Chassis Leg Measurements

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Chassis Leg Measurements

Post by Nourish »

I wonder if someone could help me out with a measurement of the chassis leg/chassis leg extension?
This is a very slow project and some years back I fitted a new O/S chassis leg to the position of the old one (Don't know who made it), to make it fit I had to cut back the leg where it left the floor pan stepped down to the chassis leg extension.
Now I'm looking at fitting the nearside leg and I have just finished making an alignment jig. As you can see in the photo I also have the same problem with this leg.
Chassis Leg.jpg
Chassis Leg.jpg (382.73 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Can anyone give me their fitted measurement between the centre line of the suspension pivot bolt and where the level kicks up to the floor panel (marked ?)
Cheers
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Chassis Leg Measurements

Post by panky »

I've got my suspension stripped off at the moment, I'll check for you tomorrow.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I make the ? measurement out to be 13 3/8". Hope this helps.
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Thank you Panky.
My new Chassis leg measures 13 1/4" but measuring from the jig to the same place on the Chassis Extension measures about 13 7/8" - I can't understand what's going on. I've rechecked and rechecked the jig and the set back from the bulkhead measures to that of the Alignment Fixture drawing - 2.262".

This would mean that the Chassis Extension is back 1/2" - I would of thought I would see some serious buckling.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

My measurement came from an original chassis leg but with a small repair in that area so could be a couple of mm out.

Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

The Tie Plate Extension (the plate with the big oval hole in it that the exhaust passes through) does have a kink in it. So placing a steel rule to the back of it the rule will rock. By placing another rule across the chassis leg/suspension tube the rock can be measured at the centre point - mine appears to be at the very centre of the tube and 3/16" back.
Would you measure this again for me - pretty pretty please?
A.jpg
A.jpg (303.27 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
B.jpg
B.jpg (319.72 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Cheers

Martin
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I measured again, both sides, and I get 13 3/8" both sides. I replaced the nearside leg so the new one is the same as original. Have you tried fitting the torsion bar to see if it will fit? If it does the maybe the cross member has been fitted squiffy putting your measurements out.
If there are any other measurements you need let me know.
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Thanks again Panky. Yes the cross member is in the wrong place and I'm in the middle of taking it back off. About four years ago I had welded it in to the old legs.
This time I'm taking the dimensions from the shock mount faces on the bulkhead via the jig.
Alignment Jig.jpg
Alignment Jig.jpg (318.74 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
What I am looking for but can't find is the position of the Tie Plate Extension. Ignoring the flange at the bottom does the plate line up with the centre of the suspension tube in the chassis leg?
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG (303.28 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Got you, I'll check in a bit
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I've used the side with the original chassis leg for measurement.

Straight edge to the outside end of the tie plate extension panel away from the rolled edge of the hole.

Line drawn using a straight edge on inner end next to chassis leg

John
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

John - Thanks so much for your time - it's been a great help.
The blue line you've drawn looks like it aligns with the out side of the suspension mount diameter - mine looks to be a good 3/8" back from that.
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 3321 times
Would this little crease be the reason?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yep both the alignments I took , from either side of the tie plate extension, agree. The crease might be contributing but I think the main problem lies with the cross member, if it was to be moved back slightly everything else should line up by the look of it. The kick up in the chassis leg will match the other panel and the eye bolt hole will be better positioned.
Does anyone else agree/disagree?
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Come on John - I spent a long time making that Alignment Fixture I have to use it now!
The fixture determines where the legs fit in relation to the bulkhead shock mounts and therefore the X member (which I'm in the process of taking off now). The drawings for the fixture were I hope a copy of the Morris drawings and match up with Dons measurements posted elsewhere.
The Tie Plate Extension continues up into the bulkhead x member and there' s some rot up in there on mine so taking reference from Taupes build I shall replace mine and see how it all fits then. And now would be a good time perhaps to replace the Chassis Extension box section with a heavier version.
Thanks again
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

It's a great fixture. The important dimension is shock mounting to eyebolt hole,both vertical and horizontal. Otherwise the castor will be off. Of course being square with the rear axle would be nice.
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Yes checked and checked those dimensions.
The axle location will then be taken from the front suspension mounts that's datum is the bulkhead cross member so all wheels should be pointing in the same direction.

On a slightly different note - The nearside chassis leg I gather doesn't need the pedal pivot bushes or master cylinder hole so I can fill those in and make them water tight?
Cheers
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Those holes were blocked off with squares of tarred asbestos paper or later on millboard stuck inside the chassis leg with hot bitumen glue.. a bit of roofing felt is a good substitute if you want originality..

T
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Ok - Still looking for the reason why the chassis legs aren't fitting. I've removed the one leg I fitted a while back and the X member.
Here is a picture of the N/S wheel arch with the Chassis Leg Extension removed.
Toe Board Panel.jpg
Toe Board Panel.jpg (280.98 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
You can see that I'm holding a 12" rule to the top of the toe board and a 6" rule at the bottom measuring the off set of the toe board at 2".
Should this panel be flat or does it kick back 2"?
Cheers
nslocomotives2
Minor Friendly

Post by nslocomotives2 »

Hey that alignment jig looks awesome. mine is a pile of plate at the moment, im not sure it will be as good looking but it should do the job just the same..

awesome though...
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Should this panel be flat or does it kick back 2"?
Sorry about the long delay. You probably already know the answer. But just in case...

It does kick back. I can't confirm the angle right now. I'll get back soon.

Don
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

Thank you Don, Yes I think it does kick back but not 2".
I've cut out that floor/toe board joint and remove and repaired the chassis leg and cross member to re fit with my alignment jig. At the moment the N/S chassis leg doesn't reach the floor that is really out of shape due to my earliest attempt at welding so that might have to come back out too!. Last night I made up a spindle to fit through both chassis legs and the fixture so later I'll fit up the O/S leg and see if they're both parallel with the sills - fingers crossed as I stumped at the moment.