Immobilisers ?

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gerard.mcgivern
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Immobilisers ?

Post by gerard.mcgivern »

Can anyone recommend a secure alarm system or immobiliser which can be fitted to a convertible
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Re: Immobilisers ?

Post by 8009STEVE »

2x hidden switch. 1 for ign, other for fuel pump
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above, plus chain it to a lamp-post.
ImageImage
gerard.mcgivern
Minor Friendly

Post by gerard.mcgivern »

Cheers guys.
I did buy a wheel clamp off the internet.However it is not a perfect fit to the smaller wheel of the Minor.
pyebibby
Minor Fan

Post by pyebibby »

18 year old Morris Driver
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

Due to the fact I've had to completley rewire the power side of the electrics (70 amp alternator + two batteries), I have mine rigged so that not only is there an ignition cut-off controlled by the alarm, and a fuel pump isolator switch, but you also need to press a tiny little button once the key is in the ignition to toggle in the power to the rest of the car.

Sadly the arrangement I have wouldn't make much sense in any other car as it's a by-product of the way that the ammeter is wired - it's hooked up so that you can switch between monitoring the power coming out of the alternator against the power going into/coming out of the battery - it's the switchable nature that actually requires the button (elsewise I'd need to have a relay powered at all times)

Fortunatley this means that even with the keys, the alarm fob and having located the fuel cut-off, without knowing where the tiny button is (it's 1mm across and very hidden), then you are going nowhere - even with the starting handle!
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

I have a hidden switch for the fuel pump, original morris steering lock (from a later van I think), a 'claw' steering wheel lock and a very noisy siren alarm that is activated by movement that I lock around the clutch pedal. I always forget the fuel switch and about 2 minutes after driving off think that I am going to break down, flick the switch and bobs your uncle.

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Forgot to mention the rottweiler in the boot sleeping and the door handles being wired directly into the mains of the house. Any other anti theft measures will be considered.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

battery disconnect switch,ot take the rotor arm off when you leave the car .
[sig]5641[/sig]
sandy2

Post by sandy2 »

this tip wont stop your mog from getting nicked, but it could help in getting it back.... reg. a cheap p.a.y.go mobile phone with www child locate... i.e car name dorris... [vodaphone seems th best ] hide the phone in car.....DONT FORGET TO RECHARGE PHONE EVERY WEEK.... god forbid the worst happens you can find rough location of car via there website or by text direct to your own phone...... i have tried it out myself and when i send FIND..... texts i get a reply within 30 seconds telling me within a few hundred meters of the cars location...... THIS COULD BE A GREAT HELP TO THE POLICE and could even help catch the gutter snipe that stole it.......... every little helps :o
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

I have been thinking about a tracker system for my minor but am not too sure how well it would work, has anyone ever fitted one?
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

This topic is making me nervous.

The thought that someone might steal George mortifies me.

Are low lifes really interested in them?

Perhaps I should be thinking about an alarm. I like the sound of what alainmoran has done but I don't understand it!!! :oops: :oops:
George
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Tracking devices are getting cheaper all the time, less than £40 delivered including charger. For another £10 or so you can remotely cut the ignition and or fuel pump, but that would be very simple to get round on a Minor!

Just so no-one is under any illusion, it would take your average lowlife less than two minutes to by-pass any type of electrical cut out or switch and rotor arm/HT leads are the first thing they check. A bit more work if you hide the battery though! A fuel cut off device connected to the pipe under the floor might help.

Not much will stop it being winched into a small covered transporter!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Please remember this forum is open for all eyes to read. I don't think any ideas as to how to keep our cars safe from thieves should be openly suggested on here. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Most seem to be stolen either for a Joy Ride -or to break for parts. They are stolen because they CAN be stolen - unlike modern cars that are hard to steal unless you get hold of the keys. So simple measure like fuel isolator/remove rotor arm etc will defeat the 'chancer' - but won't trouble a professional who wants the car for parts......... Not a lot you can do there - but I like the phone tracker idea !
ImageImage