Dean's 1971 Traveller Fiat/Lancia Twin Cam Project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
polo2k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Dean's 1971 Traveller Fiat/Lancia Twin Cam Project

Post by polo2k »

Looking really good there.
Im in the same club of madness in a minor!
although I am much earlier in proceedings :)

Again none of this is critisism, meerly observations :) oh and in no particular order

I noticed that you have modded the bulkhead, have you kept the bit with the chassis number stamped in? There are a pleathora of new rules and regs at the DVLA regarding whats allowed and whats not, I would recomend having a look at the new rules as I understand that bulkhead modifications can he a huge NO NO

In this pic:
the bumper irons seem to be outside the engine bay, have you double skinned the inner arches/wings?
(and nice broom storage lol)

Id never thought about putting the axle stands there, looks like you would get a lot more working space. hows that working out?

You mentioned a slimmer front cross member, could you snap a pic of that as its something im in the process of meddling with at the moment.

I have recently posted about fuel systems so your questions come at a good time!
A minor engine only needs a trickle of fuel to run so the stock tank and pump are sufficient. Once a thirsty lump goes in there things change a bit. Fuel injected engines tend to need a high pressure feed and a return to the tank.
I have found a product that will give everything required and should be pretty simple and comparatively low cost.
CBS ltd to a fuel swirl pump. The way im thinking of doing it is to fit one of these somewhere and connect it as follows:
It needs a pump to feed at low pressure from the tank (planning on something similar to a minor pump but very close to the tank)
it has an output to feed into a high pressure injection pump
it will need a return line to come back from the injector rail on the engine.
it also has a return line to the tank.

This will probably lessen the effects of fuel surge from the original tank. I will probably use a steed or ally T piece for the return and fit this in line with the fuel filler pipe.
The way this will work if the low pressure pump will run all the time to keep the swirl pot topped up, this will then give an uninterrupted supply to the high pressure pump, the high pressure pump will run continuously and any fuel not used comes back down the return line and into the swirl tank. Whenever supply exceeds demand the excess will exit the swirl pot and end up back in the fuel tank.
This may change though lol

On your ignition module I would find the earth by checking with a multi meter (on resistance setting) if any of the wires are internally connected to the body of the unit. this will be the earth and hopefully should give you a starting point.

I noticed that you have wooden panels in the woodwork. I don't suppose you might have been inspired by a car that used to do some shows and had tongue and groove instead of the ally panels?

Ta Da!!

good to see another Trav coming together!
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
oldromrider
Minor Friendly

Post by oldromrider »

Hi Igor, man you've been busy. It takes me back to see what you had to contend with. I took a bit of breather once I got mine solid. The breather lasted about 10 years. Anyway we move on.
About the bulk head. I only cut out what was required to place a panel over. I stuck in some sound deadening on both sides and on the backside of the panel and tacked the panel the seamed the edges. From inside the cab it's clear that the original firewall is in place. Yes I did take off the VIN plate and still have it in one of the many little boxed of odds and ends.
Yes the inner wings are panelled too. Made up witha cardboard template and cut them myself. The PITHA was slotting the pivot arms through the panel. I'll run the head light electrics behind the panels to keep it looking tidy.
The broom comes in handy as I dont have the bonnet functioning fully since I had to take the whole brace out to get the bonnet punched with louvres. It was worth it though. The cross brace is back in but not the stay. I also have a good sweep up as I like to keep a tidy floor. How many time do you just have do go out an check something when sat in your sunday best?
The axle stands I place under the bumper bars. While I was positioning the engine. You can see the mounts have been removed. I need to get the engine lower as the carbs were too close to the bulkhead.
I'll post up a shot of the cross member. I'm not sure if you need one. But is with the Fiat/Lancia block to enable clearence of the crank pulley.
You're fuel system is is obviously founded on injection, I'm not so clued up on injection systems. I'm not that clued up either on carb system if i'm honest but trying my best.
Th eafter market pump i have is a HARDI item - German. I can't find a model number on it so not sure of it's spec. I might just sell it and go for the recommended Facet red top.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
The full woody look was actually inspired by someof the 60's wagons from the states. The body colour I have in mind is liek a primrose yellow - quite pale n- it goes really well with the frame I have and marine ply panels - except they are not marine ply. I wanted to reduce the matainance carried out on looking after more wood so searched out some Fablon in the colour I wanted and carefully warmed it up and applied it to the ali panels after they were keyed. The panels also have sound deadening bitumastic sheet applied to the inside. It takes away any tin like vibrations. I would recommend it. It's great stuff.
Last edited by oldromrider on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dp
Minor Legend

