This section is to post information for individual MMOC areas
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
12jslater
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Clattering noise

Post by 12jslater »

Driving my 1951 Morris sidevalve today I went through a bit of water, deep but crawled through it and as soon as I sped up after I had passed through it my engine makes a metallic chattering noise on acceleration or load and a popping from the engine on over run, but still idles quietly as ever except the a pop every few seconds and once I get to speed and lift off the accelerator a bit all is normal.

It's been my daily driver without fault for six months now without a fault, she'd been off the road for 36 years, new manifold gasket, fluid changes, points, condenser, coil, carburetor clean out etc and no faults ran until today sweet as a nut.

I haven't a clue what it is?!
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clattering noise

Post by Chipper »

I would just continue to drive it gently and let it fully warm up over a decent period of running, which will hopefully clear whatever the issue is. Also check over all the usual culprits that get affected by water, e.g., distibutor, points, carb intake, fan belt/pulleys, etc.

Maybe also add a bit of Redex to your fuel next time you add some...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As above, if she was running fine beforehand, you've probably got a bit of water in where it shouldn't be.
I'd go for the distributor first, take it off, dry it thoroughly and give it a mist of WD40.
Then go for a good long run and warm her right through.
Good excuse for a road trip! :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

This post appeared a month ago on Nov 2nd and had lots of replies, its a bit odd that it appears again exactly the same and exactly month later. ??

Phil
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

pgp001 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm This post appeared a month ago on Nov 2nd and had lots of replies, its a bit odd that it appears again exactly the same and exactly month later. ??

Phil

If you click on 12jslater username and then Search Users Posts, you will find that he posted it twice, some 20 odd minutes apart, in 2 different forum headings.... :roll: :roll:

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:56 pm
Forum: MMOC Area Forum
Topic: Clattering noise

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:19 pm
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Clattering noise

I was going to post an image to illustrate, but we appear to have completely lost the the Attachments tab!!!
For Crying Out Aloud!!!
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

He’s right.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Just testing, and I've got the attachments tab. Could you try again please. Thanks.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

No tabs for me.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Or editing facility.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Just out of curiosity I had a look and I too find no 'Attachments' tab on this post???
11.48am Monday 02/12/19
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)