Ford Fiesta 1275 cc Engine

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blades
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Ford Fiesta 1275 cc Engine

Post by Blades »

I've been saving up for a while now to buy a Morris Minor, one thing that has crossed my mind is would the engine from my
mk v Ford Fiesta fit in to a MInor and also the gear box

The reason I ask is my Fiesta would need more spending on the body work than it is worth for the MOT next year, if the engine and gear box were suitable this would save a lot of money

Due to my limit technical skills it wouldn't be myself fitting them, it would be some one that knows what they are doing

Any advice would be gratefully received :)

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ford Fiesta 1275 cc Engine

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Fiesta is front wheel drive so would not fit as it is, not sure if you can fit the type 9 box to it to fit the fiesta engine, it would still need surgery to the bulkhead I would think

Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Ian

Thank you, it is a learning curve but was hoping to save a bit on money

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's not impossible - need to fabricate a suitable subframe and drop it in complete with suspension to make a front drive Minor!
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

It's not impossible, but if not doing it yourself, it'll be financially ruinous.

Your best bet if you want to save money, but still improve the Minor, is sell whatever's left of your Fiesta, spend the money on an MG Midget or Morris Marina/Ital 1275 engine and fit that in your Minor.

Those engines just bolt in with no fabrication or skill required.
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Thank you to every one, at least i know what i can't do and have got options for what i can do

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

If its the zetec engine, I know kitcar builders do rwd all the time. I just typed in fiesta mk5 engine rwd and it came up with looooads of stuff. Dont scrap the idea, its not a bad one. It fits the sierra type 9 ford box, which a million people use on the mog, including myself. But dont faf making the morris fwd work on making the fiesta engine rwd. Custom prop £100 to connect it to the back wheels through a type 9 gearbox. Do a little research, it isnt going to be cheap, but it means you can pay less and buy a good rolling shell Morris minor and then have something that will be rapid and relaible for daily driving and cheap to run (excpet your insurance ) but I ran a engine modified morris as my first car and in my first year of driving with everything declared it cost £550. Do your research, type in on google zetec morris minor and the guys at a certain warwickshire based morris company come up who can give you more answers.

Ive gone down the intensive modifying of the a series now and most days of the build I think damn, I shouldve gone modern ford engine!

Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Oh and what I meant to say is if you're not that experienced and buying a morris minor, dont you worry mate, youre about to step onto a steep learning curve! If youre passionate about modified classics, you have to get your hands dirty unless youre a millionaire! but the internet is such an awesome source for answers

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Sounds like a good project :D
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Thank you Suzukimorris, you have given me food for thought

I am only the second owner of my Fiesta and I knew the original owner so it will be a shame to see the car go as I know it has been looked after

It is 14 years old but has only covered 41,000 miles

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Check out here to see some zetec minors - and more:

http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=48

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Pete, thank you I think a call to Jonathon will be on the cards :-)

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

The zetec conversion is bread and butter stuff now to the old Ford guys. They have got this down to a fine art without the need of expensive parts. Just check the net for what they do. On the Minor front, contact Stevie (Morrisfixer) as his conversion is possibly the neatest around - prize winner at the mmoc rally.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Pete

Thank you, I will contact Stevie

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
Rich G

Post by Rich G »

Evening all - 1st post from a new member and thread resurrection too!

The 1250cc (not 1275) Fiesta Zetec engine bares no resemblance at all to the 1600, 1800 and 2000 Zetecs used for dropping into a myriad of small Fords and the like. The 1250 is a Yamaha design. It can be used but will probably be a tad more complicated than it same named bigger brothers.