1949 Tourer from Aus

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1949 Tourer from Aus

Post by RobThomas »

Hopefully this shows it. The back edge needs to be folded as a curve otherwise the top and bottom of the fold cannot meet the original panel unless the centre of the fold protrudes upwards as in the above pics. I've placed a piece of paper to show where the curve needs to go. If the repair panel is folded straight then there HAS TO BE somewhere where it won't fit.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

http://mmoc.org.uk/mbimage.php?src=1272791267_11802
Anyone know when the little bracket above the G-clamp came into use? It isn't on my '49 and it would make the job of hanging the wings a lot easier.
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Its not on my 1950 lowlight either but there were remains of one on my 1956 traveller.

Too many Minors so little time.....
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, David.

Does anyone have any dimensions and close-up pics? I think I'll make some up for our lowlight.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Front of that wing being inspected by management. Looking better after 4 days of filling/rubbing and then a quick coat of colour and some polish. This is the wing that had been in a shunt and was stove in at the front corner. The back edge needs to be final rubbed so that the door will open without scuffing the leading edge of it on the wing.
[frame]Image[/frame]

How they looked 6 months ago.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by RobThomas on Sun May 29, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardiff, UK
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Rob

Its lovely !!! but the colour dosent match very well :(

Taupe
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I'm told that flourescent lights are not quite so forgiving as daylight when it comes to showing off the dents. Fingers crossed that it will look alright in green in daylight. :D

I've just hung the bonnet, front panel and inner wheelarch covers (lowlight stuff) and it seems that my bonnet has lost a tiny bit of shape on the right side. The line where it meets the front wing is parallel at the rear 1/5th, sits high for the next 2/5ths and then drops below wing height right until the very front of the bonnet. I guess a little percussive adjustment is required? Is this common or might it suggest that the wings is more likely the problem? The front inner cover on this side is a poor fit due to the previous accident damage and the mounting holes have lots of small hairline cracks and some torn edges. Might be worth trying to knock it back into shape rather than making new ones. I have a spare set but they are much worse in the rust department.

Am I right in that the wings go on first, then the inner panels, then the radiator support, then the front panel before adding the hockey sticks?
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Put the wings on first and get them well lined up at the door edge first, then I would bolt your front panel and radiator support together into one part before fitting, then the headlight bits at the back and lastly the hockey sticks.

I found this pic of your car when it was for sale at the national in 2005, I guess you may have seen it before.[frame]Image[/frame]

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks for that. We put in a bid for it in 2005 but Carlo got in ahead of us and got it back on the road before selling it to us. Any more pics of it and do you recall who sold it to Carlo???

What I was hoping to find out was whether the wings lapped over or under the front panel. It certainly looks that way but leaves the edge of the front panel exposed where the hockey stick doesn't quite cover the edge.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

So, should the hockey stick cover the front panel or is this one not a good fit? I'm of the opinion that the front panel sits outside of the front wing. These new hockey sticks aren't curved enough and the inboard end isn't a good fit to the top chrome rail under the bonnet.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Im not 100% sure but I think it was for sale from MGM and they also had an ozzy datsun engined 4 door for sale. It was beside there stand anyway. Thats the only pic I can find at the moment, I was very keen to have it too but it would have been a nightmare to get home!

The hockey stick should cover the edge of the front panel, have you fitted the headlamp covers at the back as this will help pull the hole lot together when its tightened? Is the front panel actually sitting above the hockey stick? I had one new hockey stick and one NOS and found them both to be ok. On Mine I had to space out the top chrome grill edge with washers as it sat in a wee bit.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Found another crack. again, it is on the top of the eyebolt tube where it is welded into the chassis rail.
Suggests that there is a good reason why both sides have cracked here but I can't work it out. Only on the outside face, so far. Any ideas?[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Hi Rob

Bumpy Aussie roads?

Taupe
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Someone had let the bootlid open right up and fold against the body with the result that it was flattened between the hinges and therefore needed to be built up. I tried beating it into shape but it was too rigid to do so without causing too much damage. A veritable filler-fest![frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

A bit of rubbing down and a coat of green to show any imperfections. I find it really difficult to detect imperfections through the palm of my hands so I've sprayed colour on to give me a chance of seeing them.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Sprayed the bootlid and rear panels with some paint that has failed to 'go off' and has reacted with the primer underneath. Got to strip it all off again since it has stayed soft. Not a happy bunny today. :evil:
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Soooooooo......back to the rubbing, filling and priming. You can spot this is a lowlight because there is a small bulge on later cars where that metal 'slapping spoon' is sticking out of the hole at top left of the picture.
I had some advice from Jonathan at JLH on the subject of filling and sanding an, as ever, it has worked out well.
[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

A few dents round the screen where the seals were once levered out. This lowlight was buit before screen demister holes were moulded into the car so there are no holes to allow anything to flow out of a heater to the screen. I've got 2 Lucas screen heaters to go on this car.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, prime etc etc, ad infinitum.

Ring any bells? Booooooooooring.

On the boot floor is a sanding device with a velcro pad that has a foam spacer on it to help sand gentle curves. Quite handy. I bet that bloke 'Matt Black' has made a few quid over the years.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

....but at the end of the day you get to put a pretty colour on it all.[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK