Has the Custom Register Died????

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ratrodmog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Has the Custom Register Died????

Post by ratrodmog »

I agree that maybe the local branch meetings are not that interested in modded cars but i'm sure that some are. Also I think that if you feel this way then why not start up your own meet? Maybe a group of you could all drive to a good pub somewhere for food etc and then you can talk about what ever you want.
pml1979 wrote:Besides im not really that bothered now like ive said ive gone elsewere and they were really excited with some of my ideas and have incorporated them into next years rally.!!!!
With the risk of being shot (just my oppinion after all) I think that you do care otherwise wouldn't have posted this up here and maybe if you had taken the time to attend a few more meetings before bombarding them with your ideas then they possibly would have been more interested.

With regards to the National Rally, I personally don't like bird shows etc but am activly trying to encorporate things that all Morris owners will like (how to tune your engine tent, track action, more tuning companies in trade area etc etc) , only took a few emails and phone calls.

I definately think that if you know other peolpe in your area with modded cars (or people with standard mogs that don't like the local meets) then just post up a time and date on here and see who turns up for a drink or what ever. As the saying goes, if you want something done etc etc.
Bash's Speed Shop
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

pml1979 wrote: i was thinking it could all be tied together with a circus theme and i actually had a mobile circus troup who were willing to come and put on a display as well as teach children some of the skills.
Well that might have been the problem. The Club has moved away from clown based entertainment at rallies.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

Post by A-Series Spares »

I personally think that the rallies should probably alternate the type of venue it is to be held at. There are 1000's of members and that means 1000's of things that people are interested in.

I have been to the last 4 and i personally found the last one to be the worst for things to do... now i still enjoyed myself and so did my staff as we met hundreds of great people through our store there, A-Series Spares.

I do think that if this years was the only one i had gone to that i probably would miss next years, but having been to previous shows i know they can be better.

Maybe to represent the different views of all the members we should try to encourage new volunteers each year to do the leg work? get entertainment in etc

A-Series Spares have been around lots of shows this year, Mg shows, Mini shows, Morris shows and Classic sports car shows, some of these followed the same template as the Morris Minor shows, the ones i will remember however were the ones that were placed at a more exciting location.

MG show..... Silverstone!!!
Mini Show..... Santa Pod Race way

Now these shows were the best because straight away you are catering for twice the audience.... both of these locations offer nice surroundings for people to pitch up and have a nice BBQ with their family, watch the scenery and relax.. They also offer people with Modified cars the chance to get on the track and put their car through the paces. You can also hire Bird charities and clowns and face painters etc etc etc...

I for one love Classic car annual shows, but i do sometimes feel that the club is a little bit backwards... for these cars to survive past the current owners younger crowds need to feel at one. Dont take that the wrong way, many of the older generations i feel would enjoy different surroundings.

Also the way the club can't be seen to like certain things, at the end of the day, its a car club, if there is a good product or good service out there maybe the car club members should be let in on it?

It seems mental to me that my business can offer discount to the Australian MMOC and that we are sponsoring their national rally but yet when we approached the British Club we were shot down.

Kind Regards

The A-Series Team
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

A-Series Spares wrote:I personally think that the rallies should probably alternate the type of venue it is to be held at.
The problem is that there are limited venues which are large enough to host the rally and also the location needs to be varied each year rather than just remain in the same region. Track events have been hosted at Donington and Haynes but it isn't possible to have track facilities every year.
There are 1000's of members and 1000's of thing sthat people are interested in

Well therein lies the problem! How do you stage an event that everyone will enjoy? For those that enjoy track events there are probably just as many that don't.
Maybe to represent the different views of all the members we should try to encourage new volunteers each year to do the leg work? get entertainment in etc
Better to ask the members for their views I think, if you want to represent their views, and this has been done recently with the Club review, which had a specific section relating to the National Rally, and also a questionnaire was issued to all attendees at this year's rally to ask for their feedback and suggestions for future events. Unfortunately only 67 were returned, out of 500 issued, but the comments have been taken on board and suggestions considered for this year's rally.

As ratrodmog has already said in this thread, he is in discussions with the organising team with regards to a custom / modified display, and suggestions with regards to entertainment, including live bands, have been put forward by others on here so ideas are being taken on board and looked at.

The problem is that the Club has a very diverse membership of all ages and finding something to suit everyone is never going to be easy. People are often quick to complain because their ideas aren't taken up, or the entertainment offered isn't to their taste, but there will always be plenty of people who do enjoy what's put on. Personally I don't enjoy basket weaving, flower displays, dancing dogs etc but each to their own and I appreciate that not everyone will want the same as I do from the National. But then I don't go to the National solely for the entertainment - I go to meet up with people I don't see all year and to rummage the autojumble. I've put forward some suggestions for the National but I won't take it as a personal affront if they're not taken up or the entertainment isn't to my liking next year. There are more important things in life to worry about!

