Recreating Beatrice

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Recreating Beatrice

Post by Fingolfin »

I think you're probably right, George -- Mog has been big on the noise, and it's made me less inclined to drive. :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

George Smathers
Minor Fan

Post by George Smathers »

Under her own power!

George[frame]Image[/frame]
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

That's a huge grin you've got there George!

Not long now until she's back on the road.
Gabriel
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Thanks Gabriel. Yes, it was a great day! I always worry I'm doing something wrong so when it goes well I'm surprised.

George
George Smathers
Minor Fan

The mechanicals all seem to be in order and I am almost done with the wiring. I also got the radiator recored and I welded in a muffler so I have been able to drive it down my lane.

The engine is a 1275 with APT stage 2 pocket ported head, AE 8.8:1 pistons/rings, 1.75 LCB header, HIF44 1.75" carb, and an APT 276 performance cam. Not quite what my parents had but I couldn't resist. I wanted a milder 266 cam but there was miscommunication with the builder. The flywheel is not lightened so it idles well.

I wasn't able to find an electronic SU fuel pump so I used a pusher model for a Mini and I mounted it in the rear. Crankcase pressure is also high in this engine and I was getting oil dripping out the rear. I installed a catch can which is connected to the timing chain cover and this traps excess oil and also vents pressure to the atmosphere. The can has a drain which I can periodically empty. A vented oil cap also helps. I didn't use any sort of PCV system but I will if this doesn't work.

Now I need to start installing wings, bonnet, interior, etc.

George[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
EBURTON
Minor Friendly

Post by EBURTON »

Hi George
Best of luck with the rest of the restoration looks very well..[frame]Image[/frame][img]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Looking good! :D
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

I wish my 1300 motor looked as good as that. Make sure your gearbox stay is tight as the 1300's are a bit longer at the water pump area and can create a fan V radiator problem. I fitted an electric fan on the front of the radiator as I just could not see enough room if the motor moved.

I hope there is enough room for the fuel pump at the back. I imagine the hump is there to give the shock absorber (damper to you) some room in case of the suspension bottoming out.

A lovely car

Allan
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Allan, you are correct about the radiator and I will definitely recheck the gearbox stay. I had to add about 1/2" of washers to the radiator support to get more clearance. I don't have the bonnet or front wings on so I'm hoping everything lines up. It probably won't so maybe I'll need an electric fan.

I just went out and looked at the fuel pump. I think I am OK with suspension movement; I always thought that dimple was there for the exhaust to curve over the axle. My exhaust is on the other side.

George
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

Of course. The hump would be for the exhaust. Couldn't see how the shockers could need a hump. How come your exhaust is on the other side.
George Smathers
Minor Fan

The exhaust is on the left (car's perspective) side, the pump is on the right.
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Boy, I am always amazed how much time it takes to do the simplest tasks. I just spent six hours doing little jobs; mainly wiring the front wings for headlamps and turn signals. I'm not complaining - it was a very enjoyable day - but a restoration sure sucks up the hours. I can see why paying someone to do this would be crazy expensive.

George
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Now that Spring is almost here I'm back in gear and getting down to the small things. I'm starting to run into problems with inferior replacement parts. I've tried to replace almost all small wearable part on the car but this strategy has its flaws if new is worse than 50 year old.

I lost about four frustrating hours over an inferior headlamp switch. The switch worked when I installed it a few months ago so when the lights stopped working I checked EVERYTHING.

Today it was the turn of my new speedometer cable. You can see where the tip of the new cable broke off inside the gearbox. In the picture you can see the broken section next to my intact old cable. I installed the old cable but ran out of daylight before I could test if it was turning.

George

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Sorry for the lack of posting. I was too hasty in blaming the quality of new speedometer cables. I reinstalled my old one and it snapped too. The problem was the NOS speedometer I bought. It was seized. I sent it in for a cleaning and recalibration (my 3.9 diff) and now all is well.[frame]Image[/frame]
George Smathers
Minor Fan

I think I am pretty much done (for now!). The seats, glove box door, and windshield wipers give it away that it is not a 1958 but other than that it is pretty close. I took these picture to show all of you the finished product.

George[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Excellent job, George. You have a great car there - well done ;-)

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Looks really, really good. As a matter of interest, do you think the Dynamat overdose paid off?

Mark
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Thanks Bruce and Mark!

Did the Dynamat pay off? Well, I did finally pay off my Visa...

Actually I think it was worth it. The car sounds much more solid and the shell no longer resonates like a taut guitar. I still have engine noise but I think it's due to my headers and air cleaner. The old cast iron manifold was simply better at muffling sound.

I took the car to the town's annual British car show and it was quite a hit. Morris' are rare in the States so although there were 10 classes I was an orphan and wound up in "Other Saloons". The only other car in my class was a 1948 Bentley. A Morris against a Bentley!

George
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks George. Soundproofing probably won't be as effective on a Traveller, but I'll start saving now (I'm at least a year off starting the interior....)

Mark
George Smathers
Minor Fan

Just found out...[frame]Image[/frame]