1949 MM. The time has come (The Walrus said)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Redmoggy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

1949 MM. The time has come (The Walrus said)

Post by Redmoggy »

Been in the shed now for a while. Time to have a little butchers and see what $500 (250 quid) can buy you. So I decided to pull the sheet metal of the front and whip of the sill finishers and door step covers. First thing I noticed was that all the original hardware is intact right down to the internal tooth washers on the sill finishers. Everything also came undone with no problems, exept for the Hockey stick studs that sheered off.

To my mind, this much uncovers the real common problem areas on any Minor.

Here's a few pictures

So far I think the most complicated repair will be fabricating a new battery tray.

All in all quite a tidy car and very original.

Rod
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1949 MM. The time has come (The Walrus said)

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Nothing to scary looking there, keep us posted on progress!

Too many Minors so little time.....
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

I see the battery tray is without the hole?
When they start with the hole in it?
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

The Rotodip system was introduced (i think) towards the end of 49. This required the hole in the battery tray for the scewer to fit through.

I have more dissmantling to do and a few tools to buy, then I'll get stuck into some fabrication. The rules over here are a little more strick than the UK, repairs to the body shell will need to be certified as I go. Having seen the standard of some so called MOT welding, I recon it's a great idea.

Rod
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Spent some time stripping the shell. Still suprised how good it is. All the panels are off and the glass out. Be looking to pull the mechanicals next and then get into some blasting.

Anyone recognise this?

Cheers
Rod
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Throttle pedal cover!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Thank you Neil.

Rod
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Wow she looks really solid! A great project, looking forward to more photos as you go! :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

My initial thought when I went to check it out was that it would be knackered. I figured on slinging a chassis and small block chev under it. I took enough tools to remove the sills and cover plates and was pleasantly suprised. After realizing just how original it is I decided it would be a shame to cut up.

Anyway spent the weekend stripping the rest of the dash and pulling out the loom and electrics. Then decided to strip some paint. I wanted to get the roof and front and rear scuttles stripped but with 10 coats of paint I only got the front scuttle and half the roof done. Even with 40 grit on an orbital sander it was hard going.

Guess I will be back at it next weekend!

Rod
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Looks a great project :D
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Pulled the loom out today, followed by the brake pipes and fuel line. Then wrapped a strap around the motor and pulled the engine and box. By heck they are deceiving little motor, nearly broke me back! Found a really nasty old repair to the left eye bolt mounting that has caused the lower suspension arm to rub the tie plate and the usual bent front crossmember from some muppet jacking the car on it.

and the battery tray is a bit ugly

Rod
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Not so much going on with this. The arrival of a baby boy has somewhat removed my spare time and cash. However I'm almost done with removing the paint from the main body and etch priming. Once this is complete I will get the steam cleaner out and get some blasting done ready for welding.

Rod
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Found an interesting accident repair to the left rear boot corner.

The interesting part, for me at least, is that the lower corner below the fuel filler hole was pushed in. Instead of pulling out the damage the repairer chose to knock out the wing mounting flange from inside to support a generous skim of body filler. The rest of the damage was left untouched.

Some proper panel beating and a new floor section should see it as it was intended.

Rod
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

well diagnosed on the accident damage, congratulations on having a baby, we'll quite understand if you're spending resto time changing nappies instead of wheels. Enjoy those early days with your child, they don't last forever, they grow up so fast.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]