Engine weights

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pskipper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine weights

Post by pskipper »

Ethical decisions do play a part but the price is important too :D

There's a place in Wales that will deliver for 77p/litre (providing you buy 1000 litres). Other than that we've been buying from Tesco (currently 80p/l) and Asda (83p/l) for our old Merc, but she only does 35mpg so having a diesel minor doing about twice that would be great :D

If one of the smaller french diesel engines will fit they do pretty well for efficiency, the 1.4 holds the world record doing 103mpg although I imagine I wouldn't have the patience to drive that efficiently :lol:
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Blimey, what old Merc? a bullet proof S class, that was built for some dictator?
My 95 C class 220 gets 45 mph every day of the week, and will consume at least a proportion of veg oil, I've never tried it on pure.
AND it is leaking diesel from the pump!

As to the question of engine weight, I knew someone who put a Ford V6 in a Traveller, when I said that's a heavy lump to put in there, he said I just wound up the torsion bars some more, wasn't a problem!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Its an old 300TD estate, the ones which became the E class. Being a 3 litre she's a little thirsty but will run off pure veg oil with no conversion, although we tend to cut it with just a little diesel to protect against cold nights!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Cheapest I've seen veg oil recently is 98 p/litre - in Aldi. You sure about these 80/83 p prices ??
ImageImage
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Yikes Aldi's expensive!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well indeed - if your prices are right. To stretch the thread out slightly further....... has anyone tried adding veg oil to a petrol car - to eek out the v expensive petrol ? Wondering what % could be used before smoke became too 'intrusive' ??
ImageImage
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

It would just gum up a petrol engine, I did a bit of research a few years ago, you really need ethanol or butanol for petrol cars (not sure you could get it cheaper) at 80% purity or higher. With an SU carb it would just be a case of adjusting the mixture, webber carbs need replacement parts.

AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

1.5d engine from a saxo (late model) is indirect and has a bosch pump so is ok for veg. earlier ones without an immobiliser had a lucas pump and are no good.

if you can find a gearbox to mate it to i'd also suggest a 1.5td isuzu lump from a corsa b.

/veg oil geek (my other hobby ;) )
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

PSL184 wrote:Perkins or Prima?
Probably Prima from a Montego or Maestro....
The Prima is made by Perkins :D And yes a motego, very good :wink: Montegos had the turbo :wink: the best bit!
I've seen a corsa diesel engine in a morris, they used a opel manta gearbox, not an easy one to find now! Maybe an Carlton box would fit?
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Robins wrote:
The Prima is made by Perkins :D And yes a motego, very good :wink: Montegos had the turbo :wink: the best bit!
I've seen a corsa diesel engine in a morris, they used a opel manta gearbox, not an easy one to find now! Maybe an Carlton box would fit?
An Omega box would do the job (though not the diesel one ironically). Alternatively, as the Isuzu motor has the same bolt pattern as the Vauxhall/Opel XE motor ("Red Top"), you can use a Type 9 Box with an approriate aftermarket bellhousing.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Robins wrote:
The Prima is made by Perkins
Yes I thought so but wasn't 100% certain. I fitted a Montego lump to my Landrover a few years ago. The conversion kit only cost about £300 and I got the whole Montego estate for £50. The Landrover returned 40mpg and by the time I had sold the rest of the Montego on ebay I was about £200 in profit :lol:
That would actually be a great conversion on a Minor (as I'm sure you know) :wink:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

A 1.4 Kseries returns over 50mpg in a Minor and the 2.0L Zetec upto 48mpg. :D

pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

twincamman wrote:An Omega box would do the job (though not the diesel one ironically). Alternatively, as the Isuzu motor has the same bolt pattern as the Vauxhall/Opel XE motor ("Red Top"), you can use a Type 9 Box with an approriate aftermarket bellhousing.
Would that be this one....

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousin ... od_10.html

Hmm, just need the measurements of the engine then :D

mogmad57
Minor Friendly

Post by mogmad57 »

Here's a pic of an Isuzu engine fitted, does anyone have any info on this car? great engine, easily tuned :)
Andy[frame]Image[/frame]
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Been researching into the Isuzu diesels as they look like the best choice, we'll probably go for the 1.5 turbo as it gives a good balance between power and fuel efficiency. The length and backplate are identical for the 1.5 and 1.7 so we can use one of the bell housings mentioned above :)

Just need to finish the current project so we can get started on this one :oops: