to claim 5 points for an unmodified shell, then don't put up pics all over the internet showing you cutting a big chunk out of the bulkhead, and don't mention it in any build threads. If you reshell a car using a secondhand shell, then bear in mind that in the eyes of the law this amounts to 'ringing'. You never know who's reading these forums. How do you think that VOSA got wind of all these Landrovers fraudulently claiming historic vehicle tax status.
Landrovers are a particular target for VOSA, because as we all know 4x4s kill kittens, unless you're driving something that looks radically modified (i.e. as long as your Minor resembles a Minor), then VOSA are unlikely to pull you over. They're more interested in vehicles that bear no resemblance to what they're registered as, and weeding out cut'n'shuts (so that 'E'-type combine harvester that you've got in your garage might be at risk!)
As I said, talk to the ACE, the main man (Kev Rooney) is a really top bloke, and they're all on our side.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I had an MOT station refuse to MOT my Minor 30 years ago as he said it was modified. I just went elsewhere and no problem.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I really don't like this legislation at all... as it causes nothing but grief for honest law-abiding motor enthusiasts and for no benefit whatsoever to anyone. (apart from more money from test fees and taxed vehicles that used to be historic to the government to waste on employing yet more beaurocrats to make more obstructive rules no-one needs or wants). I blame this not on DVLA who are only the messenger, but on our weak feeble government being yes-men to yet more fun spoiling and oppressive pointless EU rules regs. Rules for rules sakes to keep yet more paper pushers in offices helping no-one, paid through our taxes.

Best thing to do as Plastic Orange says is to not tell DVLA anything if you mod your car, just go to an MOT station as normal and get an MOT. Find ways round the regs. Then write to your MP and complain! maybe it is time for modified car owners to drive into London and protest?? :evil: :oops:
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

chickenjohn wrote:Best thing to do as Plastic Orange says is to not tell DVLA anything if you mod your car, just go to an MOT station as normal and get an MOT. Find ways round the regs. Then write to your MP and complain! maybe it is time for modified car owners to drive into London and protest?? :evil: :oops:
Thing is, the MOT man will now have to tick a box saying 'modified' or 'not modified' or he can't give you an MOT. He can't avoid answering it, I mean. And when he ticks Yes, you're in line for a letter from VOSA 'inviting' you in to have a chat...
As to the protest drive, won't we be somewhat lost in the long queue behind; nurses, farmers, teachers, pro-hunting, carers......

P.S. How did twincamman know about my E-type combine?
Mike
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Well that is why I said make any mods discrete. What the MOT man doesn't know doesn't hurt him (or anyone else). So don't tell him.

Apologies for my rant , but it is time we stood up to these people.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

chickenjohn wrote:I really don't like this legislation at all... as it causes nothing but grief for honest law-abiding motor enthusiasts and for no benefit whatsoever to anyone. (apart from more money from test fees and taxed vehicles that used to be historic to the government to waste on employing yet more beaurocrats to make more obstructive rules no-one needs or wants). I blame this not on DVLA who are only the messenger, but on our weak feeble government being yes-men to yet more fun spoiling and oppressive pointless EU rules regs. Rules for rules sakes to keep yet more paper pushers in offices helping no-one, paid through our taxes.

Best thing to do as Plastic Orange says is to not tell DVLA anything if you mod your car, just go to an MOT station as normal and get an MOT. Find ways round the regs. Then write to your MP and complain! maybe it is time for modified car owners to drive into London and protest?? :evil: :oops:

Sorry John but I couldn'r disagree more. This proposed legislation is simply an attempt to make sure that modified cars are safe for the road, its not a political exercise or an slight on this government. Its a simple test that what you say has been done is of a safe and appropriate standard. I welcome this.
The only aspect I fine odd is that you can loose the original plate, I see no reason for this at all as the tax disc and MOT docs will have your car down as modified or standard.
I think that any deception from owners of modded cars will simply antagonise the power that be and may end up having far worse consequences, such as having to obtain permission to drive your classic ,modded or not and for only a limited milage a year.
Deception will also land you in trouble with the law and possible loss of your vehicle or insurance companies refusing to honour a claim as their info on the car was fraudulent.
Take the politics away from the issue as it serves no useful function, and see the legislation for what it is, whether one agrees with it or not.