1952 windscreen

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnkels
MMOC Member: No

1952 windscreen

Post by Johnkels »

Hi All New to all this just bought a 1952 morris minor one owner from new and kept in a barn for quite few years. I being the second owner, bought it 3 weeks ago. She is up and running now new shoes pistons master cylinder and pipes. Track rod ends,Head off all the usuel. Back window rubber replaced and now, wait for i...............t new windscreen rubber 2 days later still not in. Dimensions slightly different, a one peice rubber with crome trim . I believe the later ones have a triangular spreader to put in. But not with this. How on earth does this hold in with the little lip that goes over the windscreen rim a strong wind it would be out, were thay stuck in originally? Can i use a later rubber. HELP. It is all ready for the road except for this.
Last edited by Johnkels on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1952 windscreen

Post by RobThomas »

Different techniques are shown in the archives through the search function. Best efforts are about 2 man-hours and worst are "give up after several weeks and pay someone to have a go".

Put seal in a tub of very hot water, smother it in Vaseline and use a plastic coated washing line cord to roll the seal past the lip, as per the archives. I can do it for you for the cost of a packet of chocolate biscuits. :D What country are you in?
Cardiff, UK
Johnkels

Post by Johnkels »

thanks for the reply, My first time to this type of forum, can not seem to find info on fitting the screen in the archive in fact cant find archive when i use the search box. I used a peice of timber between the open doors and placed the screen in position with rubber and inflated three inner tubes behind it pushing the screen and rubber into the frame managed to ease the rubber lip over the rim but when i took the inner tubes away it all feel out.
Did find some info, how many rubber parts are there the main rubber and a centre strip. Fit from the inside and the cord goes around the large lip that sits on the dash Etc. and pulled to the inside of the car.
Last edited by Johnkels on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

pde2000
Minor Friendly

Post by pde2000 »

I don't know if this is any help, but after a kind person shot out one of my windscreens, I didn't fancy reinstalling the whole shebang so vacuumed out all the crumbs of glass, and slid a new one into the slot, having taken out the pillar. Originally I replaced the old rubber, which leaked, and had to get help from the local garage (took 4 of them 2 hours, so the money i paid was a bargain). The new rubber still leaked. I also had to respray as some of the original paint was damaged, and the respray cost a fortune.

My theory is that you could fit the rubber without the glass, and then slide in the sheets of glass. Being flat tempered glass, new ones should be reasonable to obtain. Of course nothing will fix an ill fitting rubber.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996