my 1968 4 door saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
singleton
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

my 1968 4 door saloon

Post by singleton »

Hello all, here are a few pics taken of my 1968 morris minor the other day. This car was owned by my late grandfather in the early 70s then by my dad up until 1981. It was my dads 1st car and I spent a lot of time trying to track it down in the mid 90s but never found it. By chance in 2000 a friend mentioned a morris minor which has stood in a lock up for years, I went to see it and could not believe my eyes when i saw the reg number! it was the car,what are the chances of that! It was bought back in a semi stripped down condition and I have just done bits and bobs over the years and now I really should crack on with it! Dragged it out the other day and put some petrol in it and put a charged battery on it and had it running in no time![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]10193[/sig]
Dryad
Minor Addict

Re: my 1968 4 door saloon

Post by Dryad »

What an amazing piece of luck to find it again! Many people try to track down an old family car only to find that it has long since been scrapped. Looks like an excellent project - is it as solid as it looks?

youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Well done on finding your old car, my dad managed to do the same with my Grandads MGB although it is in remarcably worse condition.
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

what an amazing find and looks a lovely car
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

It's not in too bad shape really, last taxed in 1987 it's done well to have been stored by various people over the years since. Since I bought it back it's had welding underneath, a replacement engine and box, wiring loom, 1 replacement door and I have also replaced 2 rear fibreglass wings with good metal ones and a mint metal boot lid and bonnet, so not quite all origional! I broke 2 complete cars for spares back in 2000 and have bought many other spares up. Not going for a show winner just want a useable car like it was when my grandad and dad ran it. Going to keep it standard just with van wheels or banded rims.
[sig]10193[/sig]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Somebody seems to have stolen the numbers off the plates :lol:

singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Here are a few pic updates of my 1968 salloon and picture of it where found where it had sat for years! Front and rear wing all repaired and primed, used o/s/r door all repaired and primed[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]10193[/sig]
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Post by mmjosh »

this is very intresting keep up the good work :D

singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Started to renovate my recentley purchased banded steels...[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]10193[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Like the wheels anything else been done :D
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Not really much progress on the car lately, my son was born last june so the last years been a bit of a busy one. Going to start doing a bit again, really want it on the road now.
[sig]10193[/sig]
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

tried 1 of my wide wheels on, looks pretty good.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]10193[/sig]
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Very jealous they do look great.
___Anne___

singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Cheers, will let you know if ever decide to sell them on if you want.
[sig]10193[/sig]
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Please do :) So your keeping the rest of the car standard? a lucky find indeed. Does she need much welding?
___Anne___

scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

What a great story.

Well impressed with the wings. Did you do all the work yourself?
George
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Yes did the wings myself, repaired any dings and preped them, seam sealed the inner lips, hamerite black painted the insides, the pic shows them in normal primer but I have since zinc primered them to keep them better in storage.
[sig]10193[/sig]
singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Yes alex n ane going to keep it mostly standard, Ive fitted a cd player in the glovebox and an alarm that's about as far as the mods go. Welding wise most is now done, it's to a mot standard rather than show winning but will do the job. I see you've got a project on the go, what's your plans with that? What wheels are on it? Going to put the wide wheels on mine and hang the wings on and roll it out for some pictures next weekend I think.
[sig]10193[/sig]
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Sounds good to me :) well 'the project' is now 'the shell' and the everyday one anne has become a major project :P Shes currently in the process of getting all new suspension and dampers and front discs. Then the plan is to fit a 1.4 zetec se engine ford 5speed box. She will hopefully be pretty standard looking externally, hence wanting some wide steels :)
___Anne___

singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Had my moggie out the garage today to have a bit of a sort out.Took some pics with the wide wheels on to get an idea what it will look like. Hung all the wings im using on the car, got to adjust position of sidelight on nearside front wing. I like the stance it has on the banded steels. Going to do all the rear brakes over the next week or so.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]10193[/sig]