Another van.

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Another van.

Post by midget »

Next on my snagging list is the wooden packers that are fitted between cab and body.
Picture shows what there is left of the original ones that I have. Did try to use these as templates for replacement, but not enough left for accuracy. Could not find any of these listed on any of the usual sites?

What have others done,as I am sure these are vital for finishing? Also what was the point of them?

John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I copied the originals and made new ones from pieces of oak. Unfortunately I didn't keep the old ones. They are there to fill in the spaces that are utilised for the hinges on saloons, as lcv's used the same pillar, I think there may possibly have been some lcv's with their own unique pillar, that didn't need these fill ins.
All you can do is shape some timber to fill the spaces so they are flush with the rest of the panel, and seal round them with mastic, from memory, there are holes in the packers to access threaded holes.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for explanation Les. Yes that sounds correct--forgot that the B post would have been the same across the range.
Mine were located with self tappers. I will fabricate my own.
John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes the actual infills are held in place by self tappers but there is a larger hole for access to the thread in the posts.

Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Propshaft »

Yes I did mine exactly as Les described
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Pretty close to completion now that the cargo body is finished apart from the rear doors which need fitting check before paint.
About to fit the body,but wonder if there is supposed to be a seal between the flanges of the front lower front X members of body and van?
I cannot remember removing them, and it is not clear from the Workshop manual that one is required? I cannot see one listed in suppliers lists? I do have a roll of 1" wide adhesive insulation material(from the building trade) which may be used?
Also need to check that the leather mounting pads which are mounted between the rear X bar and body are replicated on the Chassis "hump" at the wheel arch? I am lucky enough to have saddlery close by to have some of their off cuts.
Also waiting delivery of a N/C headlining and windscreen fitting to complete the assembly.
Apart from these jobs I think I'm there...for now.
Sorry about the blurry image--I didnt check it this morning

John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
There is a seal listed in the BMC 1/4 ton van service parts list AKD559 which may be the one you refer to.

It is described as...……. Rubber - Sealing - front body cross-member to 'B' Post. Pt No: ADA591.

Phil

Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

olderisbetter wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:18 pm Cracking effort your putting into it, a decent work space makes all the difference to a project, i just need one i can get a bedroom and a bathroom in.
Love the dog my favourite
Greenie, s wife
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

That small dog in the picture is now quite big, She still has a bit of filling out to do but she is big enough to run the house and loves life.

Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

:D :D qq[ I love rottweilers had one tempremental old thing quite mad.. Yes great dog admiring yours, but well done on the progress of the van. Lot of work but looking good.
Greenie and wife
quote=olderisbetter post_id=636155 time=1552947434 user_id=24000]
That small dog in the picture is now quite big, She still has a bit of filling out to do but she is big enough to run the house and loves life.
[/quote]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Anyone without a dog is missing out on one of the best things in life! We used to have big dogs (Irish Water Spaniels) but with advancing years have found smaller dogs easier. Now totally hooked on Bedlington Terriers!
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Apologies for lack of updates, but I have been busy!
Finally have the Van back from the painters for the final time, and should be finished and on the road "soon". As every one who has attempted/completed a thorough rebuild such as this will know how long it takes to "finish off" the numerous tasks that need to be completed. However, I think that I have all the bits that I need to complete.
Whilst the Van has been away from me, I have returned a MK 3 Marina to the road after 4 years of ownership, so will take a break after finishing van before tackling the 1960 4 door which is next on the bucket list?
Attachments
IMG_20180812_114913.jpg
IMG_20180812_114913.jpg (879.28 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
IMG_20190429_161535 (1).jpg
IMG_20190429_161535 (1).jpg (965.44 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
John
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Loving the look of the Marina, even in Russet Brown! Currently looking for a Mk.3 as a daily driver... preferably a 1700HL Auto... harder to find than a unicorn! 🙄
1956 4-door called Max
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Yes, Russet brown is a "marmite" colour isn't it? Some of us like, it many do not.
I call mine The Flying T*rd.
John
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

2 years 11 months have been spent on this, and its finally on the road since yesterdays MOT, headlight setting and wheel alignment check.
Not finished by a long chalk, but perfectly legally usable. Upgrades to engine/ drivetrain to come.
Upgrades already incorporated are 8 cwt suspension/LP896 rims, discs, usual dials to worry about :wink:, and usable mirrors ala Les.
Must do something about those seats!

Much credit to help from JH Evans.
Attachments
IMG_20190525_172640.jpg
IMG_20190525_172640.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
IMG_20190528_175456.jpg
IMG_20190528_175456.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2872 times
IMG_20190528_175822.jpg
IMG_20190528_175822.jpg (667.4 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
IMG_20190528_175433.jpg
IMG_20190528_175433.jpg (906.7 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
John
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Well done John. That looks very nice. Decent mirrors are important on a van - they certainly didn't leave the factory with mirrors adequate for today's driving conditions. What is wrong with the seats? They look OK to me. Who is JH Evans?
Hope you can now enjoy your lovely van :)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Those reverse rims are great, I’m looking for some!

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Lovely van! 8)
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for positive comments.
MM, the seats are in good condition as they were (I believe) rebuilt during the vans earlier (partial) resto in '09 by a previous owner, but I'm really cramped in that cockpit space. Gonna try moving seat mounts rearwards as much as possible. JH is the great J H Evans (Shrewsbury) who reconstructed the cab.
Les, rims were a lucky find on Ebay which nobody else bid for (!) complete with very good tyres but had to collect from Somerset. No doubt that you will recognise the Mirrors :wink:
John
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

midget wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:44 am No doubt that you will recognise the Mirrors :wink:
Very nice. Where did you source the mirrors?