Buddy Needed

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Buddy Needed

Post by simmitc »

I think that Mike has covered everything very well. Of course, it tells you what to do, not how to do it, and that's why you wanted a buddy to help out. The good news is that none of it sounds too bad. There is potentially some welding for the suspension mountings, but until we see photos, we can't be certain. The rest of it is straightforward mechanical stuff. What you need is space to work, the parts to fit, the tools with which to fit them, and someone to show you what to do. At least we now know what's to be done, and so someone closer to you might well be able to assist, once we're properly out of lockdown. If you want to have a go yourself, then we can lead you through it on here.
elinordraper

Post by elinordraper »

Thank you so so much for this reply!
elinordraper

Post by elinordraper »

Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this thread. I'll digest and work out where to start - am I ok to DM you individually if I have questions?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

am I ok to DM you individually if I have questions?
That's what we're here for Elinor, if we can help we will.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

elinordraper wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 pm ....am I ok to DM you individually if I have questions?
Please don't be shy of posting your questions in the forum. Others like me who aren't very technical will learn from the answers to your questions.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

elinordraper wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 pm Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this thread. I'll digest and work out where to start - am I ok to DM you individually if I have questions?
Well you can if you feel that something is of a 'sensitive nature', but to be perfectly honest, asking individual questions on the forums helps other people too.
Also, you might get a few different opinions/options, based on individual experience and/or knowledge.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, the advantage of posting on an open forum like this is that what one person doesn't know / have experience of, someone else on here will.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
elinordraper

Post by elinordraper »

Sure thing - I'll be brave and post on here hehe.
I won't be able to rattle through these repairs particularly quickly as I've got a few things to focus on that will take priority over the coming weeks, but hopefully we'll get there - I totally appreciate all your help and advice.

First question would be how I find an garage that will help with a classic car...?!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi Elinor

I'll let others answer your question about garages, as I've not had a need to go down that route so far.

But I have a question (or 2) for you about your car, as I've not seen it mentioned.

What model is it (2dr, 4 dr, Traveller) and what year?
As you've seen already, Mike (jagnut66) mentioned the differences in Wiper arrangement, so knowing the year/model of the car will sometimes help people give you more accurate answers. :)

Also, do you know much of it's history, has it had any modifications over the decades (that you know about)?
Basil the 1955 series II

DaveH
MMOC Member: No

Post by DaveH »

Question I have, having posted a couple of questions today, is, do I get an email, preferably with a link, when my post is replied to. If not then it would be a nice extra touch - most other forums do that.
Admin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:08 pm
geoberni wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:50 pm
Admin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 pm

I looked at this, and the poster concerned was last active on the forum about 15 minutes after they made this post and hasn't been back since, so hasn't seen any replies.
Sorry Mike but not strictly true.
If she/they remembered they had made the post in Restoration Projects, possibly book marking the page or more likely with a under 45 simply left it active on their phone browser, then they could see everything going on without Login back in.

The Activity aspect of the Forum only shows when people last logged in.
As it's a public forum, anyone can view what's going on.
I suspect many of the infrequently visiting members, e.g. those who seem to only post when they want a question answered every few years, keep up to date by simply 'Lurking' without signing back in.
We're in danger of drifting so far off topic that we can't see it any more (and wouldn't it be ironic if the original poster didn't return because of perceived pedantry? :roll: ) but the 'active' time is updated when a page is refreshed, which it would have to be to see any new content, and the forum doesn't automatically log you off for a longer period than we're talking about here so unless they posted and then deliberately logged off (is that likely?) they've not been back since. Anyway, back on thread, let's hope our original poster revisits the thread and updates us, but failing that, I don't think we need to beat ourselves up too much - it's hardly unknown for people to post once and never return
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

DaveH wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 am Question I have, having posted a couple of questions today, is, do I get an email, preferably with a link, when my post is replied to. If not then it would be a nice extra touch - most other forums do that.
That would be up to you to set your Board Preferences in the User Control Panel.

Click your Username (in the top right on a computer ) and the options are User Control Panel / Profile / Log Out.

Of course if you haven't got them set to do so, you'll probably not see this reply...... :roll:

I've sent you a PM too, but if you haven't got the notifications set, I guess it's pot luck if you'll notice it.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

So nearly a month since I posted above and DaveH hasn't picked up the PM I sent him, so I guess that makes my point about people and Forum notifications....
Basil the 1955 series II

elinordraper

Post by elinordraper »

Decided to sell :( as I'm moving and haven't spent any time on her during lockdown, so feel like she deserves a more determined home.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143671754908#shpCntId
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Ebay is a good idea, if you get the start price right!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Decided to sell :( as I'm moving and haven't spent any time on her during lockdown, so feel like she deserves a more determined home.
Sorry to see you go Elinor, I hope you still feel you can come along to Minor related events and even a national if you can get to one. Everybody is welcome, with or without a Minor.
If you still like Minors maybe you can try owning one again one day.
Good luck with your move.
Best wishes,
Mike.