Restoring Morris Pickup 1971

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Restoring Morris Pickup 1971

Post by SteveClem »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am Bob - "The petrol explosion happens , in an instant , with no time to react whatsoever...."
Too true.......a mate blew himself up not too long ago with a petrol can near a bonfire and spent two weeks in hospital. To compound his bad luck, once he was on fire, he rolled across the ground to try and extinguish the flames - and rolled into a nettle patch! :-?
Nettles now...an abiding childhood memory is the usual Sunday afternoon walk with my parents and Uncle Don/Auntie Doreen. She got nettled having a wee behind a wall and it must have stung in such a sensitive place. I remember Uncle Don and my Dad chasing her around with Dock leaves offering to 'rub it better '.
Didn't get it at the time... do dock leaves really help with nettle stings anyway? :wink:
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

:D forgot to tell you..
Norman was made at Adderley Park
Sold from Colmore Motors Birmingham in 1971 New...
So bit more to add to history...
Greenie
Last edited by Greenie on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

And the Mrs wants to add, regarding nettles, she fell in head first a large roadside patch over 3ft High whilst trying to help her father change a wheel on the old Ford Pop at the tender age of 15.and yes it hurts...
Now back to Norman, the wife going to clean the underneath of bonnet and engine area as soon as I out the way...
:D :D

Dock leaves yes in small areas, she ended up in Devon hospital...
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

SteveClem wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm
myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am Bob - "The petrol explosion happens , in an instant , with no time to react whatsoever...."
Too true.......a mate blew himself up not too long ago with a petrol can near a bonfire and spent two weeks in hospital. To compound his bad luck, once he was on fire, he rolled across the ground to try and extinguish the flames - and rolled into a nettle patch! :-?
Nettles now...an abiding childhood memory is the usual Sunday afternoon walk with my parents and Uncle Don/Auntie Doreen. She got nettled having a wee behind a wall and it must have stung in such a sensitive place. I remember Uncle Don and my Dad chasing her around with Dock leaves offering to 'rub it better '.
Didn't get it at the time... do dock leaves really help with nettle stings anyway? :wink:
Bet that was fun.... Not at the time, but interesting history haha (kindly meant)
Greenie, s wife
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

:D :D :D :D
Oh boy the tank off and being cleaned out. New fuel pipe on. Carb being cleaned, then afterwards the exhaust going on... Fantastic young friends I have,,, we'll be cruising soon my friends. Now just got to find some seats...
A very happy Greenie
Put some photos on showing my mate working (great guy to have around )
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2646 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2646 times
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

:roll: Well Bob, done everything and more to clean out this tank, there's a word for it.. Crap.
Lot of work. Lot of patience. Whole lot of trouble....
So no other way but either a good 2nd hand or new.. My option is the latter.
But I'm okay with that.
Greenie...
:D No burns or explosions folks. A good days work.
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

Update...
New fuel tank purchased better safe than sorry later..
More info tomorrow ....
Now for a rest Greenie.
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

:D :D :D
New tank and new fuel system pipes etc, new filler hose fitted just have to fit new fuel pipe cover.
All braking system completed.
New exhaust. So hopefully I do not need to go under vehicle again fingers crossed 🤞.
So good job done.
To be completed back board and clean. Then I can concentrate on engine. (I previous stated Norman had not fired for 20 years until other day but make that 30 years) so we doing good.
Greenie
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

A few more photos of Norman. Once everything done Norman will go to paint shop for a brand new Coat (of paint) will look great.. But that's not yet.
Jobs to do,,,,
Board in floor.
Engine back together
Front end on
Wing which is on way to me.
Seats Still Looking so if any of you have any please let me know.
Interior clean up
Carpets etc etc
Greenie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (292.07 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (283.41 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (197.07 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (268.63 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Just grabbing my sunglasses for the shine from the new petrol tank ! ( Sometimes , you just have to bite the bullet and admit defeat. Still if you don't give it a go , you'll never know ).
You and your mates have been cracking on. I always enjoy a mate's company , nice to have someone to blame and a lot of banter with , as you push on with the unpleasant jobs in any resto. It's good to have a laugh and you seem to achieve more in a day when you look back at it.
Good progress , well done.
Bob
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

