Introducing Kevin - the 1956 two door from New Zealand

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
muhnkee_2
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Introducing Kevin - the 1956 two door from New Zealand

Post by muhnkee_2 »

Hey folks,
Way back in 1989 in Dunedin, New Zealand my late grandfather bought a 1956 2 door to start restoring it, sadly he died before he finished the car. The car is 1954 2 door - registered in October 1956 - perhaps its almost one of the last of the split screens, But the car has had a later 1098cc engine fitted at some time.
I was given the car by my grandmother because as a kid i enjoyed hanging out with my grandpa and helping/getting in his way. But as I had already left New Zealand and was living in Australia then UK, Brazil and the UK again not much happened with the car for nearly 20 years as it was moved around various storage yards in my home town Nelson.
Fast forward to 2012 and my wife and I had finally settled down in London so i got the body restored and repainted back in NZ, then shipped over to London.
So here it is as she stands now, sitting on my driveway. The body is perfect, but the rest of the car is definitely a work in progress!
First jobs are:
fit new stainless exhaust,
fit wipers,
fix lights,
fit indicators/hazards,
install new front and rear seatbelts
buy a jack and spare tyre!
I look forward to sharing and learning with the other members of the forum.
Greg
West London
Last edited by muhnkee_2 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Introducing Morri - the 1954 two door from New Zealand

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Your minor is looking very smart, I bet you cant wait to start driving and and enjoying it :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
muhnkee_2
Minor Friendly

Post by muhnkee_2 »

the interior is currently bare - so as my mum would say, its all hair oil no socks!
but thats my summer challenge
Kevin the globe trotting 1956 two door

mpw83
Minor Friendly

Post by mpw83 »

thats one nice looking splitscreen :-) it seems there`s a few coming out of the woodwork, so to speak, recently.... mine, stevey`s and now yours too. not that its a bad thing of course :D

is it just me, or does the grille/ grille surround look rather fetching being a darker colour? I like it!!!! :D
Pepper - 1955 Morris Minor 4-door splitscreen saloon
diagonsed as Type 1 diabetic, 19th May 1994
muhnkee_2
Minor Friendly

Re: Introducing Kevin - the 1956 two door from New Zealand

Post by muhnkee_2 »

Hey folks,
Just a note to say thanks to all on the forum for their help and advice, today after 30 odd years off the road, i am happy to say i drove Kevin 12 miles to work, and we both made it safely!
Here he is parked up in my work car park...
[frame]Image[/frame]
Since he arrived in England, i have completed the following tasks:
Renamed him!
Fitted new stainless exhaust
Fitted external indicators
Replaced brake swtich
Rebuilt front and rear brakes and handbrake
Fitted new wiring loom
Replaced all the light fittings
Replaced various missing screws and bolts, washers, grommets, seals and bits and pieces
Fitted new wipers
Fitted external mirrors (that i am not happy with)
Fixed 90% of the leaks
Changed the polarity
Fitted new plates
I ended up getting some help on the wiring and bleeding the brakes - just not enough free time in my weekends!
So he runs pretty well, he was happy up to 50mph which is fine for my drive to work. He idles and runs fine, but his idle seems to be different if i have the clutch in (any ideas)?
I am now learning to drive an old timer, its a different experience to my other car (a bmw 535d), so i am taking this nice and slow, but it was an amazing day - one i know my grandad would have been very happy to have seen.
Next challenge is to fix the last leak and fit carpets, then get seat belts fitted in the rear and enjoy driving her over summer.
Thanks to everyone on the forum for the wisdom and advice.
Kevin the globe trotting 1956 two door

gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by gtt1951 »

A very lovely looking car - is it Clarendon Grey?
If so, it could do with a red coach-line painting back in, to bring it fully back.
I've just bought a 4-door version, on June 9th, in this colour (1955 year), but with the 803 engine and gearbox.
If you are parking it outside your house, I would suggest getting a Barracuda Wheel clamp device (or similar), given the recent spate of missing moggies (in addition to any other security devices).
Best regards, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Forgive me, I cannot percieve anyone wanting to leave NZL to go and live in London and I imagine you in the traffic barely able to get out of first gear to get to work..............but these are my prejudices.

but Kevin looks superb. The leaks you mention - are these oil leaks or due to rainwater? The different sound once the clutch is depressed is normal as well as the perhaps slight drop in revs.

Enjoy it!
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]