banded wheels

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rossrox
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

banded wheels

Post by rossrox »

has anyone got some wide banded wheels or weller wheels on there minor??? i wouldnt mind seeing what it would look like on a minor :lol:
...............................................ЯR................................................

Robins
Minor Fan

Re: banded wheels

Post by Robins »

I have wellers on my van, here:
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 0&start=15

7th post down

Theres also wellers on the traveller but with big hubcaps fitted aswell :D
i'm a fan of wellers!
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

yes i think im becoming a fan of them and banded wheels, just wondered what they looked like on a minor, cheers
...............................................ЯR................................................

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

rossrox wrote:yes i think im becoming a fan of them and banded wheels, just wondered what they looked like on a minor, cheers
Hmm I though banded wheels were no longer legal unless they were done professionally that meet current safety standards.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

i think your correct there!!! i would deffinatly not add bands myself, last thing i want to do is put ££££ in to my car and then crash it because i cheaped out on cruddy made wheels. but thankfully there are lots of people that band them properly and thes guys seem to be pretty good although not hugily cheap http://www.bandedsteels.com/

fozwanger
Minor Friendly

Post by fozwanger »

Banding wheels is not illegal. There are several places on ebay that do them or Banded Wheel Service on RodsnSods will give you the lowdown on their use, legality etc etc.

If not, get your centres welded into other rim of the same diameter and custom offset (moggy centre into Jag rim perhaps?)
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

There is a guy on the retrorides website who does them professionally called james p, he does 4 wheels for £180 and a lot of people on the retrorides thread that i posted about banded wheels and where to get them done said hes very good. i had about 5-6 recomendations of him saying his work is really, really good. i got quoted £320 with a 10% discount for four minor wheels from that banded steels website.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

£80 each for banded Minor wheels ???? Good grief............ :o
ImageImage
notabmw1

Post by notabmw1 »

I just made a set for my Mini, and now I am making a set for the Morris. Rears will be done by Monday or so, then front's a week later. I did no band them, I bought new hoops/shells for the Mini. I took Midget wheels and cut the centers out then bought the hoops and tigged them in. Went from a 13x4 to a 13x7 now. With the Morris I currently have 14x4 wheels with 175/70 tires. I am now going to a 16x8 rear with 245/50 tires, and on the front I'm going with a 15x5 with 185/55 tires. If you have the centers, it is about $60 a wheel to get them welded into new hoops. That includes bead blasting them. I went with a chrome outer hoop so that cost a bit more. Anyway, here is some pictures, I drilled the valve stems to be on the backside so you couldn't see them.

Test fitting, almost a 6" lip on there

Black centers before clear coat

Drilled hole on reverse side, filing smooth.

All done, I did get chrome center caps but not feeling them yet. Will revisit later.
NOTABMW Components
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

have a look in retro cars this month there is a triumph herald with banded wheels made to order,it looks really cool
Don't let the dream stealers get you
notabmw1

Post by notabmw1 »

Here is my banded wheels on the Morris. Pretty wide. Will be narrowing rear end a little bit. Cheers.

NOTABMW Components
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Look very good! I'm also getting a pair of wider steels done in much the same way, just on mgb hoops.
Have a look at this thread also :) excellent description/pictures of the process
http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/about5332.html
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Anyone doing this should consider the thickness (more the 'thin ness') of the steel used for the centre section of an original Minor wheel - which was designed for a 3.5" wide rim with no offset......
ImageImage