Re: Dean's 1971 Traveller Fiat Twin Cam Project

Post by dp »

oldromrider wrote:Hi all thanks for the encouraging comments.
As you can see from the photos the alternator is currently mounted on the oil filter housing on the right. It's somewhat cramped over there with the carb flutes and dizzy and really could do with mounting it on the left as seems to be the more common place at least from images I have seen. The problem I have is that I don't have the the mounting bracket and tension arm.
[edit]
I bought some brackets from here

http://www.millersmule.com/
Items 050 (looks like 052) and 051 under Fiat parts but found I couldn't move the alternator across because my (non standard) exhaust manifold takes up all the room. So I now have a surplus lower mount to bolt to the two lower studs and curved bracket/adjuster to bolt to the upper hole. Make me an offer if interested.

Incidentally, how have you fitted the falseinner wing panels at the bottom? I'm thinking of fitting some but want to be able to remove easily in order to keep an eye on the brake lines.
oldromrider
Minor Friendly

Post by oldromrider »

I seam welded the inner panels to the floor. At the top I clamped the panel to the inner edge of inner wing. Then spot welded along to hold it firm while I ground/file the panel to match the inner wing. Then you can fit your bonnet seal over the edge. The important part is to get the panel square withe floor and the edge at the bulkhead, don't worry about match the edge with inner wing. So cut a template that has the top edge is sitting proud so the panel can ground down to meet the inner wing. Remember not to weld the panel in until you marked up the opening for the suspension arm. Then cut that out. Then your ok to make peranent fix. If I remember rightly, I left the panel loose until I feed the suspension arm through. The welded it in.
I relocated the brake lines underneath. Much easier to get to an easy to keep a check on too.
Last edited by oldromrider on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Nice work! I'm also working on a 1965 Minor 2-door with Fiat twin cam, now running pretty well, just needing carpets to complete. I found that the Fiat engine block mounted mechanical fuel pump wasn't very efficient, so mounted a Facet electronic pump just aft of the fuel tank, which works well, though they are rather noisy.

The progress can be seen here:
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... 056&page=1
Last edited by Chipper on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
dp
Minor Legend

Re: Dean's 1971 Traveller Fiat Twin Cam Project

Post by dp »

oldromrider wrote:MG Midget Thermostat arrived today in position on the head, fits perfectly. Should take care the problem of the remote thermostat has of not cooling cylinder 4. Far cheaper too at 99p[frame]Image[/frame]
I read somewhere that there's a design fault that cylinder 4 doesn't get enough cooling when the heater is off since water doesn't flow through the pipe at the back of the engine. Solution is to modify pipework slightly so that water always flows through that pipe. So either t off the pipe there for the heater and t it back in at the front. That means less hot water to the heater though. Or have two valves configured so that one opens when the other closes. (or a three way valve).

I'm going to try with 2 valves like this:
and a cable to pull one open and the other closed simultaneously.
oldromrider
Minor Friendly

Post by oldromrider »

In an effort to get the engine lower and away from the bulkhead, I got started today making my own. Took me all day but pleased enough, and I know it puts the engine just where I need it.[frame]Image[/frame]
An engine mount today.