Traveller Rear Damper Top Mount

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Traveller Rear Damper Top Mount

Post by panky »

As part of my traveller restoration I'm re-building the rear box sections. I've not used off the shelf panels and need to fit a new damper top mount, is it possible to use this type that's used on the pick up and van? It will be welded in but just wondering if the length and diameter is the same as the one used on the traveller.
Tried phoning ESM but the line is out of order.
Cheers

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear-s ... up-p831390
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller Rear Damper Top Mount

Post by philthehill »

The pick up and van top rear damper mounting are totally different to that of the traveller.

You do need to use the correct traveller/car mount (Pt No: AAA1383 (MOSS)) which is fitted/welded into the rear chassis leg above and slightly to the rear of the axle.

This is the right part for your car from ESM with the damper link top mount already in place.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... m-p1238098

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Spotted that one but I've already done most of the repairs and was hoping that, with appropriate strengthening to the box section the pick up one could be welded in place. But if the dimensions are wrong then I'll have to think again but don't want to cut it all out again and buy more panels.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If you do not want to cut out the metal work already done I personally would purchase the ESM repair panel and remove the parts required from the repair panel and weld them into your completed work.
As the traveller rear damper pin is currently not available you are going to make the best of what you can get.

Could you not source a good pin from a beyond economic repair (BER) Morris Minor 1000. The car and traveller pins are the same.

Maybe someone on here has a scrap rear end from which you could source a useable pin.

Phil

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

At nearly £40 per side it's a little expensive but if anyone does have a scrap panel with the mount intact ..............please :)
If not I'll look for a suitable bolt and sleeve and make one up. The old one is not savable but I can get the measurement required.