Need to paint my Moggy

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richo427
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Need to paint my Moggy

Post by Richo427 »

I am getting near to the point on my restoration where I have to find someone to paint my moggy ! Does anyone know someone in the Leicester area they would recommend to do the job for me ? Not looking for concours just a nice paint job as I am planning to use the motor as a daily driver ! ... During the summer anyway.
Many thanks
Richard
crackers
Minor Friendly

Re: Need to paint my Moggy

Post by crackers »

Do it yourself. Sure, you'd have to buy some equipment, but that can be used later. Even if you pay a pro, you'll save heaps by doing the preparation yourself anyway. The worst that can happen is you look at your efforts, decide they're rubbish, rub them back and present them to the pro as a base for his top coats. At best, you'll be able to puff out your chest knowing you painted it yourself, and that's worth a lot.

Start by doing stuff people aren't going to see, just to get your hand in. Do removable panels next, now that you can do a decent job. Finish with the really big stuff.

I've never sprayed a car, but I've done a lot of model aeroplanes and a couple of boats, including one 14 footer. It's more scary than difficult and you can always rub it back and have another go.

Just my thoughts.
Richo427
Minor Friendly

Post by Richo427 »

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried spraying in the past and made a bit of a c... of it. I have done all the primer so just looking for someone who knows what they are doing to finish it.
Also with the spray paint these days can be a bit nasty so not sure if I want to get involved in that...
Many thanks
Richard
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Contact the Leicester branch. I'm certain someone will know of a decent spray shop in your area.

John Hales 01five09 eight13507 J.L.Hales@lboro.ac.uk

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Richo427
Minor Friendly

Post by Richo427 »

Many thanks for that.
I have e-mailed John but not had a reply as yet .. Maybe my mail went into a junk folder as it was sent from my work e-mail ..
Anyway thanks again
Richard
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Try ringing him? He's a very helpful guy :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Richo427
Minor Friendly