Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nam
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Paaro - Morris Minor 1000 1957 4 door restoration

Post by nam »

First coat of Primer is on and it's looking good, just one more door at the front to take off once I can get the right whitworth 1/4 spanner to remove it, else time for more grinding![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
1957 Morris Minor 1000. 4 door saloon restoration back on!
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

nam wrote:[frame]Image[/frame]
Clean back the area to shiny metal to get a cleaner/neater/stronger weld. this will not be strong at all, and you're making your life so much harder by not cleaning the area up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Matt Tomkins wrote:
nam wrote:[frame]Image[/frame]
Clean back the area to shiny metal to get a cleaner/neater/stronger weld. this will not be strong at all, and you're making your life so much harder by not cleaning the area up.
Totally agree, they were not as strong as did grind down as you said to get a strong weld. I was working alone and first time proper welding so a rookie mistake. :wink:

This has now been fixed, that was just an old pic :)
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

I'm ready to carry on with the sealing in so can I have some quick advice on the following products. Am I buying the right stuff?

I have primered my areas and seam sealed the welded bits.

Planning to use this to get rid of the rusty old parts I can see

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-50928 ... =undefined

Then planning to spray all over with this stone shield

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-50928 ... B002HMW1ME

Then apply this to all the areas underneath the car, floor inside etc all the parts that will be hidden. Not use it on the sills as they will have been stone shield painted and painted over with a colour?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-50929 ... 7PKZ6ZE9CC
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Well managed to get the brake pedal that was stuck fast, released. Think the Master cylinder was totally siezed including the push rod. I coudln't unscrew it so I ended up cutting the brake pedal return spring, pulling out the split pin and removing the yoke. Had to cut the rear brake pipe as well. Good thing i'm getting all new pipes and cylinder.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Finally after lot's of hacking away at metal and generally getting anry I managed to take both the rear wings off the back so I get good access to the spring hangers. Started figuring out how they line up with the new panels i've got.

Next to work out how to start doing the hangers. Think removing the axle is involved... and maybe will need to get some thicker steel sheets. I think I have 1.2mm at the moment.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Went to have a close look at the front spring hanger area as I couldn't match mine to pictures I had seen of spring hangers. Then realised that the hangers have actually collapsed and gone under the seat area! Whoops.

So is there a part for the spring hanger area as I got the one's on a plate but it's not big enough. I think I will be getting some of the sheet metal and cut a large shape out for both sides. Then weld the front spring hanger bracket to this.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Good progress. Looks alot of rust. But keep doing abit at a time. You'll soon get there!

Steve
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Thanks Steve, yes one step at a time works!

So over the weekend my brother came round and after 5 hours of squabbling around we got the engine out. But we had welded the old tunnel cover down in some parts and so guess what will now have to take that off again to get access to the bolts holding the gearbox in. Then car is ready to be flipped on it's side on some old tyres.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Oh ideal im just getting mine ready for tip over onto old tyres aswell. Shame that gearbox tunnel turned into a problem so quickly. Maybe cut it out abit smaller and remount it differently? Tho im happy to have the access to the chassis legs. Really looking forward to seeing your progress.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

greendefender123 wrote:Oh ideal im just getting mine ready for tip over onto old tyres aswell. Shame that gearbox tunnel turned into a problem so quickly. Maybe cut it out abit smaller and remount it differently? Tho im happy to have the access to the chassis legs. Really looking forward to seeing your progress.
Let's see who tips first!

Well I think I will remove the front wings as well, and remove the gearbox tunnel cover and either try to repair it with some welded plate to match the original of just get another one. As for tipping are you leaving your tyres on and let it rest on the tyres? I think I only need to support it on the top middle section. Or I might put down two typres against the car tyres so lift it off the ground and then a few tyres at the top.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Umm i was gonna jack it up and place some old wheels and tyres next to the wheels so they tip onto it. Then support at the back of the front door. Never done it before tho! Think you might beat me as iv only just ordered the sills i want to get in place first.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

Sounds about the same I am thinking so that's good then. Yes hope it have it tipped in the next week or so.
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Post by mad-4-moggywhite-1 »

