Seat straps

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Seat straps

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi all
Does anyone know if there is any advantage to using a seat diaphragm instead of the straps, apart from cost as the diaphragm is a lot cheaper than straps.
Thanks Ian

simmitc

Re: Seat straps

Post by simmitc »

The diaphragm is thought to be able to bear a heavier weight. It causes less cutting into the seat foam than the straps, so the seat might last longer. The diaphragm does not perish as quickly as the webbing straps. Now you say it's cheaper. What's not to like? You may need to modify the hooks or drill the frame to take them - I've known some to fit with no modification and others require a bit of work, biut not difficult.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Thanks simmitc
Don't think i need to worry about excess weight just yet :lol: .I had an idea that there was a problem with the diaphragms in the past that were perishing quickly,may be just a senior moment. oh and my seats have wood under seat cushion so rather hard.

burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

All metropolitan police Morris minor pandas were fitted with diaphragms to the front seats to cope with large policemans bottoms. Mine still has the original ones fitted and show no signs of wear.
[img]jpg[/img]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The Police "Panda" Minors had strengthened seat frames and did also had the diaphragms fitted. As you say, they were long-lasting. Whether the new replacement ones will last as long remains to be seen but they are not expensive and I would give them a try. They are not made by the same company as the originals.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I had a diaphragm fitted in my everyday minor for about 15 years before it tore, so not complaining about it! The new one I bought to replace it from ESM did recommend drilling new holes in the frame.

Too many Minors so little time.....
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

I use standard seat webbing which is availae very cheaply. It's been on my cars for 15 years.

You can reuse all the old clips if you prize them open with a suitable leaver and pliers