53 Split Screen FINALLY OUT ON THE ROAD!!!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Birchall
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

53 Split Screen FINALLY OUT ON THE ROAD!!!

Post by Birchall »

Hi,

I bought the 53 Minor a year ago (there was a topic about it at that time too, advertised on ebay and people were not sure if it was value for money.

I took a "punt" and bought it unseen "SCARY", but I had allowed for it being a disappointment and basically it was VERY solid but very tired.

So it came off the road straight away.

It took a few days to completely strip it and nearly 9 months to out it back together again!!!! (doesn't it always)

I had a full spray done in two pack black (the original colour). But unfortunately the guy who sprayed it died within days of finishing it (His hunting gun slipped and killed him in his own home!!!!!). So now that it is all together it really needs a good cut and polish (this was left until it was reassembled). I will let you know how that turnsd out.

No bodywork needed replacing, but I have replaced EVERYTHING else with new (apart from the back axle).

Isn't it just great that you can buy almost every part brand new!!!!

New interior, new chrome etc. etc. Recon (Lead free) engine (was a 948 in the car when I bought it).

Tracked down a clock for the glovebox at a reasonable !!!! price.

Fitted a servo, front discs and an anti roll bar (OK, sorry purists, but I don't intend this to be concours, that is not my way)

Finally drove her to the MOT station and (thankfully) no problems at all (no surprise really, but you can never tell).
Drives LOVELY and it is easy to see how a car like this back in 1953 became so popular. Light on the steering, nippy enough and (these days) a real headturner.

Still some final sorting to do, not a lot but just detailing.

I will post more photos after the polishing / detailing, to see if you think the £500 is worth it, I think it will be, black always shows the swirls etc. in the sun.

Taking her to the Uxbridge Auto Show in July (a GREAT show if you have never been!!!!

More later[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 53 Split Screen FINALLY OUT ON THE ROAD!!!

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
What a lovely car, I think you got a bargain.
I bought mine via an eBay advert as well. Though this was some months after it had appeared and failed to sell! Mine wasn't as solid as yours though, so I could see why people wouldn't pay the £1700 he was asking, got it for £1200 with an MOT on it, in the end. Though how it passed it's MOT I will never know (another story) :o !
Still it drove back from Manchester to Milton Keynes without a hitch :P .
I've been using it as an every day car / rolling restoration since, as you say great cars to own and drive. Wouldn't want a modern now.
One question, why is there a gear shift sized hole in your tunnel carpet, have you fitted a five speed with the old gear lever re-attached?
Hope you continue to enjoy her.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi,

One question, why is there a gear shift sized hole in your tunnel carpet, have you fitted a five speed with the old gear lever re-attached?
Hope you continue to enjoy her.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Thanks for the comments, glad you like it!

To be honest, I have been a car fan for over forty years but only bought my first Minor last year and I have been hooked on them since!!!

The carpet was designed for the original gearbox that matched the old side valve engine that would have been in it originally.

The 948 gearshift is further back hence the "hole".

I plan on trying to get a replacement carpet from a 948, but in the meantime I will patch this one for now.

Cheers
Steve B

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Looks very nice - well done! :D

Found the original thread: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39032
I will post more photos after the polishing / detailing, to see if you think the £500 is worth it, I think it will be, black always shows the swirls etc. in the sun.
I can get a pretty good finish polishing mine myself but look forward to seeing what the professionals can do. Didn't realise that a professional polish & detailing was so expensive though! :o

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

LouiseM wrote:
I can get a pretty good finish polishing mine myself but look forward to seeing what the professionals can do. Didn't realise that a professional polish & detailing was so expensive though! :o

Thanks for finding that.

The reason for the cost is the time they take, it is a day or two at least. They even measure the thickness of the paint before they start and then take off a thin layer and then polish that.

I nearly always have black cars and it is always tricky to get a deep black finish unless the paint is really good to start with (as it sounds like yours may be).

I am pretty confident that the difference will be worth the cost, I have spent over £10,000 on the car and the paint doesn't even look great (nothing wrong with it, it was deliberately left like this awaiting a polish).

I will keep you posted.

Steve B

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Birchall wrote: I nearly always have black cars and it is always tricky to get a deep black finish unless the paint is really good to start with (as it sounds like yours may be).
No, the paint isn't great on mine but it looks alright from a distance! :) I use a carnauba stick then plenty of wax and elbow grease which makes it nice and shiny but it would need a respray to get it looking really good.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

LouiseM wrote:Looks very nice - well done! :D

The photos don't do it justice but if you compare the before and afterr you may agree with me that it really is a good job that they did!!!

the before shot[frame]Image[/frame]

And the after shot[frame]Image[/frame]
And a closer shot after.[frame]Image[/frame]

AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

Ooh, it's got the high cut rear wings :)
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

AntB wrote:Ooh, it's got the high cut rear wings :)
Yes, that is the correct rear wings for this year.

Steve B

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Steve,
They have made a superb job of that polishing, like a dark mirror! :D
Will you be bringing it along to the National?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

jagnut66 wrote:Hi Steve,
They have made a superb job of that polishing, like a dark mirror! :D
Will you be bringing it along to the National?
Best wishes,
Mike.
Hi,

possibly, if I still have it that is!!!

Steve B

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Why? Are you selling?
Regards,
Mike.
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

jagnut66 wrote:Why? Are you selling?
Regards,
Mike.
Purely financial reasons, nothing else!!!!

Been doing house improvements and the cost has gone through the roof (literally!)
Running out of funds rapidly.

Steve B

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear that. Would of been nice if you had got to enjoy all that hard work a little, before life came along and kicked you in the b*******s!! :roll:
Still, I shall look out for it at the National in case it hasn't sold.
Best wishes,
Mike.
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

Just over 2 hours to go and no bids on that auction site......
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

C6Dave wrote:Just over 2 hours to go and no bids on that auction site......
Yeah, not surprising really, hard times and £8,000 is a lot of money (even if that is the parts bill alone!)

The longer it takes to sell the longer I get to keep it so no tears from me!

Taking it to a small show at British Airways on Sunday, next to Heathrow airport, took my "special " taxi there a couple of years back, not a bad little show.

Steve B

David53
Minor Addict

Post by David53 »

Congrats on the car - looks superb. I notice you have the very rare glovebox clock. Is this an original or a modern reproduction?
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

David53 wrote:Congrats on the car - looks superb. I notice you have the very rare glovebox clock. Is this an original or a modern reproduction?
Thanks,

I managed to get a genuine one from ebay (£120), it is a bit rusty on the back and is not working yet, but at least I didn't pay over £400 like some of them cost!

Steve B

surbitonflyer

Post by surbitonflyer »

Hi there, is the car still for sale, I am extremely interested, is is exactly what I am looking for.
Regards
Michael
Birchall
Minor Friendly

Post by Birchall »

surbitonflyer wrote:Hi there, is the car still for sale, I am extremely interested, is is exactly what I am looking for.
Regards
Michael

Hi,

Yes it is still for sale, PM sent.

Thanks
Steve B