Hi greendefender123

Just so you know the saying 'teaching your grannie to suck eggs' is reference to the time when old ladies (grannies) used to give painted eggs as gifts at Easter. They used to make two holes in the top of the egg and suck out it's contents most probably not then consuming them maybe spitting them into a bucket :o (sorry!) in order to dispose of them and so prevent the egg from smelling foul and then they would paint it. So no point teaching your grannie to suck eggs because she will most probably already know.
Therefore if you feel you may be about to say something to someone who you may realise is already quite knowledgable in that particular area then that is what you say by way of an apology so as not to presume to offend them. Got it? :)

Rogerowen is that product you mentioned really called 'Start you b******? that made me laugh so much!
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Post by mad-4-moggywhite-1 »

PS Good luck with your projects! I'm going to follow your progress to see if I can learn some technical jargon along the way then at least I can sound as though I know what I'm talking about :o :lol:
greendefender123
Minor Addict

mad-4-moggywhite-1 wrote:Hi greendefender123

Just so you know the saying 'teaching your grannie to suck eggs' is reference to the time when old ladies (grannies) used to give painted eggs as gifts at Easter. They used to make two holes in the top of the egg and suck out it's contents most probably not then consuming them maybe spitting them into a bucket :o (sorry!) in order to dispose of them and so prevent the egg from smelling foul and then they would paint it. So no point teaching your grannie to suck eggs because she will most probably already know.
Therefore if you feel you may be about to say something to someone who you may realise is already quite knowledgable in that particular area then that is what you say by way of an apology so as not to presume to offend them. Got it? :)

Rogerowen is that product you mentioned really called 'Start you b******? that made me laugh so much!
Well sorry if i offended anyone. I said im new to morris minors. I said iv never tipped one before, but said how i was planning on tipping mine. I havent restored a car since iv had a stroke and struggle enough with day to day things and just tinker were i can. I only posted on this thread to get to know people. I nice having a almost chat with someone whilst im resting between doing jobs. Id never tell someone how to do it on a morris minor cause iv never owned or rebuilt one before. Maybe im just abit confused with your reply but i only wanted to talk with someone about their car whos at roughly the point that im at.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

greendefender123 wrote:
mad-4-moggywhite-1 wrote:Hi greendefender123

Well sorry if i offended anyone. I said im new to morris minors. I said iv never tipped one before, but said how i was planning on tipping mine. I havent restored a car since iv had a stroke and struggle enough with day to day things and just tinker were i can. I only posted on this thread to get to know people. I nice having a almost chat with someone whilst im resting between doing jobs. Id never tell someone how to do it on a morris minor cause iv never owned or rebuilt one before. Maybe im just abit confused with your reply but i only wanted to talk with someone about their car whos at roughly the point that im at.
greendefender123 I don't think you have offended anyone what so ever! In fact you have provided me with further encouragement to keep going and I hope that goes in your way too. I am totally new to Morris Minors too, learning as I go and getting advice from people like yourself on this forum. I think your doing great to keep going after a stroke, keep on tinkering!
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

I can't pretend to understand how this thread has gone in this direction - has something been deleted? Anyway, although this is Nam's thread, can I aim a bit of advice at Greendefender, since the subject of tipping came up on here? I've never tipped a car (made a rollover jig from scaffold tube and builders trestles for mine), but I'd be even more careful with a Traveller. The back end without the wood is quite weak and easy to misalign, so you will need to brace it strongly to the cab. I've had to straighten mine with props and jacks, to correct a twist built in during an earlier owner's restoration. The rear axle assembly is heavy, so could put a lot of stress on the shell during tipping if it isn't removed.

Mark
greendefender123
Minor Addict

No post have been removed. Thats interesting then, il have to have a rethink. I might not be as luck as some. Surprised how alot of these frames made dont twist the body. Anyway dont wanna highjack a thread. Thanks.
nam
Minor Fan

Post by nam »

It's ok, a little high jacking can reveal other things... like should I be worried about my saloon frame twisting? I'm planning on leaving the axle on although a new floor has been welded in and the rest seems fairly solid.

In the picture imagine the doors gone, no bonnet, boot, tank, engine, gearbox. Then rested on it's side with tyres underneath.[frame]Image[/frame]