Vehicle identification issues

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TuckerT
MMOC Member: No

Vehicle identification issues

Post by TuckerT »

Hi all and many thanks for allowing me to join this club. My problem concerns a recent purchase of a 4 door, rose taupe minor registered 1963, its a restoration project to keep me busy, well very busy lol. Problems are dvla website states it has never had its first mot and isn’t registered as a historic vehicle, reg number ALA921A. Also it has clap hands wipers, only one lock on drivers side and old type plain red lights with plain white front lights plus no heater, through my not so good research I get this to a 1962 vehicle, it’s also a 958 engine. Chassis number stamped in bulkhead and matches the v5. Also on purchase I declared SORN, early jan this year but received a reminder through post to declare SORN which I have done again, any ideas especially to mot issue?, thanks in advance
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Vehicle identification issues

Post by ianmack »

Hello and welcome. The mot record only goes back a few years so if no tests are shown it’s probably been off the road for a while. The change to historic exempt is recorded when it is first licensed as historic, so that will be when you have restored it and are ready to use it. Under changing rules it may not need an mot at that time.

The repeated sorn reminders (I’ve had them too) seem to be a dvla glitch. I put in another one and keep a record just in case they get funny about it.

It is quite possible that a late 1962 car might not have been registered until 1963. Minors weren’t always very fast sellers.
TuckerT

Post by TuckerT »

Thank you for the reply, explains a lot, dvla don’t exactly help much but you did, I owe you a drink :D
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

You’re welcome, plus of course 62/63 was a very severe winter, which probably hit car sales.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Welcome to the forum. :)
Another possible scenario, linked to ianmack's comments: Your current regustration number (ALA***A) is part of a block used in the 1980s/1990s to re-register cars which had their original numbers transferred to other vehicles as 'cherished' numbers.

As an example, in 1986 I purchased a 1957 Austin, registered TOY72. The seller transferred the number onto his BMW and the car came into my ownership as KGF801A.

There is a possibility that the DVLA are using the date of transfer as a reference point for first MOT. If the car hasn't been tested since the registration number transfer, this may explain the 'no first MOT' mystery.
As It's not registered as a historic vehicle, the DVLA may want to issue you with another registration number, in the 3-number, 3-letter format. This would in fact be more in keeping with the car's age. Very few licencing authorities used the A-suffix year letter when it was introduced at the start of 1963 as most were still using up issues of 'ageless' numbers until well into 1964.
1956 4-door called Max
TuckerT

Post by TuckerT »

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, would the chassis number be of any further help or information?
Also I guess I’ve got the bug for these cars lol, been trying to join the club but my log in details won’t work so will phone on Monday and join, prepare for more questions from a newbie folks....
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Chassis number will be of considerable help in dealings with the DVLA, as will perhaps body number (tag on top of front bulkhead close to nearside bonnet hinge). Engine number may be useful, but NOT if the engine's been changed and the DVLA haven't been informed. If you have any old documentation such as old MOT certificates showing the previous reg.no. they may help you too.

If you need more advice on here then for your security, don't post the complete chassis number, but show the last two or three digits as asterisks (e.g. MAS3-987*** or MA2S5-1234***).

Incidentally, the lights, wipers and interior you have, were fitted until Sep/Oct 1963. Heater was still optional extra then, iirc. However to muddy the waters, the 948 engine was discontinued about a year earlier.

User name: In case you're not familiar with it, the website logon is usually email address and a Password, not your forum login. :)
1956 4-door called Max
TuckerT

Post by TuckerT »

Thank you, much appreciated, new to this so any advice is a huge help :D
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

No probs. That's what we're all about here ... most of the time anyway! :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Most of the cars in that period were deluxe with duotone seats heater overdoses etc. There were a few standard ones without a heater and single colour seats.

The car could well be a 62 but not registered until 63.
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

It may be worth obtaining a British Motor industry Heritage certificate which will give you build & shipping dates & specification . The fact that you have a V5 with chassis & registration numbers shows that it is known to Dvla . They should be able to change the owners name to yours if that has not been done & then let your SORN be accepted by them .Hope this is useful to you .

Regards Andrew.
TuckerT

Post by TuckerT »

Thank you all for the help, I can confirm it has two tone seats but no heater. Will get hold of the heritage history as the v5 is in my name, I don’t think anything is a problem but just curious as to history and want to bring it back to life as best I can
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Deluxe spec = 2-tone seats AND door-cards. Heater. Bumper over-riders. Rose Taupe = almost certainly red/beige if duo-tone. Red if single-tone. Not impossible that it's a non-Deluxe with an interior from another car fitted later in life.

You certainly shouldn't have too much trouble if you have the V5.
1956 4-door called Max