mogbob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:43 pm Just grabbing my sunglasses for the shine from the new petrol tank ! ( Sometimes , you just have to bite the bullet and admit defeat. Still if you don't give it a go , you'll never know ).
You and your mates have been cracking on. I always enjoy a mate's company , nice to have someone to blame and a lot of banter with , as you push on with the unpleasant jobs in any resto. It's good to have a laugh and you seem to achieve more in a day when you look back at it.
Good progress , well done.
Bob
Thanks Bob, got the old tank out no problem. The bullet came when got it out. Trying to clean out, omg stood too long 30 years, completely gone inside, would have wasted my time trying to save it. Yes had a good banter they're all sons of my mates I've lost (time goes by too quick) and they made a promise ,keep an eye on Greenie, good lads, I taught them all in my day, now they assist as broke my wrist whilst in Canada and it never did heal well, (excuse no,) weak yes.but the heart is as strong as a lion and I will get Norman roaring along the roads again, I have too , the wife made a promise to herself to take out the wife of Norman , who asked just for a humble photograph, it will be a bouquet of flowers that day and a spin down memory lane for her, I dare say as my wife says have to take a box of tissues too,
All for now Greenie ,
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

Hi folks... Wing came today, what a good buy, genuine wing from a good bloke off ebay Duncan, what a find and so inexpensive... So nice little job for tomorrow for me. Ordered my fuel pipe cover so it's gradually coming together.
Question : take a look at Norman's engine and tell me the colour, I reckon its BMW green, located at Esm... But would value opinions.... Ordered my side light, once the wing on I can concentrate on engine.

Still looking for seats folks preferably blue.... If anyone can assist.
Greenie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2537 times
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Think you'll find it's BMC green. Probably go a lot faster in BMW green, though......

😎
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

Mark Wilson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:49 pm Think you'll find it's BMC green. Probably go a lot faster in BMW green, though......

😎
Cheers, I thought so too but 2nd opinions count, pleased to say I got the wing on today, so quite pleased...
Greenie
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

Mark Wilson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:49 pm Think you'll find it's BMC green. Probably go a lot faster in BMW green, though......

😎
Cheers, I thought so too but 2nd opinions count, pleased to say I got the wing on today, so quite pleased...
Greenie
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

All systems go on Fuel Tank, Sender Unit , fuel lines etc / Brakes/ Exhaust/ Wing all bolted/ New Backboard all cut to size ready to fit.

Happy so far. Today started working on engine replacing all hoses, pump, bolts , clips , etc , so will keep you informed as I go.

Greenie
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wow! You've been busy! That will be a fantastic little pick-up when you have finished - look forward to more progress. :D
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

Today flushed engine out, renewed water pump, fitted thermostat, fitted side light to new wing, checked and lights all working.
wife been wire brushing panels , tomorrow cleaning engine bay, and then start to paint under bonnet . Panels will be sprayed that I need to fit to front and grill.
In all a good days work achieved.

Still looking for 2 Seats,,,,,

Greenie
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Hi Greenie ,
Cracking on still I see , even roped your wife in ! All hands to the pump. You've got a little diamond there , look after her.
We've got some cracking weather at the moment , so we haven't got that excuse not to get jobs done.
Had a day trip to Wiltshire yesterday with a mate to look over a Jaguar Mk2 3.4 'S' type. Hadn't moved for over 30 years and the thickness of the dust , matched the paint thickness. Not without it issues , mechanical , a mouse had chewed a hole in the rear seat , rust in the front valance, front wings , front jacking points and a small dent in the rear passenger door. He bought it , so it looks as though I'll being dusting down the welder and breaking out the bodywork hammers and dollies soon ! It's a big old lump , not quite so light as a Morris Minor.

Bob
Greenie
Minor Fan

Post by Greenie »

Nice one Bob, even I will look forward to the resto on that, let me know when it gets posted.
Well I'm nearly there, water pump all assemble now, new hoses fitted, fan belts and fan fitted. I am very very pleased the way it's going, and my wife is proud of me too, it's her doing all the postings for you all to let you know how things are going,
I think next week , after a few more jobs like bleeding brakes, and putting back together carburettor and fine tuning tweaking etc , we can crack Norman up, fingers crossed no leaks, (not checked radiator yet ,,,, oooo ) so watch this space!

Still NO SEATS...... Oh dear

Live in B65 area if anyone knows of any....
Good luck with Jaguar ...nice one
Greenie