Wheel nuts for Marina wheels

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuartstuart59
MMOC Member: No

Wheel nuts for Marina wheels

Post by stuartstuart59 »

Hi

I have recently bought a very nice Minor with Marina disc brakes and Marina wheels all round. I am not convinced that the wheel nuts fit correctly as once the wheel is off and you try the nuts on the studs they seem to have some play. Where would I get some new nuts or how do I measure the dimensions of the studs and the thread type.

The more I research the possibilities the more confused I am.

Thanks in advance

Stuart
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wheel nuts for Marina wheels

Post by philthehill »

The thread of a Marina/Ital wheel stud is 3/8" UNF x 24 TPI.
To confirm the size try a 3/8" UNF nut on the thread (an old cylinder head stud nut will suffice) and see what the fit is.
If a 3/8" UNF nut does not fit as it should report back and we will see what we can do.
Could you please post a photo of the wheel nuts as fitted because some Marina/Ital wheel nuts are different to Minor ones in that the Marina/Ital nut has a round initial shank before the spanner hexagon - this difference is used to retain the Marina/Ital plastic wheel trim.
These are the part numbers of the wheel nuts used on the Marina and taken from the Leyland parts list AKM0034.
113087 (normal type wheel nut)
AHA8785 (chrome cap type wheel nut)
FAM2812 (Used to retain plastic wheel trim as mentioned above).
109856 (normal type wheel nut)
So it is important to get it right.

New wheel nuts are available from Earlpart under Part Number: SUF331
Catalogue attached - look under suspension.

http://www.earlpart.co.uk/catalogue%20marina.pdf

The other option of course is to ask on here if anyone has some spare or visit your local scrap yard.
Note: It is most important that you get the right seating angle on the nuts because if the angles do not match - the wheel could come loose or the wheel nut seat break out of the wheel centre - both failures could end in disaster.
I have just checked a couple of Marina/Ital hubs / wheel studs that I have on the shelf and they are fitted with what could be called normal 3/8" UNF nuts so a photo of what you have is worth a thousand words.
The nuts on my spare hubs are a good fit on the wheel studs with absolutely no play.
Check the threads on the inside of the wheel nut as they do sometimes pull out and that may be your problem.
Best of luck.
Phil

stuartstuart59

Post by stuartstuart59 »

Thank you that is most helpful. I am not too good at photos but I will have a go. However the wheel nuts are chrome after market items so they are of uncertain origin. I may well have a cylinder head nut in the garage somewhere. The car I have has been rebuilt to a very high standard over a number of years with a lot of interesting parts but had only done a nominal mileage when I bought it in September so I am carefully going over the whole car checking it over.

Stuart
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And the result is? I would worry about 'chrome aftermarket wheelnuts' in case they are actually metric as used on modern cars.
ImageImage
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

bmcecosse wrote:And the result is? I would worry about 'chrome aftermarket wheelnuts' in case they are actually metric as used on modern cars.
Or maybe they were meant for a Mini?
Mini wheelnuts have a 30 degree taper, the Minor uses a 60 degree taper, as does the Marina. Perhaps the previous owner had some nuts lying about which were the same thread, so he used them without checking the taper.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Interesting as I have a set of 3/8" UNF chrome capped wheel nuts with a 45 degree angle that were sold as suitable for a Mini.
I have checked the angle with a Moore and Wright No: 44 angle gauge.
Perhaps universal for 3/8" UNF threaded wheel studs :roll: as they are halfway between 30 & 60 degrees.
They do have more of a rounded end form and not the precise 30 or 60 degrees as found on the Mini, Minor and Marina.
Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Marina wheels are horrible - but the good news is that alloy wheels from an MGF are the correct PCD - and are usually available very cheaply on ebay, often with good tyres, because they fit virtually nothing else. That's the way I would be going.
ImageImage
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Minor wheelnuts 66 degrees. Rostyle etc are 60 degrees.

Try laying 6 wheelnuts together in a circle with the cones innermost. If 60 degrees, you can make a circle with 6. If only 5 1/2 go in then you've got Minor nuts.
Cardiff, UK
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Sorry for the mild thread hijack, but I acquired some TR7 wheels (look like Marina but wider) but there's no taper at all for the nuts just a flat surface. So what sort of wheel nuts do TR7s use? This may be a question for Roy here... I know they had plastic wheel trims very similar to late Marinas/Itals, so presumably the smooth shank and plastic retaining washer like Marina wheels but how do they sit against the wheels?
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Iain if you send me your mobile number I will send you a picture :)