barrie's project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: barrie's project

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Looks fantastic, wish my boot lid was that rust free! It has given me even more incentive to get on with it! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
George Smathers
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by George Smathers »

Looks great with the stone chip. Thanks for the lessons.

George
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Just have to say your work looks superb. That is going to be one stunning Morris. Thanks for posting the photos.
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

Hi all , thank you so much for all your interest and kind words, I will soon be using my fathers garage to tackle the car it self ! I will be replacing the drivers sill sections floor and getting the drivers door to fit . Il probably be opening a can of worms filled with rust but I'm up for the challenge , with a little help from my family . As this project is for them as well as me.
Kind regards
Barrie
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

hi all , iv had a week off work , and iv actually had some time to attack the morris , iv started to strip it right down to its shell. all thats left of her is the wiring /engine gearbox /suspension and fuel tank . also iv finished the other door ,and its been primed ready for me to prep and paint when i get back to work (hope works not to busy !!!).the photos below are the shell and a few rusty bits that i will be removing and rebuilding .
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Jared
Minor Friendly

Post by Jared »

It looks fairly solid, and the quality of your paintwork is amazing. The finished car will be quite an eye catcher.
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

rusty drivers floor , a floor ontop of a floor!![frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

to be honist it is a solid car , i took the roof lining down and all the interior and it looks unbelievably clean ,under the rear seats seem solid enough .but scabs of rust around the windows but im happy there is still some metal left !![frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

inside the roof, inside the roof at the front , you can see the join the factory did all those years ago , very impressed !![frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

all i need to do now is get her to my dads garage find a welder , and get cutting , and i cant wait to get stuck in . the floor will be removed ,all sill panels removed and replaced then the front end will be removed and replaced .
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

here is the other door primed . its been sat for a week , to fully cure. even though the door has been baked at 60 degrees . this will let the primer fully cure and hopefully stop any shrink back where the filler is , shrink back is where the primer sinks into the filler even after the top coat has been applied , it will show up as a slight ring around the edge of the filler.the photo shows the door primed with a light coat of matt black .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

the inside of the door was sanded down using a tiny da sander with 400 grit paper and red scotch for the tricky bits . i then sanded the shuts of the doors with 800 grit paper .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

the outside of the door was 800 wet and dry paper , used dry , at this stage i didnt want to risk getting water on the door to prevent it rusting !![frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

a little tip . if your at this stage and your not sure if a repair is not quite right . there is a way to quickly check ,flat the panel down and clean any dust off , put the panel on a flat surface and get a spray bottle with solvent degreaser , spray the hole panel with it as even as you can , so its completely wet , this will let you look down the panel as tho it been painted this will show up any ripples ,if there are any ,a reprime and flat down a second time should sort this out .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

hello again , its been a while since i last posted an update on my project, work has been busy but the last few weeks have not been so !! so iv began repairing the gearbox tunnel , its been done before and its rusty everywhere so a bit of cutting and plate making and welding was the plan !
first up is a picture of the tunnel after the paint was removed with a small sander and DA sander on grind.[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

using 80 grit on a DA sander on grind cleaned it up really well , there was more rust top then underneath , but the underneath was covered in oil !! .
right , the first thing was the easy side , a strip from top to bottom on the n\s with a slight bend in it .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

once iv made the piece i clamped it to the panel and marked around it with a pencil or screwdriver , cut it out with a cutoff tool and air saw . making sure i leave the outer section in tact , you will see why later on .[frame]Image[/frame]
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

welded in using a kempy mig welder .all around apart from the outer edge , i just tact this part .[frame]Image[/frame]