My Morris Traveller 56' (Full Steel Body)(URUGUAY)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
camiloromano
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

My Morris Traveller 56' (Full Steel Body)(URUGUAY)

Post by camiloromano »

It was mid april when I was looking for my first car to buy when I see this Morris Minor without engine two blocks from my home and I really knew I wanted it , it was cheap and waiting for someone to revive her. The last owner didn't pay her many attention for 2 years but she still in good shape without rust, it was perfect I was sure that I wanted to have her as my first car , I knew they were easy to drive and for how it looks I fell in love with it instantly.
This is how it looked first of all when I found her, maybe it's the only traveller with full steel chasis , I live in Uruguay (south america) and they were a little number of them running here , the fact is that when they arrive to the port they were disarmed and built by an uruguayan company called "Paris-Niza" that built them in fullsteel chasis because wood wasn't common here and people didn't want to maintain it.
This is how it looked from 0km

When I first talked with the owner he said that the engine was being rebuilt but he hasn't money to pay it , it was perfect for me cause my dad is a car mechanic and his workshop is in home so I nearly grew in it. We bought it and we get the engine from the other mechanic , this is how it looked.

We started rebuilding it
Also i was about to paint it
Working on brakes
Now she's looking like this , but there still remains some details that i'm working on

Thank you for seeing it , i'll keep you informed on what i'm doing! bless.
GBond
Minor Fan

Re: My Morris Traveller 56' (Full Steel Body)(URUGUAY)

Post by GBond »

Very interesting vehicle!

It appears to be based either on a 4 door or a van/pickup judging by the length of the doors but perhaps someone will know based on the chassis number.

¡Felicidades!
Gabriel
janstolp
Minor Friendly

Post by janstolp »

Amazing car,glad to see she has found a good home.
Regards Jan
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

I would say it started as a cab/chassis. No mention or photos of the rear floor to show saloon pressing or LCV frame. These had been kept secret. There is no mention of it in the books I've read. There needs to be an amendment to "The Companion," the recent book on travelers.
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

Camiloromano

Well done, this is a great find

I haven't seen a Traveller like this before keep up the good work, I am looking forward to seeing your work progress

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

OGH = LCV Chassis Cab.in primer finish

Any chance of the cab number please?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

jaekl wrote:I would say it started as a cab/chassis. No mention or photos of the rear floor to show saloon pressing or LCV frame. These had been kept secret. There is no mention of it in the books I've read. There needs to be an amendment to "The Companion," the recent book on travelers.
You and Chris are right, cab/chassis would make more sense. Maybe this means somewhere in Uruguay there's an old shed full of NOS cab backs?
Gabriel
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

They did have a version without the cab panel. Is that a window crank for the rear window directly behind the doors?
janstolp
Minor Friendly

Post by janstolp »

From;
Morris Minor Exploring the legend.
By Jon Pressnell
Regards
Jan
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

I found a photo of another Uruguay product, http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mor ... dIndex=285 Same rear fender line, but looks like there is a boot. Most likely an import duties issue.
Dave minor fan
Minor Friendly

Post by Dave minor fan »

fantastic, this old mark still throws up surprises, never seen one of those before, great project, I imagine morris minors are quite rare in your neck of the woods, but this will be unique. Looking forward to following this thread and seeing her on the road.
camiloromano
Minor Friendly

Post by camiloromano »

Thanks to everyone , This is the original cab/chasis but instead of wood , Paris-Niza built it with steel , i have made a hard search for another one in my country but it seems that this model doesn't exist haha... Now i'm building the original gearbox cause i was running it with a peugeot gearbox and it broke last week! cheers
camiloromano
Minor Friendly

Post by camiloromano »

[UPDATE] Now i assembled the original gearbox and she's on the road again!

This is an old 50's uruguayan coin that fitted perfectly!

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Cab number please?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Really interesting car, the old coin looks like Abraham Lincoln with a beard trim!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
camiloromano
Minor Friendly

UPDATE My Morris Traveller 56' (Full Steel Body)(URUGUAY)

Post by camiloromano »

it's been a while since i don't post anything , i've been working a lot since then , I bought imperial green paint for a classic look , i've found somewhere a color card were it said this color was original to my model, i don't know if you can see the photos posted years ago because i can't, now i'm working on the metal sheets , i had trouble with the gearbox , i've found a 948 box in a junkyard pretty close to my shop which got stuck in 1st gear but now appears to be working, also the water pump got broken and i found out that i'm running a 803cc engine which wouldn't fit any other water pump so I refurbished it and now it works well, another thing that happened is that i changed the pistons and re-sleeved the block to std , it was 0,3. Well , at last, mi dad had a crash inside the shop so i have more metal work to do, no problem at all, it's been a fun proyect and i've driven it more miles than i can count.
camiloromano
Minor Friendly

Post by camiloromano »

camiloromano
Minor Friendly

Post by camiloromano »

It's been a while since I don't log in, I can't see all the pictures I uploaded about the build, it went through various changes since my first post, I'll try to find all those pictures to show you.

This is how I found it first place (2013), two blocks away from my shop. The engine was disassembled then.

That same year I painted it black. (That had nothing to do with the rolling stones haha)

In 2014 I went through a rust free stage. (By then I had broken 3 or 4 gearboxes and I tell you, here there are few minors which made the task of finding replacements very hazardous, plus everybody confuses minors with oxfords that resulted in a incredible waste of time).

And that finally resulted on Imperial Green paintjob and this is how it still looks, after all these years I decided to switch to a gm gearbox which I'm currently working on.