1960 4 Door Saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
boody227
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1960 4 Door Saloon

Post by boody227 »

Quick Update. Wings will now be bolted on. Just spoken with the welder and the car only requires boot floor welding and front crossmember, Not much left :D
Cheers Luke
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Good on you Luke!

You got a bit of a rough ride there!

Look forward to some more photos...
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Should see the car soon, will get plenty of photos. Its been a long time coming and a heck of a lot of work but at last its pretty much welded. Might aswell be brand new from the windows down!
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Well at long last the Morris is back in my Garage. Due to the welders excessive workload, he simply hasnt had the time to work on my car. After a long year it has come back looking splendid.
I can now concentrate on grinding, painting and undersealing the chassis. Once this is complete, i can then set about rebushing the rear suspension and replacing the front suspension legs and bushes along with new trackrod ends.
Here are a few photos:
Many Thanks. Luke
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Great news!

Looking forward to the rest of the restoration!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Your not the only one looking forward to it!
Today is being spent grinding the welds and tidying the underneath up. A few small welding jobs required to smarten it up completely.
I've got both front innerwings cleaned up ready for primer. Will post photos tonight.
Hopefully within a few weeks the underneath should be painted and undersealed. Then I can concentrate on filling and sanding the shell.
I can see the new wings taking some time to fettle and work to get them a good fit.
Luke
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

I was looking at an old thread on wing alignment only last night - you might find it useful

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... nt#p331817

Did your welder fit captive nuts for the bottom of the front wing in the flitch repair? Can't see them on the photo, but I'm viewing on a small screen.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It looks as if you've got a lot still to do. Good luck with it. As you say, there's a fair bit of work to do getting the wings to line up - particularly if you've chosen the pattern wings. Frankly, the Heritage ones also require work but at least the steel is thicker and a better quality. Very much a case of you get what you pay for.
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Cheers for the link. Unfortunately no there hasn't been captive nuts put on. This will be sorted by the welder when it comes to fitting the wings.
Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Couple of photos of the inner wings.
Cheers, Luke
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So what colour are you going for then? You must be thinking about it.......
I see the dash looks to be black, so I take it she was that originally, but most of the outer panels were Trafalgar Blue, though some of the replacements were White.................
However with so much new metal and the car completely stripped the choice is yours..............
Black looks smart. Maroon B is a nice deep shade of red. There are several Blues, Greens or Greys you could choose from.............
You could go for the opposite and choose a shade of White but you'll always be washing her! So Brown then..... mmm..............
Then there was Highway Yellow............ or Lime(flower??) - very individual - the 'Marmite' of car colour choices (the wife will either love you or demand you sell it!! :lol: )
The choice is yours..............
But everyone will have an opinion!! :lol:
Good luck and best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

well i am looking at appropriate colours of the year built so ive narrowed it down to smoke grey or clipper blue with appropriate interior and the appropriate wheel, grill and coachline colours.
Those are the best of the choice i believe.
Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Well its been a while since I posted, and due to work commitments, I have only manged a couple of days each month so far this year.
Time for an update.
Half of the underside is in zinc primer now. Photos soon when it's dry and I feel like crawling underneath again!! Haha.
Started to build up the new suspension legs and trunnion. Drivers side is fitted with new tie bar and track rod end. Move onto passenger side in the near future.
Will try and get photos soon. Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Hi all, here are a few photos of the suspension leg assembly and a bit of undercoating.
I'm glad I've got that leg on! what a stressful time! I found out the NOS Top Trunion taper which enters the damper arm wasn't machined.....so a big struggle getting it all inline until I realised. Back off it came and replaced with another correct NOS pin.
Hope your all enjoying my restoration so far, it is vague and there are some big lengths of time between working on the car. But as usual, work overtakes pleasure.
Next on the list is:-
Complete the undercoat on the underneath then stone chip.
Get the passenger side suspension replaced.
Paint Rear axle/Diff and replace rear suspension bushes and rear Brake replacement.
Replace fuel lines and brake pipes including master cylinder overhaul.
Doors and Wings fitted and fill body.
Paint hopefully getting completed by August.
And the big announcement- Paint will be Clipper Blue!!
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

hi all, progress is slow at the moment although i have managed to get some more painting done underneath. I'm currently having a break painting the underneath, too much at once is a killer on the neck!
Anyway, onto the progress:
I've got 3 wings on to shape/tweak them to a good alignment. I've hung the doors on to allow me to check door gaps, these are almost accurate but the drivers door is hanging low due to rust on the door where the hinge sits. This is causing some flex, hence the clamp to give some support.
I'm looking for a new drivers door but I shall be welding the door bottoms on the other 3 doors.
So, on with the show,
ImageImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

What paint have you done the undercoat with ?
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

It's zinc primer grey. It's been painted on the wing underside to protect it. The black is just the standard paint the wing was supplied in. It will all be sanded and an even undercoat sprayed before final paint.
Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Hi all, Sorry about the lack of updates.
Well I certainly have cracked on since my last post, With all doors and wings lined up and the front wings bolted on permanently.
I have also finished the suspension front and rear and have fitted a new master cylinder and pipework to rear.
Paint prep has taken most of this year to do with my limited time to work on the moggy, although I now have started the painting and got the first few top coats on the shell and the doors and bonnet ect.. all primed. Ive gone for Maroon B. I saw many maroon cars at the NEC Last year and fell in love.
Once ive finishing the spraying ill get the front brake pipes on and then the engine in and wiring.
Ill hopefully get some photos up on here later this week.
Thanks all and I look forward to showing you the progress ive made, Its almost a car again!
Only took 3 years...... :D
Luke
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Re the post earlier regarding your seats being out of a Series II They re not ! They are absolutely correct for the car and were used on and off between October 56 and late 1960 before other styles and duotone took over.They are very like Series II but the bucket shape is not as deep. Like Series II they fold. They are very comfortable. They were seen on some minors with white piping, the door cards had white piping too but again that varied.

If by any chance you are not going to use them .......
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

I shall be using them still and I'll be hopefully doing some seat cover sewing and trying to get a good vinyl reproduction. Hopefully much cheaper than proper vinyl covers.
Although probably won't be as good... but at least they will be well presentable. Going to recover the door cards and other vinyl covered panels too with a similar vinyl that looks period.
Cheers
Luke