1960 4 Door Saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
boody227
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1960 4 Door Saloon

Post by boody227 »

Cheers, The photos really don't do it justice! :D
Luke
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

That hinge is quite amazing, considering what you started with. I wouldn't have thought it recoverable. I can see this inspiring others to have a go, rather than just replace! Now where did I put my old hinges.....................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

It did take a lot of time, but considering the price for a set of hinges new, then I'd rather spend an evening or too doing these.
Cheers, Luke
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Another point is that you cannot actually GET the correct boot hinges for that age of Minor (the later hinges and all replacements are a different profile) so restoring the originals will give the finished car a MUCH more authentic look :)
I much prefer to save as many original parts as possible and have seen many "restored" cars spoiled by the fitting of too many new but incorrect items.
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

quite right too :D

robby
Minor Friendly

Post by robby »

boody227 wrote:Here is the Bonnet Hinge, Before and After Picture, Lots of very oily wet and dry, then car paintwork scratch remover/compound. A dab of Brasso and they're like new!
Obviously not finished completely, but its a good start!
Luke

That is chuffing brilliant, well done that man :D

jagnut66 wrote:That hinge is quite amazing, considering what you started with. I wouldn't have thought it recoverable. I can see this inspiring others to have a go, rather than just replace! Now where did I put my old hinges.....................
Best wishes,
Mike.
Thinking exactly the same ;)
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Cheers, most of the welding is complete now. Will upload photos when I next look at the car
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Another update, Well awaited too! around 80% of welding work is complete after the fitting of the centre crossmember, Not much left now!! hopefully Ill have the car back soon and get it built back up for paint!
Cheers, Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Hi all, car is pretty much complete welding wise with only the doors and some small work on chassis legs to weld, all being well I should have the morris back in the next few weeks. I shall update you all when i get the car with plenty of photos. I should be able to crack on with new bushes and brakes then.
Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Well, the time has come to update. Unfortunately welding fell behind schedule due to the welders other commitments. But at last progress is almost finished. Just taking the last bits and bobs and bonnet/ and 4 new pattern wings ready for alignment. Hopefully have the morris back soon!!!
Cheers. Luke
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Went to see the car yesterday. Most of chassis work completed. Rear spring hangers and c posts welded. Next couple of weeks should see the wings on. I've gone for the option of having the wings welded on to get a very good alignment.
Cheers, Luke
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

boody227 wrote:Went to see the car yesterday. Most of chassis work completed. Rear spring hangers and c posts welded. Next couple of weeks should see the wings on. I've gone for the option of having the wings welded on to get a very good alignment.
Cheers, Luke
Sounds like a bit of wool pulling going on there! Someone will have to undo that mess at some point down the line!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

I can assure you, he knows what he is doing and it will be far from a mess when they are welded.
Everything can still be accessed with the wheels off so there will never be a need to take the wings off again. Especially as almost all the metal is brand new and will be thoroughly coating in etch primer, chassis black and underseal.
Luke
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Ok fair point. But why the need to weld them? All the gaps can be achieved just the same with bolts.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Once aligned they will stay aligned' there's always a chance bolts could loose alignment. Also the seams can be completely waterproof, with bolt on wings there will always be that small gap for water ingress, even when using sealant.
Cheers. Luke
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

And when someone drives into a wing at the traffic lights all you need to do is grind the new wing off and weld a new one on :roll:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

In my experience much more rust is caused from a welded join than a bolted one on a car body, and I've always thought that bolt-on wings were a big advantage where future repairs were concerned too. I really can't see how welding them on would help one bit. Also of course, as far as water running through is concerned, that is part of the design. You need to retain the drain towards the back of the front wing to let the rainwater out......
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

There wont be any gaps after welding for water to get between wing flange and inner wing, therefore no rust inbetween.
On another subject I have just acquired 2 new old stock swivel arms with trunnions! still in original boxes!! also got some used hubcaps which are much better than the ones I have.
Luke
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

ManyMinors wrote:In my experience much more rust is caused from a welded join than a bolted one on a car body, and I've always thought that bolt-on wings were a big advantage where future repairs were concerned too. I really can't see how welding them on would help one bit. Also of course, as far as water running through is concerned, that is part of the design. You need to retain the drain towards the back of the front wing to let the rainwater out......

I have opted for a different approach, rather thgan drain though the seam, I have drilled a hole in the wing flange to allow it to drain.
boody227
Minor Friendly

Post by boody227 »

Im sure there are quite a few different ways to solve water trap problems.
Im hoping to have the car for years to come so i am not too fussed about having to remove wings in future as everything underneath suspension wise will be replaced with new old stock items and new bushes. Also if bushes require changing then it will only require the wheel off anyway.
On another subject, im off to the Elsecar Heritage centre on sunday for the barnsley branch event, Im hoping to get plenty of reference photos for when the bottoms of door posts are built up to get them as close as possibe, also get some dashboard/parcelshelf photos too.
Cheers Luke