new moggie project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simonnorth
MMOC Member: No

new moggie project

Post by simonnorth »

Just bought a convertible split screen to restore (will be asking lots of questions) but I need to find vehicle history , where can I go to do that ? does not have V5 or reg plate.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: new moggie project

Post by irmscher »

Why not contact a branch member in your area .
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I got the information regarding my Ex Metropolitan police panda by contacting the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. I got a certified copy of a factory record. They need the chassis or Vin number and engine number but the engine may have been changed. They will give you a certificate quoting the chassis number, the specification i.e. RHD Home market, The original colour, date of build, Date of despatch, Destination (dealer) and other numbers and details of factory fitted equipment. They will not give you the registration number as its the first dealer who registers it. Its not cheap but its nice to have. If you don't have the old log book or any documentary evidence of the original number you will have to get an age related number from the DVLA. I'm sure the DVLA rep for the MMOC will be able to assist with this. Documentary evidence would include the old log book, old MOT certificates etc. showing the chassis number. They used to accept old tax discs but have now stopped this. Having been the DVLA rep for the Austin seven owners club for the past 15 years I do know the difficulties in dealing with the DVLA
[img]jpg[/img]
simonnorth
MMOC Member: No

Post by simonnorth »

thanks for the responses, unfortunately there is no vin plate on the car or reg plate, the engine I am told by the heritage trust is a replacement, is there any way at all I can trace the original history of this car and its original registration number ?
if not then how do I go about getting a proper age related registration number for it ?
I believe from research I have done online that it is a series 2 1954- 1956.
any help would be great as I am new to this restoration thing and would very much like to do it right.
would also welcome any members form the local area (Tewkesbury) dropping by with advise or tips (free tea or beer)
thanks

simon
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Hi Simon
Is the body number plate still on the car? That can help narrow down age of the car. PommReg on this site has recorded many body numbers and may be able to help you.
If it has a strip of body numbers under the bonnet, along the top nearside of the bulkhead, it is a later shell. If it has the square plate, either on the crossmember behind the engine, or on the n/s engine bay floor, it is earlier. The diff and gearbox also have numbers, but they can be difficult to locate. The more information you have that confirms the age to DVLA is important when you approach them for an age related number.