'Q' reg, no free tax, and £450 for an MOT!

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
aceadvice
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 'Q' reg, no free tax, and £450 for an MOT!

Post by aceadvice »

Wal wrote:Hi,
Yes, thanks for the information and work that ACE are doing it’s very useful to have a summary of the background and clarifications.

Although these rules have existed for 27 years there is some suspicion over “clarification” and “application” after 27 years! Why? If it’s fit for purpose use it if it’s wrong replace it. Could it be a drive to reduce classic cars on the road or so the DVLA can make some bucks claiming back old registration plates and resell them?

I also feel that there is some double standard as I can buy a new car (OK actually I can’t afford it), but if I could (a nice 1.1) stick a big turbo on it and a nice new engine management chip and push out oodles of power without upgrading anything else and no MOT test for 3 years – yippee crash city. Or alternatively buy a Toyota and mash that throttle arrgghh it’s stuck!!!!!!

Reading the Chassis and Monocoque Modification section it would be useful to know more about the status of removable panels e.g. the clarification from DVLA mentions transmission tunnels in relation to a monocoque structure but on the Morris the gearbox cover is removable and therefore not structural so presumably not included.

Yup, removeable trans tunnel is not an issue as non structural.

Regards,
Wal
The changes have come about due to discrepancies showing on the computerised MOT and also though people hanging themselves on public forums. DVLA /VOSA / DfT make no secret of the fact they visit sites such as this . Theer is no doubt that many have unwittingly broken the laws as they have not been made widely enough known , and point we have raised in 'our' defence'

We ( ACE ) have asked for the clarification, as more are falling foul of regs of which they have no knowledge it is difficult to fight on their behalf when only one side has the rule book. That is simply not fair, if there are rules we need to know what they are as well !!

No double standards , ...a new car is a new car ...an old car is an old car until you modify your old car too much and it becomes a 'new car' re identity and safety issues.
Last edited by aceadvice on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wal
Minor Fan

Post by Wal »

Hi,
many thanks for your prompt responses and I appreciate that this is a difficullt and emotive subject.

Now I'd better take my son to football training.

Regards,
Wal
aceadvice
Minor Friendly

Post by aceadvice »

Wal wrote:Hi,
what about cars like the Triumph Spitfire. It has a separate chassis but the sills of the body are structural?

Regards,
Wal
The sills are structural to the body but you can remove that body and put a 'kit' on with no testing as for the purposes of DVLA the identity lies in the chassis not the body.

Re your other post , you are correct it is an emotive subject. Most is caused by the sudden realisation that we cannot, as many have thought due to lack of notification of the rules by DVLA , simply do as we wish with our vehicles. That very fact is receiving further investigation. However it won't change what we currently have but may give a degree of protection to those who have unkowingly broken the rules.

There is already a degree of protection for cars built pre '98 ( the introduction date of SVA ) that may not have followed the 'strict' rules but can be proven to have been built that early.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I asked my MOT tester mate (getting wife's car mot'd) about reporting if something is modified. He said there is no tick box as far as he is aware - never heard of it.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Had one of our K series full house travellers MOT'd last week, no questions asked, or comments re legislation etc :D

MartinB
Minor Fan

Post by MartinB »

aceadvice wrote: There is already a degree of protection for cars built pre '98 ( the introduction date of SVA ) that may not have followed the 'strict' rules but can be proven to have been built that early.
That's a relief, I though I was going to have to put mine back to standard :o

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Just put a Morris or Austin sticker on the cam cover, it'll be okay then :D

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

jonathon wrote:Just put a Morris or Austin sticker on the cam cover, it'll be okay then :D
I was going to paint my Lancia engine green and make it look a bit as if it might have been original fitment just for fun but I might go that step further now. Just got to crank up the DTP & photoshop and fake up some old road tests of the 2 litre Minors now :)

"BMC Competitions Department got some Italian engines as part of the Innocenti Mini licencing deal, look I've got a copy of the original road test, there's my car next to the gas turbine Rover and the A40 roadster - they made three of them, one for Leonard Lord, one for Jack Daniels that's still running over in Tenessee and one for Queen Victoria - doh! "

As for explaining the blue oval Jonathon, you're on your own :)
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

fitted by a qualified vehicle engineer
I've yet to see any engine fitted by a qualified "vehicle engineer". Lots are fitted by qualified technicians, (and lots fitted by unqualified people who work in garages). If a mechanic is an engineer, then a shop till girl is a chartered accountant IMHO. but hey - that's a different arguement.

As for my cars - I'm sure they were like that pre SVA!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
daveallgood
Minor Friendly

Post by daveallgood »

Is anyone aware of a date when these new rules will apply?
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

april 1st
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

The rules have been in force for 27 years. An article in CCW suggested that they may now be enforced more stringently than before (not sure what this is based on) but they haven't changed - they are not 'new'.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

So when do you have to apply for an SVA. If I put a 5 speed box and disc brakes on my car for example leaving everything else original I would rack up 11 points on the system putting me well above the 8 points, do I need an SVA at that point (even putting in a bigger engine gives me 10 points although I'd have to inform the DVLA about the engine as far as I understand)

Thanks,
Philip

(vaguely considering a diesel van project and realising that I really need to know how the rules work)
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

You'll be fine with what you are suggesting - just MOT as normal.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Certainly no need to tell anyone about disc brakes and 5 speed box - except your Insurance Co when you ask for a discount.
ImageImage
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

My Morris just passed an MOT and I have fitted a 1275 Marina engine, Ford 5 speed and disk brakes and the MOT tester wasn't that interested in the conversion parts, he just did the MOT test.
aceadvice
Minor Friendly

Post by aceadvice »

The MOT tester isn't ( currently) interested in your , or anyone elses mods, he is there to check safety compliance. It's DVLA who are interested in vehicles identity and are backed up by VOSA tech as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

However, we ( http://www.the-ace.org.uk) are aware that changes are being made to the MOT test to check that vehicles identities match their V5C details as there are cars out there that blatanltly are not what their V5cs state.

There is some protection for older pre 98 builds ie prior to introduction of SVA but any new builds should ( by law) either meet the 8 points system or be sent for BIVA . It's in everyones own best interests to be aware of the rules ,whether you chose to ignore them ( and suffer any consequences ) is 'your' personal chioce, just do it from an informed point of view not based on " my mate down the pub says.... " :)