Restoration . Order of work

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Restoration . Order of work

Post by Andyhereford »

New to forum and very new to having a Morris Minor. Hopefully in the next few day I will have delivered a 1968 Almond Green 4 door minor. It has been with the seller for the last few months having welding done / panels replaced to the inner wings the rear valance, one spring hanger and one sill ladder. According to the seller ( a garage which does classic car restoration) the rest of the body work and floor pan is sound. The rest of the body work....bumpers, bright work, etc is as you would expect on an old car which appears never to have been restored. He is fitting four new wings and four good condition used doors. The interior is complete but a bit tatty and it is missing the headliner, although there is a new one with the car.
The car runs reasonably well and stops.
The only slightly unusual thing is that the car has had a metal sunroof fitted by a Morris Minor Garage when it was exported to Hong Kong in the1969.
I will be seeking some advice, at a later stage , on how I can fit the headliner around.
I have a reasonably well equipped garage and would hope to at least attempt everything myself. I am retired so time is not an issue and I got this car as a project for me to learn / re learn some of the skills that I have long forgotten.
The question that I would like to ask now is is there a logical order to the various tasks to be tackled in a restoration of this nature ? I just want to try to produce a sound, tidy and reliable car for trips out. It is not intended to be an everyday runner.
Thank you for any advice. I will of course try to put on some pictures once I get the car and start to do some work on it.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Restoration . Order of work

Post by philthehill »

My first aim would be to get the car roadworthy and run it and do a running restoration over a period of time. Once the Minor is on the road you can enjoy it and you can learn all about the foibles of a Morris Minor.

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Re: Restoration . Order of work

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Great advice Phil . Drive it and enjoy it !