Eric - 1971 Traveller
pml1979
Minor Friendly

Post by pml1979 »

The point i was making was that non of my ideas were even listened to or taken under advisement! thay just did not want to know FULL STOP.!

and thats were the problem lies, i agree that you wont please everyone but whats the harm in trying, there is absolutly no reason why there cant be something for everyone at any event. plus there are plenty of venues out there that would kill to host this kind of event as i already found out by contacting a few well know attractions. Unfortunatly i did not get the chance to mention this at my last meeting as i did not see any point when everything i had already suggested had been poo pood.!

Unfortunatly as far as i am concerned the damage has already been done in my eyes and i wont be attending any more MMOC events/meetings ill just go to other events as an individual entrant or with the other club i joined.!

:(
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

pml1979 wrote:Unfortunatly as far as i am concerned the damage has already been done in my eyes and i wont be attending any more MMOC events/meetings ill just go to other events as an individual entrant or with the other club i joined.!
Like I said, maybe you should start your own event/ meeting/ thing. Just start by getting you and yuor mate involved then see who else wants to come along and soon enough you could have a full scale show to organise :D Also your views are based on an experience at your own local branch but what about all the other branches and 1000's of people in the MMOC. Have you met then all?
Bash's Speed Shop
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

hey PML - move to Warwickshire and come to our branch... We'd not let you leave!!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
dantournay
Minor Friendly

Post by dantournay »

May I make a suggestion.

Rather than messing about with the National rally why not arrange an informal meet at a small circuit with good viewing for a Classic Saloon or Historic racing event and see who turns up. Seems obvious to me and it doesn't have to be circuit racing. There are plenty of events at Santa Pod and Shakey you could piggy back it onto like the Retro Show or Hot Rod Drags or hill climbing at Prescott, Harewood, Shelsley Walsh, etc. I guarantee it will be a success and I'd arrange it myself if my car was finished.

It would also be easy to have Northern, Midland and Southern events.

millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

dantourney, a very good idea but don't forget Llanddow Circuit in S Wales
dantournay
Minor Friendly

Post by dantournay »

millerman wrote:dantourney, a very good idea but don't forget Llanddow Circuit in S Wales
I think Pembrey holds a historic event too

twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

dantournay wrote:
millerman wrote:dantourney, a very good idea but don't forget Llanddow Circuit in S Wales
I think Pembrey holds a historic event too
They had a HSCC event down there two years ago. It's worth checking out the website to see what's on. I'm only 5 miles from Pembrey, so if anyone's going to any event there, give me a shout and we can meet up.
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

Has the custom register died? :evil: Its a very good question and I totally agree! After I re-joined the MMOC I sent a postal letter and an e-mail to the address for the modified register mentioned in Minor Matters. I received no reply. I then checked with the Minor Matters editorial team to see if the details had changed. I was informed that the details were correct. Later (3-6 months) I discovered the interweb (I'm a bit of a dinosaur). I then attempted with all my computer skill to register with the Custom / Modified register. No Joy, in fact the website link goes to a site that hasn't been updated for a couple of years. All this gives a bad vibe about the MMOC with respect to customising - one that they have managed to maintain since the very first AGM the MMOC had!
Surely the club would be better holding its hands up and saying that it doesn't exist instead of making out that they cater for Customise-rs. I sometimes wonder if they are trying to convince themselves.
As for the point that members are going away from modifying / customising that is rubbish. They just don't see that disk brakes, fitted stereos, comfy seats, seat belts and unleaded cylinder heads are modifications. Without the Customise-rs and Modifiers these items would not have been developed. I wonder how many people are driving cars with tow bars on that haven't informed their insurance company that their car has been modified?
Anyway I'm drifting off the point - which is in my experience the MMOC doesn't have a Custom / Modified register.
Could someone please prove me wrong. :-?
Until then my recommendation is join (for free) www.MorrisMinorOwners.co.uk which has an excellent forum catering for modified and customised moggies.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

cmea wrote:Surely the club would be better holding its hands up and saying that it doesn't exist instead of making out that they cater for Customise-rs. I sometimes wonder if they are trying to convince themselves.
Each register is run by volunteers with the required enthusiasm and knowledge in the case of the register website, if as has happened to this register the person responsible for the website due to other commitments is unable to maintain it that is where problems can start.
Knowing Jules who looks after the paperwork side so to speak, he would really grateful if there were some volunteers to do this and as far as I am aware none have been forthcoming (there was someone sometime ago but I dont know what happened as nothing has seemed to have progressed) Unfortunately there does not seem to be anyone volunteering to take on the task within this posting.
As for the point that members are going away from modifying / customising that is rubbish. They just don't see that disk brakes, fitted stereos, comfy seats, seat belts and unleaded cylinder heads are modifications.
Well that's a fair point, but that is why there are three sections within the register and probably the largest being the Heritage section.
I also agree with chickenjon points of view as locally to me a similar situation seems to have occurred as I can't remember the last time someone with a custom or heavily modified car came to a branch meeting.
Without the Customise-rs and Modifiers these items would not have been developed
I dont think anyone will disagee with you on that point especially as this is how most tuning companies started.
Anyway I'm drifting off the point - which is in my experience the MMOC doesn't have a Custom / Modified register.
Could someone please prove me wrong. :-?
So from your point of view you are blaming the MMOC for the lack of volunteers !!!

