1968 Police Morris Minor

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cplnobbie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1968 Police Morris Minor

Post by cplnobbie »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Where the boxing plate Is going

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by cplnobbie on Sun May 22, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

This was the floor cut out

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Looking at your latest photos, the work to the rear spring hanger and boxing plate doesn't look too bad, although I'd want to know how he's dealt with the flanges supporting the floor at the sill and the rear seat box, as these look like they were seriously corroded. Better than I expected - but I really wouldn't be happy with the work to the front inner wing. Proper replacement half flitch panels are available - this is what mine looked like.[frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Mark Wilson wrote:Looking at your latest photos, the work to the rear spring hanger and boxing plate doesn't look too bad, although I'd want to know how he's dealt with the flanges supporting the floor at the sill and the rear seat box, as these look like they were seriously corroded. Better than I expected - but I really wouldn't be happy with the work to the front inner wing. Proper replacement half flitch panels are available - this is what mine looked like.[frame]Image[/frame]
Thanks for getting back to me Mark, I've sent a email to chersty morris minors to see If they can do any welding for me, I sent that pm message to explain as did not want to say too much on line.

Regards
Anthony
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It is far from the best welding I've ever seen but.......it depends on what you asked for - and what you paid for. As somebody else has already said, it isn't our place to criticise without knowing all the facts. Frankly, if I couldn't do my own welding, there is no way I would purchase a project that rusty because the costs involved to pay somebody to carry out such work could never be justified. Many people here would say that £5000 or so for a decent Morris Minor saloon is expensive, but it wouldn't begin to pay for the professional body restoration of one like yours would it.

The patches on the front inner wing probably took as long to cut and weld on as replacing the panel with new, so there is little point in paying somebody to carry out such patch repairs because the cost of buying new panels is less than the labour cost of patching/repairing old, rusty ones surely?
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

ManyMinors wrote:It is far from the best welding I've ever seen but.......it depends on what you asked for - and what you paid for. As somebody else has already said, it isn't our place to criticise without knowing all the facts. Frankly, if I couldn't do my own welding, there is no way I would purchase a project that rusty because the costs involved to pay somebody to carry out such work could never be justified. Many people here would say that £5000 or so for a decent Morris Minor saloon is expensive, but it wouldn't begin to pay for the professional body restoration of one like yours would it.

The patches on the front inner wing probably took as long to cut and weld on as replacing the panel with new, so there is little point in paying somebody to carry out such patch repairs because the cost of buying new panels is less than the labour cost of patching/repairing old, rusty ones surely?
Hi Mark
I did not even know he was putting patch repairs In till I went over and he had sprayed It with grey primer, Plan was to fix both sides with the doors and weld the floor, Hence why I bought all the panels and not the front where It has been patched up.

Good news Is I have guys from a Morris garage coming over today to look and see what needs to be done next so they can see If It's been repaired ok.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

ManyMinors wrote:As somebody else has already said, it isn't our place to criticise without knowing all the facts.
I wouldn't dream of criticising any member's own work, but the OP specifically asked for our opinion of work that had been carried out for him as he clearly had concerns himself. He had told us the background and that he had paid quite a lot of money, so I don't think my comments were at all out of place.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Mark, my comments are not in any way directed at you. My comments are to the car's owner, simply suggesting that without knowing exactly what work he asked for, what standard was agreed and what he paid, other forum users are not in a position to make a judgement. The owner seemed to suggest that the welding was being done "by a mate" while he helped rather than a professional restorer?
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Bad news I'm afraid I had two qualified Morris guys come over and basically I'm looking at a min of £2.5 k to sort out my mates work and for them to carry out repairs bearing In mind they don't find anything else wrong, But It looks like he has welded In the panels wrong In the boot and the side If you look at It where repairs where carried out need a lot of sorting and nothing as been welded underneath where he welded In the floor.

Not what I wanted to hear but a lesson learnt.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Gutted for you! Atleast you got the professionals in to check it out. I started on my pillar and inner wing repairs today. Glad I'm doing that myself as im having to do alot of welding and fabrication where it can't be seen once the pillar cover and inner wing is welded on.

What's your plans then? Are you gonna sleep on it?
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:Gutted for you! Atleast you got the professionals in to check it out. I started on my pillar and inner wing repairs today. Glad I'm doing that myself as im having to do alot of welding and fabrication where it can't be seen once the pillar cover and inner wing is welded on.

What's your plans then? Are you gonna sleep on it?

Might list It for spares or repair truly fed up now was so looking forward to stripping It right down and doing a ground up build but £2.5k Is a lot to ask for my better half to give me the go a head, Sums up my year at the moment carrying on from last shame I was so far away from my mate that I could not get to him as I had no car, Was going to do It up as It was what my dad used to drive In the Police to remind me of him....
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Oh thats a shame. Not worth alot as spares. Could you not just get someone to make it sound and safe? Seems a shame to waste it. But also a shame to bodge it. Sorry your having bad luck! Last 6 years have been unlucky for me health wise. Keep us updated whatever you do anyway.

Steve
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Yes I will I found out a few years back I have lesions growing on the brain and last year feel Into a deep depression and this was helping me, but hay ho.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Really sorry you've had such a bad experience. There's quite a few of us on here who started off on the wrong foot - I paid over £3k for what turned out to be as rusty as yours, but I was fortunate that I was able to turn my mistake into an enjoyable if expensive hobby. I was also fortunate in having good health, but really feel for you guys who've had problems. At the end of the day it's only a pile of rusty metal, don't let it drag you back down.

Mark
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Mark Wilson wrote:Really sorry you've had such a bad experience. There's quite a few of us on here who started off on the wrong foot - I paid over £3k for what turned out to be as rusty as yours, but I was fortunate that I was able to turn my mistake into an enjoyable if expensive hobby. I was also fortunate in having good health, but really feel for you guys who've had problems. At the end of the day it's only a pile of rusty metal, don't let it drag you back down.

Mark

Been thinking I might well take It off auction and stick with It even though It might be sitting for a few years outside, Any thoughts ?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yes do it please. It's very sad to see you in such a predicament but left under a good cover until such a time you can re-start would be a great idea. Put all your new panels somewhere dry ( under the sofa :wink: ) so they will be pristine when the time comes.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Good idea. It's only gonna go up in value.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Can't remember if you have anywhere to work on it, but if you have, think about doing a lot of it yourself. I'd never welded before I started on mine, but I've now done all the floors, cross member, chassis legs, spring hangers, sills, flitches, boot. It's a great stress buster, like doing a three dimensional crossword. You can go to evening classes, or there's good material online. Look at the job you did on the rocker cover, you've got the ability, just need to scale it up. And there's no hurry - I'm in my fifth year, and there's slower than me on here! (I'm not actually all that slow, just that I've a lot of other things in my life so drop onto the car when it's convenient)
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Morris Minor 1000 Saloon/Convertible Stormforce Waterproof Car Cover

Looks like a good cover to keep It dry all year round