Splitscreen Traveller

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidpidge
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Splitscreen Traveller

Post by davidpidge »

So many bushes. Where do they all go?!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

We moved the car from it's first location on my Dad's drive, (I'm sure he'll miss the car. :-? ) to it's new home in a heated garage. Luxury! Hopefully it'll dry out. It was restored in '98 but then severely neglected at some point and left outside to rot before we got hold of it.

The wheel arches are in good order but the timber was totally gone. I was hoping to use the old frame to make drawings for new one's but none of it was any use for that!
[frame]Image[/frame]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

A splitscreen traveller shouldnt have the Minor 1000 badge on the back door, but if your veneering them it will be hidden anyway.

Too many Minors so little time.....
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

that's interesting. I didn't actually think of that when I removed them. what badge should it have on the rear door? The bonnet badge is correct I think. I'm sure it doesn't say Morris1000.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

The back was plain, no badge at all until the 1000 arrived. The bonnet badges should be MORRIS MINOR all in capitials.

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

I'm glad you told me before I punched holes in the new veneer! If we meet at the national I'll make sure to buy you a drink. The bonnet badge is correct. The back will be nice and clean then. Lovely.

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Another photo of the rear. The T-bar will have the two panels (left and right) removed and new one's welded on. amazing how much heavier the new panels are! The T-bar will then be painted black, (as it originally would have been?)

[frame]Image[/frame]

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

This is how the American's do Travellers. I'm not a fan of the contrasting colours between the frame and the panels but it looks good with all the other American touches. Does this also have a bare, ally roof?[frame]Image[/frame]

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Hopefully ours will look something like this. Except with more....patina.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

davidpidge wrote:This is how the American's do Travellers. I'm not a fan of the contrasting colours between the frame and the panels but it looks good with all the other American touches. Does this also have a bare, ally roof?[frame]Image[/frame]
neat looking traveller

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Progress. The rear brakes have been rebuilt with nearly all parts replaced. The petrol tank was put back in. Oil changed, sump cleaned out, filters changed etc etc and of course it started first time and ran sweet as. Sadly the petrol tank then leaked all night. Seems to have lots of tiny holes in the bottom! New one needed. Anyone have a good used one laying about?

I'll be starting the treatment on the wood in a couple of weeks. Also going to fit the veneered panels to the rear and then start fitting all the wood, roof and rear doors.

Going to make new boot floor ply panels. Got to take the later indicator/side light unit off and fill the hole to fit original smaller sidelights. Going to be getting 2nd hand trafficators and sort all the wiring out for them.

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

I laid the rear panels out on a 8'x4' sheet of ash veneer. Ideally I would of liked to have the grain continuing along the side of the car but it would have wasted too much veneer and the grain isnt really strong enough to show the change between panels anyway so I went the economical route. I only just managed to get all the panels cut out of one sheet. I drew round them and then added about 10mm to trim off after the veneer is applied to the panel.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The grain will show up better with some stain or varnish on it.
I'd have pointed both panels inwards facing each other but they will look good however they are done.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Chris has been working on the newly aquired SF34 trafficators. They work which is a good start. They fit well. We were expecting them to stick out as the mechanism is slightly deeper on the old semaphores but they look fine.

[frame]Image[/frame]

Am I right in thinking they DO NOT need to flash? I don't remember my old one's flashing. Would it be a good idea if they did? They might be more visible that way.

In other news, the brakes work, the fuel tank is in so it's running and driving under it's own steam! It's not running on steam.....that's just an expression.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I'd think that flashing trafficators would be much more visible, yeah. Humans (like most animals with visual processing) are very very good at noticing moving/changing things and very very good at ignoring things that do not move or change. But I've no idea if they originally flashed.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

No they dont need to flash, its bad for them to flash anyway. If the flasher unit is wired into the system it will make them flash but its cases them to want to drop and go up again quickly - if thats makes sense to you! I used to have mine wired with one flasher unit and when the battery was low the semaphore would only come up about half way. I now have the 2 flasher unit system, one for each side so the semaphore gets contonious power while the indicators flash.

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

I think we'll just leave it as standard. No messing around. Just need to mount the switch on something now.

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Like a glove! Just need to get that duct tape residue off. Some minor modification was needed on the mounting bracket but an easy fit otherwise.

[frame]Image[/frame]

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

O/S Working off the switch. Might not seem like a big deal to most but we're blown away by working electrics that Chris has done all by himself! Spot the missing part of the car. The bit I'm meant to be doing of course!

[frame]Image[/frame]

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

I think having flashing lamps is a good idea, but flashing 'trafficator' mechanism is not brilliant, they'll be more likely to wear/jam.