1956 s11 traveller restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

Wow... that is smart!
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Said engine back in its natural surroundings!! I do hope the gearbox is ok, I have 4 1098 boxes and cant recall which was the one from the terminally rotten 30k car I broke up. Fingers crossed......

Big thanks to Stevey and Robert for all the assistence over the last few days :D :D :D
<br>Image<br>

Too many Minors so little time.....
kjm
Minor Addict

s2 traveller restoration

Post by kjm »

Hi David
great to see your making good progress , role on Easter Monday !

regards Kenny
:D
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Post by mmjosh »

good job looks really nice

Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Jealous already - and it's not even finished yet! Keep up the good work.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

The weathers holding up progress a wee bit. The garage is so small you need to push the car out to work on it!!! All that happened last week was I made and fitted brackets to fit the small sidelights into the larger indicator hole on the 1098 wing. Also assembled the front panel, which looks like Ive done loads but is a nice easy and clean job! Today I left the radiator in to be recored as its developed a hole while its been knocking about the garage. I hope to get stuck in again on Thursday, DVWP :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Yesterday we fitted the front panel, hockey sticks and front bumper. Progressing well!<br>Image<br>
Hopefully tomorrow we will get the windscreen fitted. I have found the best method to be an old pillar cut down, the two sides joined with this, fit the rubber and fit from the inside. Once in place remove the cut down pillar and you should have exactly the space for the shiney new one! I do hope it fits as the one I bought for the lowlight was slightly too long and I ended up refitting the old one....

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

I didnt get started on the car today, some dirty scumbags ( probably drunken or spaced kids that think they have nothing better to do) tried to break into the garage last night. Thankfully they didnt manage it but did suceed in destroying the frame that holds the door in place. We have got it secure again and fitted bolts into the ground but it will require a new frame fitting. :evil: :evil: :evil:

kjm
Minor Addict

traveller

Post by kjm »

David ,
annoyed to hear about your hassle , the car is coming on well , I had been thinking about putting a lock on the shed door , must do it 2moro , we go away next week , in case you were thinking of bringing the car down.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Theres not been much action on the traveller lately. I had to move lock ups as the other one needed a new frame and Ive MOTed the blue one and getting the black one sorted. Today we were refitting the splitscreen and almost had it sorted when the laminated drivers side cracked, BUMMER or wot!?!

So a new one is ordered and hopefully will be fitted very soon.

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Glad to here the traveller is back on track again... sorry to here of your recent problems.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

patricklambert
Minor Fan

Post by patricklambert »

wow that paint job looks good! as for the kids breaking in a i find a rottweiler works wonders! :D
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

or a pickaxe!!!

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Re: 1956 s11 traveller restoration

Progress has been slow again....

A new windscreen has been fitted after the old one cracked trying to refit it :( Hopefully it will be watertight.

We had a few disasters yesterday, went to refit the carb only to find the studs too close together, the oil filter housing was cracked and the water pump damaged. This was all fine when the engine was taken out so I can only assume that it has been dropped or fallen over at some time while Ive been working on the body. So today another waterpump and oil filter housing was fitted and some gentle persuasion with a hammer sorted the carb studs out! Next filled all the fluids up and it started no problem!! :D I had it jacked up at the back and tested all the gears on the second hand box and it appears to be nice and quiet.

So we refiited the bonnet as well, getting there :D

Tomorrow, hope to go over the brakes. Its been off the road now for about 15 months so hopefully nothng has seized up. May even get the back wings fitted, they have been on the bed in the spare room for ages![frame]Image[/frame]
Stevey looking MADLY happy

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

oh dear... well at least it was dark when you took the snap

and you didnt even get my good side !! :D
(no coments please) :D :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Progress and setbacks today.......

The brakes are all sorted, checked over, adjusted and bled. It bled up surprisingly easily so hopefully the pedal will still be hard tomorrow. One handbrake cable needed changing as it was the type without the grease nipple and had seized up.

The setback was when I was putting it back in the garage at lunchtime the engine just stopped. There appears to be no spark at the points. The battery is a bit knackered as well so I will get a new one and start to seek out the problem tomorrow.[frame]Image[/frame]
I put the back doors together tonight in the heat of the kitchen!! My brother is coming over tomorrow to give me a hand to fit them, hes an engineer so will do a much more precise job of marking out and fitting the doors than me :D

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

Glad to see you have got back to the traveller , hopefully see her out at Easter :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Great progress today, back doors on and fitting really well[frame]Image[/frame]
Both back wings also fitted and pleasing me :D :D :D[frame]Image[/frame]
It even got a very quick wash and and polish!! Next job will be the side windows and rear lights fitted, but back to work now until next week

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

Looking great David, not long now. Yesterday I got our Minor washed and polished , and the glass done inside and out , on tuesday evening put pieces of that rubber pipe on the boot lip , it has made a big difference.Thanks again.

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Coming together then! Looking really good!