Wheel spacers to change PCD. Good idea or bad?

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hunsta
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wheel spacers to change PCD. Good idea or bad?

Post by Hunsta »

OK Just pondering a wheel question for a project Im doing. I have 165/70/14`s on the car at the moment. But they kinda look like skateboard wheels on a Mac truck. So I was just wondering about spacers to change the PCD to allow a different wheel. Unfortunately they are post 1951 14`s so have the 4 stud 101.6mm PCD. And I was looking at changing them to 4 stud 100mm PCD which is what most modern Japanese cars use I believe.
Now Ive never had anything to do with spacers. The pro`s are obvious. But I was wondering about the con`s. I would assume there would be some stress on the hub studs. But then bolted is bolted I would assume.
So anyone got some constructive advice?
Cheers
Craig
Canada64
Minor Friendly

Re: Wheel spacers to change PCD. Good idea or bad?

Post by Canada64 »

I have had difficulty in finding tyres on this side of the pond usingn155 x 14 tyres. As a result the tyres I am running are 175 x14. This makes the teeming heavy. Who is selling proper tyres with propper prices in the Canada?

The wider tyres are “OK” on most smooth highways but struggle when run on twisty roads ..

Has a brand of 5 speed transmission fond to a best bet. We have to spend some time on the motorways on our was to the less travelled highways.
Canada64
Minor Friendly

Post by Canada64 »

I have had difficulty in finding tyres on this side of the pond usingn155 x 14 tyres. As a result the tyres I am running are 175 x14. This makes the teeming heavy. Who is selling proper tyres with propper prices in the Canada?

The wider tyres are “OK” on most smooth highways but struggle when run on twisty roads ..

Has a brand of 5 speed transmission found to a best bet. We have to spend some time on the motorways on our was to the less travelled highways.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Hunsta
I believe these are the type of adapter spacers are what you are considering using:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Spacer ... Sw0QFXC6P3

Personally I would not use them because they creates more wheel offset therefore creating more loading on the suspension, bearings etc.
Also I would also have concerns about an alloy adapter spacer flexing.
At the end of the day it is your decision as to whether you use them or not.
Phil

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Illegal in Australia! :o

Don
Hunsta
Minor Friendly

Post by Hunsta »

Yes. Im getting the impression that its not a great idea. Just thought Id ask.
Cheers
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Just change stud pattern to 100mm pcd. Any good machine shop can do this for you. My brother has just done the exact same thing on a minor rear axle on a trike - got original holes welded on hubs, then got new holes drilled at 100mm, and just filed drums and half shafts to suit (not much needed). He did fit new studs, seals and bearings at the same time.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

These adaptor spacers are quality items and I wouldn't have a problem using them, but they do move the wheel out, but if using more modern wheels which have more backspace, then you will have to carefully measure to prevent wheelarch/ suspension upright fouling. I have a pair (same style) on the rear of my Minor and they are excellent for my purpose which was to fill the wheelarch (not minor axle though).

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

A comment about the offset. The thickness of the spacer and the current typical offset due to FWD are not at odds with each other. Getting them centered with the 3/8 studs in most likely a bigger hole would need to be addressed. Will the taper on the lug nuts be enough? Going wider with the confines of the upper link will naturally push the center of the tire out which will affect the handling.
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

steel studs machined into aluminium? what could possibly go wrong?
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Done properly they are no problem, look on the rear of a transit and you will find they have what is basically a pcd adaptor which allows you to change the brake disc.
if they are alloy they need to be sufficiently thick to carry the loads around the studs (i would suggest around 25mm) and as said above they need to be centred properly (no reason why you can't use the 3/8 studs as the standard wheel does). Then you need to choose a wheel with an offset that within a few mm puts the centre of the tyre back where is was originally, luckily many front wheel drive wheels are likely to be in the right direction.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Variation on a theme.
Minor font suspension with adapter.jpg
Minor font suspension with adapter.jpg (309.35 KiB) Viewed 7963 times