2 door VAE 306H

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
kevin s
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: 2 door VAE 306H

Postby kevin s » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:23 pm

Car is going fine, fan seems to work better now we have bled all the air out (had to add a further 1.5 litres of coolant).

Andrew has now bought this he wants to tow behind it for camping etc.
rps20210810_210219.jpg
rps20210810_210219.jpg (193.43 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
rps20210810_210205.jpg
rps20210810_210205.jpg (184.57 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
It's fundementaly sound, even the lights work OK.
We may replace the wheels with midget ones to match the car and he has loads of ash he felled and seasoned he will probably re-timber it with eventually.

First thing though is a tow bar for the minor (tried to insure him at 19 on the range rover they wanted 3 grand!) Most of the tow bars I have seen seem to hang off the bumper mounts and bolt to the floor just behind the fuel tank, none of which looks particularly clever. I was thinking of making something to bolt to the holed where the bumper moints to the body and goes under he fuel tank and bolts to tbe floor, anyone seen any better ideas?.

geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Postby geoberni » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:37 pm

I know there are some pretty strict rules and regulations about Tow Bars these days, not sure how they affect a car as old as a minor.
I think it only apples to cars made from the mid 90s.
Worth checking though....
Basil the 1955 series II

kevin s
Minor Addict

Postby kevin s » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:05 pm

They are supposed to carry a approval number after some point in tbe 90's which is the point manufacturers had to homologate the attachment points, it's a rig test where you bolt the bar to a bodyshell and apply loads via hydraulic actuators. I've witnessed it being done on a van with a 3.5T trailer, it's amazing how much things deflect!

But as you say none of this would ever have been done for a minor, it still seems to be a free for all with a variety of designs on sale some of which I would worry about putting a bike on!

kevin s
Minor Addict

Postby kevin s » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Haven't done much about the tow bar, car seems to be going well, cooling fan works fine now all the air is bled out as well, gearbox still sounds awfull in first but seems to work OK though there is no discernable indent in first, is this normal?

One thing we do want to do is do something about the rear suspension, while the front feels sure footed and well planted the rear feels loose and bouncy. At the moment it is standard 5 leaf set up with the original untouched lever arm dampers.

We have some 7 leaf springs as well.

My thoughts are firstly to improve the damping, drain the probably 50 year old oil out and replace with 40 grade damper oil.

Secondly you can clearly feel it hitting the bump stops especially when loaded, they are new but seem a bit hard, maybe drill some holes in them or try to fit something more progressive off a modern like a ka any thoughts?

From my work on other cars and vans I know softer springs are often better for traction, do the 7 leaf ones affect this and the ride much?

I also thought about designing a dual rate leaf spring, something like 4 eliptical leaves with a rate similar to the 5 leaf and then a couple of virtually straight leaves which come into play as the suspension travels beyond the normal ride height, any idea if this has been done before on a minor? (I've seen it on plenty of other cars and vans)