Ok lets try and get the ball rolling as it takes time for changes to take place can any volunteers to run the register website contact Jules or me (am I going to regret this) and we will try to push things forward to the committee as believe it or not they don't like have a section that doesn't function fully either.
Now I am going to upset a few here but the volunteer will need to know what they are doing website wise and at least a serious interest in the register if not owning a suitable car themselves.
Also its no good volunteering if you think its a great idea this week and then change your mind next week, I know this seems harsh but this sort of thing does require commitment and not someone who comes in with all guns blazing and then dissapears when they realise that it not just ideas that are needed but time and effort.
Like many I don't have enough time to do all I would like but I don't blame others for their lack of enthusiasm if I am not prepared to give time and effort myself as its too easy to complain on a message board and complain about a club run by volunteers when you are not prepared to commit yourself.
(Sorry if it sounds like I have gone off on one, that's not my intention)
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

i am 54 and find everyone interesting who owns a minor :) especialy the customised ones .I appreciate the engineering ,dedication ,and enthusiasm that has gone into the cars keeping the spirit of the minor going forward :D .when a car is customised etc it leaves a vast amount of standard spares without scrapping a minor to get them and evolves into somebody else finishing a standard project off and also a modern minor
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

:P just spent the last hour reading the posts on the link you posted up re custom register some very good point from both sides of the fence ,,,.
i have been customising morris minors for over 30 years and have been attending club events up and down the country just as long
done the last 3 national rally s travelling over 2000 miles .....
i have met a lot of very interesting people , some right A,holes , and some very clever guys.
not all like customs and but some want there cars to have better engines seats etc but do not want to be called customs so call them selfs modified ....i respect what the concourse guys do but just do not get it ...but some go out their way to be dam rude when it comes to customs.
if 30 years ago i took a-fence at the comments received regarding my first minor van i would not be still involved with the MMOC let alone on the committee of our branch .
just get on and do it...... do not be put off by the few .......
turn up get involved ...
mark..
Last edited by badobsession on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SCOTTISH BRANCH CHAIRMAN .
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

I couldnt agree more Mark. I've been in the modified moinor scene for about 11 years, all thanks to the Beardmore Bros! :D they were my inspiration, its a shame they arent building anything at the moment, what did happen to the MX5 based minor build that was started??
You are correct in the types of people out there, very clever and interesting, yet some complete A,holes. The concourse guys do what they do and fair play to them! but custom guys dont slag them off quite like they do us. Ive had so many really rude comments about my van over the years before the heavier mods where even done. A couple years ago I chose the route of seperating myself from the club as a member, and just do my own thing, as im sure a lot of others have. The atmosphear at a custom car or mixed classic car show is much nicer than a minor only show, hence why ive never been to a national rally.
If you plan to change the custom scene in the club then good luck to you :wink:

cheers, Daniel
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

Robins wrote: what did happen to the MX5 based minor build that was started?
cheers, Daniel
hi Daniel seen robin at the national rally this year and the MX5 minor is still alive and well just getting the gaps done :wink:
so when we eventually get to see the car it looks amazing as all their cars do 8) .
robin never said when it will be ready ..but looking forward to seeing it .

i think the custom owners will need to get together and do their own thing but try and do it within the club .
sort of a club within a club .
bit of a shame you do not do the national thing ...if you did i am sure you will find like minded guys
so many get the cold shoulder at club meetings and never go back , but when you get 3 or more customs at the same event ..... :wink: :wink: :wink:
have a look at this line up we got last weekend .
4. twin cams , 1. v8 , 1. supercharged , 1. turbo diesel and a 1275cc

Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Yes I saw that show report Mark and have put it in the calendar for next year :D that looks to be a show worth the trip! then we can have 2 turbo diesels in the line up :D
Robin's MX5 build was on the beardmore bros website and i followed with great interest! but then it disapeared and i assumed it got shelved, so GREAT news its still going ahead!! I await the finished car with excitement :D
Dont suppose you know where abouts the roadster pickup now lives do you, i look forward to seeing that up close aswell!

cheers, Daniel
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

irmscher wrote:i am 54 and find everyone interesting who owns a minor :) especialy the customised ones .I appreciate the engineering ,dedication ,and enthusiasm that has gone into the cars keeping the spirit of the minor going forward :D .when a car is customised etc it leaves a vast amount of standard spares without scrapping a minor to get them and evolves into somebody else finishing a standard project off

8) 8) 8) 8) well said that man 8) 8)

badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

Robins wrote: Don't suppose you know where abouts the roadster pickup now lives do you, i look forward to seeing that up close aswell!
cheers, Daniel
He lives just 20 miles from me just outside glasgow think we will see it around the scottish car shows, maybe next year ..
i will have pics of it if i see it out and about fear-not.

as posted it is looking extremely well for it age :P