Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by davidmiles »

I've learnt learnt a lot through it mind, notably not to mess with this area...<br>Image<br>
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

a re think would see a garage clear out and disposal of scrap parts like these rotted out floors and wheel arches<br>Image<br>
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

making more room at the back of the garage for the lump.
<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

So I'll be scanning the internet for a replacement cab or even a reasonable van to use as donor vehicle.
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

That's a shame - however you've certainly given it a good go! I'm sure plenty of people will be keeping their eyes peeled for you :-)

Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

I think that's a wise decision. I had to scrap my 4-door recently as it was clear that it would have needed so much work (and money!) that I wouldn't be driving it for many years - and even then I would be worrying if my welding skills were good enough to end up with a roadworthy car. There are plenty of rescue projects out there that have slightly less structural decay. Here's a pic of my now departed moggie on the day of its scrapping. Note the pile of rust and filler in the back which I had swept off the floor when I rolled it out of my garage!

<br>Image<br>

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i think i would have to say a wise descision

but you gave it a good shot

you would be better off in buying one that is up and running and mot1d
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

You don't mean that Dennis!! David needs his fun :-)

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Yes you're right, I'll save a bit and spend out on something decent, I'm still going to keep the rear body sides, and the new floor panels from andrew, but I'm keeping an open mind at what type I'll go for next, I've always admired the traveller as much as the pickup. I'm not giving up on the pickup idea at all though. with all Ive learnt over the last few weeks, I'll be far better informed about buying one.
pfgiz
Minor Addict

Post by pfgiz »

I’m so sorry now that the one in Lindfield wasn’t any better…. It’s a shame… But the phoenix will rise from the ashes, I have no doubt….

With the idea of possible donor vehicles in mind how different is the front of a 4 door??? Could one with a bad rear but a serviceable front be a good substitute or are they just too different?? It’ll just make it easier to look out for spares….

Cut out the chassis number before you loose the cab, it makes a great key ring....
Peter Gisby.

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Sorry to hear your news Dave, I think maybe we were all wondering if this day would come, not that I blame you, there was virtually nought to save, what was the final straw? I guess it was the bulkhead.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

That front cross member was the only really strong part, I made the mistake of cutting in there and I wish I'd left it alone, mind you there is so much missing, you live and learn. those dimensions and templet you did for me won't go to waste Les, either I'll use them myself or they'll go to a user of this forum. lets see what the project market has in stall for me in the future,I'll keep you all up to speed of course, after all the support you've all given me I'm here to stay.
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

Please dont stop now you have done so much please please you have got so far.
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Cor ................ this is only about 10 minutes away from me but unfortunately I'm not really qualified to check it out structurally. Looks like he want to get rid of it quickly - only a couple of days to go. I would have suggested Charlie might consider having a look but I know he's of to Wales tomorrow lunch-time. David - if there is anything you want me to do (if you're interested) just let me know.

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

from the photos looks a better bet to me :D :D
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

True - but you can't see it's bottom :lol:

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

:D :D :D :D
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Cheers Ani & Dennis, I'm saving some cash up to get myself a decent donor van, I'm staying with the pickup restoration plan, just want to give myself a better chance this time with a decent start point. I may have to put that old chassis up on e bay to part fund it.<br>Image<br>
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Nice to hear from you again :-) I thought your family might have re-claimed you :lol: I expect that chassis is better than mine ............... sadly too much of a major task for me to do.