Door window water wiper top strips

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Door window water wiper top strips

Post by niftyrodman »

Having completely dismantled doors for sandblasting/etch priming, I wondered how they fitted the two longitudinal sealing strips in the top of the doors. I think I may have the answer. Two thirds if the way down, inside the doors, there is a stopper plate. held in by two bolts. I believe that leaving that out temporarily will allow the glass to be wound down below the level of the top face of the door. The two strips can be affixed then the glass wound up through the strips, and the bottom plate replaced last of all. Am I right?
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: Door window water wiper top strips

Post by jaekl »

That Z shaped bracket has nothing to do with stopping the glass. It's just a door spreader or maintainer. With the felt out of the channels there is enough room to work the subject seals into place.
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Well I agree with you on the rear one, but Im not so sure about the front(doors) Anyway, there is no way the glass will fit through the top, glued on to the regulator plate,with the glass wipers in place, so there has to be a way, and when I find out I will tell you. Fiddly things MM doors, but extremely well thought out.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Sleeper »

I used long fine nosed pliers to hold the fixings in place then a spatula to flatten them..

John :wink:
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Are you talking about the strips with spring clips that go either side of the glass in the top of the doors?
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Owlsman »

I have just replaced the outer weather strips on all the doors of my 4 door saloon. I bought the so-called 'alternative' versions which, of course, are not replicas of the original strips but these 'alternative' strips DO actually work by keeping external water from running into the doors......if properly fitted. I bought these strips from C W - but I'm sure other good retailers are available :D .

I also took the opportunity to replace all the original felt glass runners which had become rather flat and tired and were causing the glass panes to flap around a bit. Again, I used the modern rubber backed 'U' shape glass runner strip which you can buy either in a roll or pre-cut for each window (tops and sides).

The whole fitting process is eminently doable, if a bit fiddly, without dismantling any of the window winding mechanisms. When it comes to securing the weather strips on the rear doors it helps if the rear window 'stop' mentioned in the OP is removed (which allows to glass to be wound down, for the most part, below the level of the door) and ALSO to remove the felt glass runners as this just gives a tad more space to force the sealing strip plus securing clip down past the glass and into the door. The front doors are much easier as the glass winds down well below the door anyway.

NB: There is a risk of damaging the paintwork both on the outside and inside of the door so some form of protection is advisable. I used about 4 layers of masking tape but you could use electrical tape.

I haven't yet had chance to road test the car (weather too bad) to see if I notice any improvement in wind noise or mysterious rattles but already, the windows wind up and down with a reassuring tightness and from the outside, everything looks so much neater.
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks for your post. I am always skeptical about anything aftermarket in older cars, so it is encouraging to hear that the glass wiper pieces work. Getting back to the angle pieces held by 2 bolts in the centre of the door, I don't think the rear door pieces make contact with the glass/regulator, but Im pretty sure the front pieces do. We will see. I plan to leave the original glass to regulator sealant alone as it appears to be rock solid. Whatever glue? they used in the assembly has lasted well, and is holding firm on all window glass.